Video Tutorial (Windows Vista): File Organization and How to Burn a CD

Is your SVG Collection starting to pile up and you're worried about what might happen if your computer crashes? Do you want to take some precautions to protect your data?

The hard drive is one of the most vulnerable components in our computers because it contains parts that are constantly moving. A hard drive is made up of a stack of platters or disks that are constantly spinning at very high speeds. In addition, the hard drive also has a needle-like arm (similar to that of a turntable, but more advanced) that reads and writes data to the drive thousands of times a day using electromagnetic technology. The hard drive WILL eventually stop working, so creating backups of your data is very important! We have created a 12+ minute tutorial that shows you how to organize your files and create backups to CD using Windows Vista!

If you have any additional questions, please use the contact form at the top of this page!

This tutorial covers:

• Desktop Overview
  • Working with Zip Files
  • File Organization
  • Backing up SVG files by burning them to a CD
  • and more...

Part 1

Part 2

16 Responses to “Video Tutorial (Windows Vista): File Organization and How to Burn a CD”

1. Diane April 30, 2009 at 7:16 pm #

Thank you so much for the great free files and the tutorials, they are very helpful!

2. Cindy-craftygirl April 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm #

You guys are the best..Love your stuff and thank goodness for the knowledge. I was worried about all the files and bought a flash drive..which I never used one before but its easy. Ya think that was a good idea or not? They are cheap ya no…Well thanks again

3. Carmen April 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm #

Leo, thank you for your tutorial. I will burn my files so I don’t panic again when I can’t find my flash drive :) Yeap! I found it :)

Carmen

4. Deloris May 1, 2009 at 4:18 am #

Thanks for the free .svg’s.
    Tutortials are so helpful, thanks for those also.

Deloris

5. Jacque May 1, 2009 at 6:15 am #

Where do I find the XP version?

• leokowal May 1, 2009 at 7:30 am #

Hi! It should be released today!

6. Ketah Cavanaugh May 1, 2009 at 6:41 am #

Thanks so much for the free files and tutorials. They have been so helpful. I haven’t used my cricut machine so much as I do now. When I get stuck on something, I run to the site and low and behold the tutorial is right there. I have learned so much just using the Sure Cuts a lot and listening to your tutorials
    Thank you so much.

7. Jacque May 1, 2009 at 7:13 am #

OK, lets see if I have this right. Then after burning the CD…to use this disc I, 1)place cd in computer 2)open SCAL 3)open project 4)in the look in box: find the cd 4)open it, and now it’s just like using my scal files I have stored in my computer????

8. Jacque May 1, 2009 at 7:14 am #

Is there a way to copy all the fonts and dingbats that I have downloaded onto a disc?

9. leokowal May 1, 2009 at 9:30 am #

Yes, to use your SVG files, you would simply do as you normally do. File >>> Import SVG and then select the file, except this time off of the CD drive.

10. lesliefolks May 2, 2009 at 8:34 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing this information with us!! I know it seems silly but im really not at all a computer person so your info totally helps me!! I knew I could burn back up cd’s but had no idea how to do it!! thanks!! so once you put it on the cd should you erase them from your svg folder…or not…im sure its either or but is one way better or no??

11. Marla May 4, 2009 at 4:42 am #

What a great idea for a tutorial ~ I would love to see one for the Mac also!!

12. Kathy September 26, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

I have downloaded my object. I have un zipped it and put it in a file under my name. How do I open it to cut with my Cricut? I went to my SCAL and tried to find it under my file name and it would not let me open it in my SCAL.

13. Shannon October 27, 2009 at 6:45 pm #

How many files can you fit on to a back up disk? For instance could you have unzipped all those files you had in there and backed them up on one disk?

• leokowal October 27, 2009 at 7:00 pm #

A standard CD holds about 700MB of data. An SVG file varies from 5KB to 500KB so I would say that you could definitely unzip them and fit thousands of them on a CD! Depends on the size, but yes, you could fit our entire collection of SVG files five times (store and blog) on one CD.

14. Peggy Cooper November 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

Wonderful instructions, even for a computer challenged old person. :)
    Thank you so much.