Deluxe Pinwheel Assembly Video Tutorial

Welcome Spring winds with these big festive beauties! Decorate your house or porch, bring them to a baby shower, adorn a gift with one, create a centerpiece around one for a family picnic and take photos of people enjoying them!

Click here to download the FREE pinwheel SVG kit!

Project Supplies:

• Two pieces of double sided cardstock
  • 6" 18 gauge wire
  • Two 1/4" wooden beads
  • Wooden dowel, 3/8 or 1/4 wide ribbon, acrylic paint and 1/4 wide double-sided scrapping tape (or substitute a festive unsharpened pencil)
  • Three eyelets and eyelet setter (optional)
  • Button or bling (optional)

Instructions:

• Cut coordinating double-sided cardstock to 8" wide by 9" high and cut both SVGs at 7" wide (Keep Proportions). Then glue the two pinwheel shapes together in the center. Overlap each pinwheel "petal" so that one is atop the next all the way around the pinwheel. If you have an eyelet setter and eyelets, affix an eyelet through the center of the pinwheel. Also put an eyelet through four consecutive petals and then through the other four petals. You can skip the eyelets, but they make the pinwhel spin a little smoother and last longer.
  • Paint 18" long wooden dowel with coordinating acrylic paint. Drill tiny hole through top, then wrap with 1/4 or 3/8 inch ribbon, affixing with double-sided scrapping tape (optional). OR use a festive unsharpened pencil, skipping the dowel, drilling, paint and ribbon, instead poking the wire through the eraser. (Guaranteed to not look as fun and fancy, however!)
  • Cut five-inches of approx 18 gauge wire, bending a half inch of it at 90 degrees. Glue this half inch part between the two small circles, with the wire coming out of the hole in the one circle. Glue layered smaller flowers and circle with a button or bling to this. 3D Zots or pop dots work nicely here too but are optional.
  • Thread a wooden bead on next, then your pinwheel, then another wooden bead, then your wooden dowel, leaving an extra quarter inch of wire between the bead and the dowel, so that the pinwheel can spin freely. Wrap the extra wire tightly around the dowel.

Paper used: Isabelle Collection by Anna Griffin.

Family Party Cupcake Wrappers SVG Kit

All downloads are in Zip format and include the .svg files for use with your Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) software. If you like this file, please leave some feedback below!

16 Responses to “Deluxe Pinwheel Assembly Video Tutorial”

1. Bee May 23, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

Thanks for this cool tutorial. Those pinwheels are gorgeous and I cannot wait to make some with my kids. I think they will be quite impressed that we can do that ourselves!… ;-)

2. Ruth May 23, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

I did finally get a pinwheel together, but I was putting all the petals in one eyelet, which was very hard. Doing just half of them will work SO much better! Thanks Mary for the video.

3. Gabrielle Rogers May 23, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

I just love your happy pinwheels, Mary. Thanks so much for the tutorial – it’s very generous of you to share this with us all! You are also absolutely adorable! Hello to Leo too!

4. mary jo May 24, 2010 at 11:53 am #

Mary,
    Great video, you do such a great job creating these wonderful things for us and showing us how to make them. This one will be fun to make for Lily and Landy. They love to run and we have plenty of “breeze” here in Wyoming! Thanks again, mj

5. Denise May 25, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Great video. I’m taking my Cricut to Florida for Memorial weekend, we will be making a lot of these for the kids. Thanks!

6. Yolunda May 26, 2010 at 7:47 am #

Thanks so much for the tutorial. It was very helpful.

7. Becky May 29, 2010 at 7:04 am #

Pinwheel looks like fun. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you.

8. Reets June 2, 2010 at 8:33 am #

This is awesome. My husband even is excited to help me with this. Im going to make a pinwheel bouquet.. Oh this is exciting. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this tutorial. You guys rock !!!

9. Rebecca February 25, 2012 at 9:27 am #

These look super cute!! I don’t see a download link though :(

• Rebecca February 25, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Haha, nevermind just saw it. :)

10. Iwunder5 April 30, 2012 at 11:47 am #

i dont see a pattern for the paper/pinwheel???

• SVGCuts April 30, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Look below the video on this page where is says “Click here to download the FREE pinwheel SVG kit!”

• Iwunder5 April 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

site is down, is there a name for the pattern? On Cricut you get the pinwheel pattern on retired mother’s day 2010, just need the name of the pattern

11. Iwunder5 April 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

FOUND IT, THANK YOU!

12. Iwunder5 May 1, 2012 at 8:09 am #

I ended up not being able to make the 8 petal pinwheel because I have a cricut and the cartridge has a different pattern for the pinwheel on Mother’s day 2010. But their design is only intended for a 4 petal pinwheel, you can’t make the 8.  Bummer!

13. Carole September 20, 2012 at 10:04 am #

I was looking to make patriotic pinwheels for my Grandaughter’s wedding and couldn’t seem to find a site to help me put them together. You have a great system and I appreciate it so much. Your pinwheels are fabulous. Thank you.