Thienly's Corner – Gift in a Jar

Every year my mom makes the best tasting homemade jam. With these jar toppers and tags, a plain jar can be transformed into a beautiful, gourmet-looking gift!

SVG Collections Used:

Strawberry Lane SVG Collection
Vintage Rosettes SVG Collection
Moonlight Garden Party SVG Collection
Robin's Return SVG Collection

Materials:

• Jar(s) of Jam
  • Ribbons
  • Buttons
  • Stickles Glitter Glue
  • Brown Ink Pad for Distressing
  • Pop-Dots Adhesives
  • Glue Gun (for attaching buttons)
  • Cuttlebug and Cuttlebug folders (Swiss dots for strawberry and Tiny Bubbles for raspberry)

Dimensions

Here are the exact shapes, sizes and colors I used. Size to the dimensions shown below with “Keep Proportions” checked in the Shape Properties window (unless otherwise noted)

RASPBERRY TAG

tag_top.svg (floral) 1.98 " wide by 2.66" height strawberry red
tag_top.svg (rectangle) 0.63" wide by 1.96" height raspberry red
tag_bottom.svg (tag) 4.60" wide by 1.96" height cream
tag_bottom.svg (flower) 1" wide pink

Design Tips

Thienly - SVGCuts Design Team Artist

• Pick out all the colored papers and make sure that they go together - having the right color is the KEY to any project!
  • I added Stickles glitter glue to the strawberries and raspberries on the tags and embossed the strawberry and raspberry on the jar topper to add pizazz!
  • I tied the ribbon around the jar first, lifted the tied-ribbon up, and covered the jar top with vellum and placed ribbon over it (otherwise, it slips off and hard to tie a bow)
  • I distressed all the edges with brown ink, which gave it the country/homemade-feel.

This idea can be applied to anything that can fit into a jar. It's amazing how much the homemade embellishments add warmth to your gift. Have fun making and giving! - Thienly

13 Responses to “Thienly's Corner – Gift in a Jar”

1. Beatriz July 28, 2010 at 10:23 am #

LOVE IT!

2. Reets July 28, 2010 at 10:57 am #

Oh how adorable.. I love the way you used different sets together. I love doing that too, but in no way as good as you do. Great job and you are such an inspiration to us all!!!

3. Celeste July 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Love this… Absolutely beautiful

4. Susan Ross July 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

These are the cutest! I’m going to get my daughter to start helping immediately. We usually give away or sell about 200 jars of our various pepper jellies and salsas. Some people just want the plain jar at discount, but you wouldn’t believe how much more people will pay if you just make it gift ready. We’ll have to change ours to match our product, but I bet we already have alot we need from the two garden set and last year’s garden set. Love the idea.

5. Yolunda Jones July 28, 2010 at 6:21 pm #

I love the jars. I have been admiring Thienly’s work for a few months and she is so very talented. I think she will be an asset to the SVGCUTS Team. Congratulations on the new team member!

6. Julee Patterson July 29, 2010 at 11:34 am #

This is so cute. Love it…nice work!!

7. Deb July 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm #

Great job. It is nice to see some actual crafts made using these terrific svg files. Keep it up!

8. Belinda Brown July 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

Thienly,
    You know how highly I think of your work! And this project is no exception, it amazes me how you can take something that doesn’t seem to be to exciting and you turned it into a work of Art. I’m so thankful that I found your blog and all the inspirations you present. God Bless you, I look forward to watching your career bloom and expand for all to see. Your family is so very fortunate to have you recording their lives with such beauty.
    Sincerely,
    Bee

9. Karen A. July 30, 2010 at 8:41 am #

These are just beautiful! What a wonderful addition to a special gift — Thanks SO much for sharing!!

10. Leonie July 30, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

I just love these. Plan to use peaches for my peach preserves. I had a little trouble sizing the house tag. It didn’t come out right. Suggestions?

• leokowal July 30, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

For the dimensions that use the width and height, don’t use the “keep proportions” button. See if that helps!

11. Lenae November 10, 2010 at 8:41 pm #

I just adore this! What kind of paper did you use on the tags? It looks so nice and heavy and almost glossy?I can’t ever find paper that looks like this! Thank you

12. thienly Azim November 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

Lenae – thanks for the comments! I think that this would also be so cute to make it for a bigger jar, make it Chrismassy and put in baking inside.

For the paper, I don’t think that I used anything special… My three colored card stock that I use are Bazzill, DCWV and co’ordinations. I know that Mary uses American Crafts which are supposed to be awesome, but can’t seem to get that in Canada where I live. I think what may be adding to the glossy/dimensional look is from inking, using embossing on the house and adding foam dots under some layers to bring them out. Otherwise, it must be leo’s wonderful photo editing skills :) Hope that this helps.