Ever since Mary produced the Explosion Box SVG Collection, I've always wanted to create one of these beautiful boxes. I wanted to make something meaningful, and decided the theme to be "our family", focusing on the love and the strength that binds us together. The focal point is the tree, and it seemed appropriate for this project - "Our family is like the branches of a tree. We may grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one. Each of us will always be a part of other." - Anon. I filled the box with lots of love, and just to give you some idea, it has 88 of Mary's SVG cut files (all distressed at the edges), 6 buttons, 6 brads, 52 pearls and rhinestones, 14 pieces of ribbons, and 18 pictures. I believe that this box captures the love and how we are so close to each other.
SVG Collections Used
Explosion Box SVG Collection
Moonlight Garden SVG Collection
Rosie's Ribbon Strips SVG Collection
Camping at Fox Ridge SVG Collection
My Mom's Attic SVG Collection
Celeste's Cutesy Corners SVG Collection
Memory Garden SVG Collection
Robin's Return SVG Collection
Here are the exact shapes, sizes and colors I used. Size to the dimensions shown below with “Keep Proportions” checked in the Shape Properties window, unless otherwise noted on the dimensions chart.
|Explosion Box SVG Kit|
|folded_exterior_a.svg||11.2" wide||sand brown|
|plain_lid.svg||11.22" wide||charcoal grey|
|middle_layer.svg||10.89" wide||aqua blue|
|interior_layer.svg||11.2" wide||moss green|
|embellishments1.svg||11.2" wide||various papers and colors|
|flourish.svg||2.03" wide||charcoal grey|
|scalloped_rectangle.svg||3" wide and 3.5" high||moss green|
|frame1.svg||2.6" wide and 3.35" high||charcoal grey|
|frame4.svg||3.25" wide||moss green|
|tag.svg||2" and 2.25" wide||various papers and colors|
|flower_5_petal.svg||0.7", 1.20", 1.35", 1.65", 1.70" wide||various papers and colors|
|Memory Garden SVG Collection|
|scalloped_middle.svg||3.25" wide||ivory white|
|label3_top.svg||4.28" wide and 1.4" high||sand brown|
|Moonlight Garden SVG Collection|
|buds_bottom.svg||2.06" wide||moss green|
|gate.svg||1.35" wide (9 welded together)||black|
|oval_frame||3.22" wide and 3.64" high||black|
|Rosie's Ribbon Strips SVG Collection|
|Robins Return SVG Collection|
|12x12_eyelet.svg||7.84" wide||charcoal grey|
|Camping at Fox Ridge SVG Collection|
|tree_top.svg||2.18" wide and 2.10" high||moss green|
|tree_bottom.svg||2.33" wide and 2.52" high||espresso brown|
|Free SVG Collection - My Mom's Attic|
|doily_hearts.svg||1.50", 2.75" and 3.25" wide||various colors|
|Celeste's Cutesy Corners SVG Collection|
|flourish2.svg||1.28" wide||ivory white|
|flower_flourish1.svg||1.82 "wide||ivory white|
|scalloped1_bottom.svg||2.68" wide||ivory white|
|branch_bottom.svg||3.6" wide||moss green|
|Free SVG file - Spring Flourish Square|
- I chose a paper collection that I wanted to work with (American Crafts patterned paper - Metropolitan) and chose the colored cardstock accordingly.
- The tree was made with 4 identical cut-out trees (two of which are mirror images) and each of them were scored vertically down the middle and attached to one another at corresponding sides.
- The fence was merged to another (welded 9 of them) until the needed width was achieved, welded a strip to allow me to fold the bottom portion of the gate to adhere that to the surface.
- Instead of tags in the pocket, for one of them, I cut out doily hearts. It fit perfectly and was very cute!
- Instead of using patterned paper, you can use Mary's 12x12 files (I used 12x12 eyelet) or create your own by filling the mat with a shape/pattern and cut it to give it a neat effect. I cut 12X12 eyelet file and then cut a plain lid over that. It gave it a "laced" look and it was backed with a colored cardstock.
- Don't always be limited to using files the way it was made - from a file, there's many opportunities to get creative. Most of these dimensions of the files don't matter - I sized them according to the pictures and embellishments I had.
Think outside the box, and have fun! - Thienly