Thienly’s Corner – “Celebrate” Pop-up Lever Card

I've had the Breezy Backyard Lever Cards SVG Collection and Premium Pop-Up Cards SVG Collection for sometime now, and I've been wanting to do something with them!  As usual, I wanted to do something different, and occurred to me that I could combine the sets to make a pop-up lever card! That's exactly what I did!

SVG Collections Used

Breezy Backyard Lever Cards SVG Collection
Premium Pop-Up Cards SVG Collection
An Afternoon at Auntie Elaine's SVG Collection
A Day at the Carnival SVG Collection
Birthday Elements SVG Collection
Nested Lacey Shapes SVG Collection
Buckles SVG Collection

Dimensions

Here are the exact shapes, sizes and colors I used.  Size to the dimensions shown below with “Keep Proportions” checked in the Shape Properties window.

Breezy Backyard Lever Cards SVG Collection
outside.svg 11" wide multi-colored dot/stripe patterned paper
inside.svg 11" wide blue loop patterned paper
Premium Pop-Up Cards SVG Collection
happy birthday pop_up.svg 9.6" wide (break apart, delete the card base and place inside lever card) blue loop patterned paper
happy birthday pop_up.svg 9.6" wide (break apart and delete the card base) brown
An Afternoon at Auntie Elaine's SVG Collection
banana_split_top.svg 3.1" wide (cut 2 - trim the top of one to create a dish) brown
banana_split_middle.svg 3.1" wide pink
banana_split_middle.svg 3.1" wide (break apart to just cut the cherries) red
banana_split_bottom.svg 3.1" wide cream
A Day at the Carnival SVG Collection
pennants.svg 5.5" wide (cut 3, use one as base, two for pennant colors) brown, yellow, orange
balloon_top.svg 0.7" and 0.85" wide (cut 4 each) brown, pink, blue, green
label4_top.svg 3.35" wide yellow
label4_bottom.svg 3.2" wide orange
Free SVG file - Delicate Ribbon 04.26.10
3.5" wide brown

Design Tips

Thienly - SVGCuts Design Team Artist

• Coordinate all your paper colors/style together before you begin.  It's easier to achieve the look you want when you use various patterned papers from the same line (mine was A Walk in the Park from Echo Park).
  • I inked all the edges with brown ink to give it a retro-look.
  • For the cut files that I have marked as a blackout, use the blackout option in SCAL - this will be the bottom layer to the corresponding file.
  • Take the "word" portion of the pop-up card (delete the card base) and place it over the inside fold-line of the Breezy Backyard Lever card. I cut just the "word" portion with another color, trimmed the top and bottom portions of it, and attached it over the pop-up portion on the card to make the work stand out.
  • The ribbons used to tie the card together were adhered to inside of the two layers on both top and bottom, before the two card portions were attached together.
  • To adhere the ribbon used to make the tag float - one end was adhered to the inside of the two card layers, then the ribbon was placed between the two tag files (marquee blackout), and the ribbon was attached to the top portion at the back.  The ribbon was only attached to the card itself from half-way point to allow the card to fold out.
  • Presents and hat were made from multiple cuts (with various colors) for one file, and I manually cut the parts apart and adhered together to add more colors.
  • Use pop-dot adhesives to add another dimension to the pop-up card (I used pop-dots for the "celebrate" label, banana split, cake, hat, presents, balloons and pennants.

This may sound a little complicated, but it's real easy and gives it a fresh feel by adding a little twist to the two original amazing cards collection.

Have fun making them!

- Thienly

18 Responses to “Thienly’s Corner – “Celebrate” Pop-up Lever Card”

1. Celeste August 22, 2010 at 11:40 am #

I absolutely love love it… I can’t wait to give it a try…Can I come spend the day with you so you can show me some tricks….

2. Cali August 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Wow!! This is really nice… Hey Im with Celeste…Can I come too? I love this idea. I can wait to give it a try. Very creative. Thank you for the inspiration!

3. Carmen Lucero August 22, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Oh, thanks so much for the instructions. I have a cousin who loves pop-up cards and I will be making this one, but with the baby kangaroo file :)

Carmen L

4. PatsyR August 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

Beautiful work! I have 2 nephews birthdays coming up shortly and this will be great for them. Thanks for sharing!

5. Ruth August 22, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

Sounds like a good idea to me, let’s all come!

6. Cheryl Becker August 22, 2010 at 7:58 pm #

Great work! I’ll never come close to what you do!

7. Cindy Johns August 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

WHOA!!! So COOL, Thienly!!! Thanks for making another fabulous project for us to try! :D

8. Sarah H August 23, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

Wow, wow, wow, Its making me nauseous how cute this is! Put thienly behind a camera so we can learn a few things!! hahaa

9. Sarah H August 23, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

Okay so that sounded rude… so we can learn a few things from HER… Not that anyone else on the design team hasn’t!!!! I didnt mean it like that!

10. KarenA August 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm #

Wow – once again you grace us with the most amazing project. Absolutely fabulous – thanks SO much for sharing.

11. Carolina Girl August 24, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

Absolutely love it too….how dimensional can we go….well..evidently a long way by looking at your wonderful creation. Thanks for the inspiration…I will be trying!!

12. Bee August 25, 2010 at 6:08 am #

WAOW!! I did wonder if it would be possible to combine those two (lever + pop up) but didn’t quite feel up to the challenge! ;-)
    Your card is absolutely stunning! It’s like a gift in itself. Now I’m gonna pick up my jaw off the floor and try to get on with my day… Thanks for a great start to it! :-D

13. Belinda Brown August 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm #

I wonder what the street value is of this! ? It’s Crackalackin’ Thienly!

14. Thienly Azim August 25, 2010 at 10:47 pm #

Awww… you guys are too sweet! Yes, you guys can all come over and we’ll have a craft party! Wouldn’t that be fun! I would love to meet all of you guys someday – wouldn’t that be so neat? I think that Leo and Mary should set up SVGCuts retreat and all meet up someday! I have so much fun playing with these files. Hmmm…. what project should I do next???? and for anyone that made these cards, post them up on the forum – I would love to see it!

15. Lori August 30, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

WOW – this absolutely amazing !!!! I can’t wait to try this great card ! I can’t even begin to tell you all the things I love about this ….. Thank you SO much for sharing it with us !!

16. Jennie Burak January 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

Wow, this card is just AMAZING! I will definitely be trying this when I get more accustomed to using my Cricut. I have just started a couple simple projects and so far so good… But this project is something I would LOVE to work toward. Very cool!!

17. Grace January 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

I love your work Thienly! You really put your heart into it. Thank you for sharing your projects – as I don’t have your imagination but still love creating beautiful projects – I am giving this card (well my attempted version of it) to my daughter for her birthday tomorrow and I know she is going to love it. Thank you again! I have my hopes set on doing one of those boxes you made too (the one that you put a 3d tree and fence in the middle of – WOW) I am hoping to give that to my other daughter as part of her graduation gift.

18. melody ford January 29, 2014 at 6:00 am #

You are awesome. i just started with SCAL yesterday. In about a year, I will come back to this!