Thienly's Corner - I Choo Choo Choose You Train

I never had a chance to make one of these trains when it was first released. When my recent stamp purchase contained the sentiment "I Choo Choo Choose You.",  I was inspired, and realized that this train was not limited to just Christmas!

SVG Collections Used

1.  Santa's Train SVG Kit
2. Cuddly Animals SVG Collection

Dimensions

Here are the exact shapes, sizes and colors I used.  Size to the dimensions shown below with “Keep Proportions” checked in the Shape Properties window, unless otherwise noted.

Train Engine

Santa's Train SVG Kit (Santa's Engine)
white.svg 6.48" wide (cut 3 large circles only) light brown 1
red.svg 6.47 " wide (cut only the wheel) light brown 1
blue.svg 6.47 " wide cream
dark_green.svg 6.47 " wide (delete candies) cream
engine_front.svg 6.47" wide red
engine_back.svg 6.47" wide red
box1.svg 8.90 " wide red
box2.svg 8.90 " wide red
Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Polar Bear)
black_details.svg 0.60" wide (delete toes) black
white_body.svg 3.17" wide (delete feet) brown and dark brown

Passenger Car

Santa's Train SVG Kit (Elves' Passenger Car)
white.svg 6.06" wide (delete all but wheels) light brown 1
red.svg 6.06" wide (cut only window frame, cut top diagonal design off) red
blue.svg 6.06" wide cream
traincar_front.svg 6.06" wide pink
traincar_back.svg 6.06" wide pink
box1.svg 9.30" wide pink
box2.svg 9.30" wide pink
Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Sheep)
black_details.svg 1.10 " wide (delete toes) black
white_body.svg 3.54" wide (delete feet) cream
Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Monkey)
eyes.svg 0.94" wide black
tan_detail.svg 2.61" wide (delete feet) light brown 2
brown_body.svg 3.88" wide dark brown
Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Bunny)
eyes.svg 0.82" wide black
pink_details.svg 0.86" wide (delete toes) pink
body.svg 3.68" wide (delete feet) cream

Caboose

Santa's Train SVG Kit (Penguin's Caboose)
white.svg 6.86" wide (cut only wheels) light brown 1
blue.svg 6.86" wide light brown 1
green.svg 6.86" wide (big rectangle only) cream
red.svg 6.86" wide pink
caboose_front.svg 6.86" wide red
caboose_back.svg 6.86" wide red
box1.svg 8.80" wide red
box2.svg 8.80" wide red
Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Giraffe)
dark_brown_details.svg 1.53" wide (delete feet) dark brown
tan_body.svg 2.05" wide light brown 2
Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Pig)
eyes.svg 0.77" wide black
dark_pink_details.svg 1.16" wide dark pink
light_pink_body.svg 2.36" wide pink
Free SVG File - 08.20.10 - Kangaroo
brown.svg 4.21" wide light brown2 and tan (baby roo)
pink.svg 0.44" wide (delete feet) pink
black.svg 0.36" wide (delete feet) black
Free SVG File - 01.10 - Heart Balloon
heart_balloon_top.svg 1.5" wide (break the two parts apart) and cut 4 red, pink, cream, yello cream

Instructions

• Emboss the train front/back/box1 and 2 pieces before assembling. I used a scoring board to make perfect folds.
  • Assemble all the animals (I used pop-dots for the nose) and have them glued from the back side of the window, before adhering the window frame to the car.
  • The heart balloons were attached onto the jewelry wires, which were adhered with glue gun.

Design Tips

Thienly - SVGCuts Design Team Artist

• Try to choose color combinations that work well together and try to stick to 4-5 colors.  By using few colors, but using different textures and dimension, the project stays simple and beautiful.
  • I used Swiss Dots embossing folder for the train, and used one of the gears from the Clockworks embossing folder to add interest to each wheel.
  • Instead of thin rectangular strips on the train SVG, I used ribbons on some parts to add texture.
  • You can bend the wires to make balloons look like they are floating in the air.

I had a lot of fun creating this train.  It would be really cute to fill the train with Valentine candies and little stuffed animals.  This makes an adorable Valentine gift for your special someone!

- Thienly

19 Responses to “Thienly's Corner - I Choo Choo Choose You Train”

1. Celeste Lombas January 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

ohhhhhhh I love it… You are soooooo aweseome Thienly… You are always thinking way outside of the box….

2. Lenae January 17, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

How cute. You spent a lot of time on this! Wow

3. jennifer c January 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

Very cute!

4. Leonna January 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

This absolutely adorable! Lots of work I bet.

5. Annie Tobin January 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Thienly…so sweet!! have been meaning to ask you…you always ink edges and that along with the embossing really gives your projects texture! what kind of ink do you prefer and how do you apply it. I find often that just using a pad doesn’t give a subtle look like yours! would love to know your procedure!

6. Pat Long January 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

What a great way to demonstrate using more than just the one file. The Cuddley Animals look so cute with the train! I always admire your pieces, Thienly. You are very creative. Pat

7. Bee January 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

LOVE it Thienly! This is absolutely adorable!! <3 <3 <3

8. Debbie Barba January 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

You do AWESOME work Thienly. This is adorable!

9. Tamara Tripodi January 17, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

This is one of the cutest paper crafts I’ve ever seen! Awesome, as always!!

10. ictmom January 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

This is one of the cutest things I’ve seen. What an imagination! You’ve helped me see that this train has endless possibilities!

11. SHEILA C. January 17, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Soooo Awesome! I bet you can make one for all holidays events. kewl.

12. Donna De Graw January 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

I love this train but I don’t understand how you made it but I do love it and it looks like I can make it if I had the right tools to make it. I would love to follow your blog so someone tell me how I can do that.
    Sincerely
    Scrapp’n Nana

13. Amy January 18, 2011 at 3:01 am #

Great idea to combine these collections for Valentine’s Day!

14. Tina January 18, 2011 at 5:32 am #

this is fantastic!! I’m going to do up one of these for my 3 yr nephews bday in a couple month’s/ wondering though the final length and width?? thanks so much!
    Tina

15. Calicreationz January 18, 2011 at 10:43 am #

Your so clever!!! darling!

16. theresa January 18, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

You are AMAZING!!!!! i LOVE THIS the wire on the balloons is just a cherry on top! ~tebug

17. Thienly Azim January 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

Thanks for all your comments! It keeps me motivated to create more lovely things when people enjoy them!

Tina – the final length is about 22″ leaving a little bit of space between each one. The width is 2.5″.

Donna – the SVGCuts blog has all the info on the dimensions and files needed to create this, but if you would also like to follow my blog, it is http://modpaperie.blogspot.com. THanks for your interest!

Annie – thanks for the comments on inking and embossing! I love both of those techniques and find that it brings out any project! I actually ink right from the pad, except that I try to use the dried up ones for the distressed look. The new pads leave too much ink and won’t look as subtle. I know that there’s ink edge dabbers out there, and hear that it works well.

Thanks for all the questions!

18. Crystal Williams January 19, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

This is just adorable! I looks so cute I want to play with it! LOL Great job thanks to great svg files!

19. Tina February 1, 2011 at 6:50 am #

perfect length and great width!1 thanks so much!!
    Looks like with all the snow we are getting in the next 36 hrs I’ll have plenty of time to work on this, provide we don’t loose power to the cricut!!