I never had a chance to make one of these trains when it was first released. When my recent stamp purchase contained the sentiment "I Choo Choo Choose You.", I was inspired, and realized that this train was not limited to just Christmas!
SVG Collections Used
Here are the exact shapes, sizes and colors I used. Size to the dimensions shown below with “Keep Proportions” checked in the Shape Properties window, unless otherwise noted.
|Santa's Train SVG Kit (Santa's Engine)|
|white.svg||6.48" wide (cut 3 large circles only)||light brown 1|
|red.svg||6.47 " wide (cut only the wheel)||light brown 1|
|blue.svg||6.47 " wide||cream|
|dark_green.svg||6.47 " wide (delete candies)||cream|
|box1.svg||8.90 " wide||red|
|box2.svg||8.90 " wide||red|
|Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Polar Bear)|
|black_details.svg||0.60" wide (delete toes)||black|
|white_body.svg||3.17" wide (delete feet)||brown and dark brown|
|Santa's Train SVG Kit (Elves' Passenger Car)|
|white.svg||6.06" wide (delete all but wheels)||light brown 1|
|red.svg||6.06" wide (cut only window frame, cut top diagonal design off)||red|
|Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Sheep)|
|black_details.svg||1.10 " wide (delete toes)||black|
|white_body.svg||3.54" wide (delete feet)||cream|
|Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Monkey)|
|tan_detail.svg||2.61" wide (delete feet)||light brown 2|
|brown_body.svg||3.88" wide||dark brown|
|Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Bunny)|
|pink_details.svg||0.86" wide (delete toes)||pink|
|body.svg||3.68" wide (delete feet)||cream|
|Santa's Train SVG Kit (Penguin's Caboose)|
|white.svg||6.86" wide (cut only wheels)||light brown 1|
|blue.svg||6.86" wide||light brown 1|
|green.svg||6.86" wide (big rectangle only)||cream|
|Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Giraffe)|
|dark_brown_details.svg||1.53" wide (delete feet)||dark brown|
|tan_body.svg||2.05" wide||light brown 2|
|Cuddly Animals SVG Collection (Pig)|
|dark_pink_details.svg||1.16" wide||dark pink|
|Free SVG File - 08.20.10 - Kangaroo|
|brown.svg||4.21" wide||light brown2 and tan (baby roo)|
|pink.svg||0.44" wide (delete feet)||pink|
|black.svg||0.36" wide (delete feet)||black|
|Free SVG File - 01.10 - Heart Balloon|
|heart_balloon_top.svg||1.5" wide (break the two parts apart) and cut 4||red, pink, cream, yello cream|
- Emboss the train front/back/box1 and 2 pieces before assembling. I used a scoring board to make perfect folds.
- Assemble all the animals (I used pop-dots for the nose) and have them glued from the back side of the window, before adhering the window frame to the car.
- The heart balloons were attached onto the jewelry wires, which were adhered with glue gun.
- Try to choose color combinations that work well together and try to stick to 4-5 colors. By using few colors, but using different textures and dimension, the project stays simple and beautiful.
- I used Swiss Dots embossing folder for the train, and used one of the gears from the Clockworks embossing folder to add interest to each wheel.
- Instead of thin rectangular strips on the train SVG, I used ribbons on some parts to add texture.
- You can bend the wires to make balloons look like they are floating in the air.
I had a lot of fun creating this train. It would be really cute to fill the train with Valentine candies and little stuffed animals. This makes an adorable Valentine gift for your special someone!