Sure Cuts A Lot 3.0 Q&A

Sure Cuts A Lot 3.o was released this week and with it came lots of questions. We'll do our best to try to answer them all! If you have additional questions, leave a comment below! For more information, please visit Craft Edge, the official home for Sure Cuts A Lot software. Sure Cuts A Lot 3.o was released this week and with it came lots of questions. We'll do our best to try to answer them all!

Sure Cuts A Lot 3

Yes and no. While you can save projects in the form of SCUT3 files in Sure Cuts A Lot 3, you cannot open these SCUT3 files in Sure Cuts A Lot 2. But you CAN save your projects as SVG files in SCAL 3 and open them in SCAL 2. To do this, simply click File >>> Export SVG in Sure Cuts A Lot 3 and then import the file using Sure Cuts A Lot 2.

The Cricut compatible version of Sure Cuts A Lot is no longer available for retail sale by Craft Edge (the manufacturer) and/or the resellers. You may however be able to purchase the software from an independent party on sites like Ebay! (Edited 2/28/2014 - Beware that these programs are usually pirated). The new Cricut Explore includes Cricut Design Space which supports SVG files.

To the best of our knowledge (based on public information), it was settled out of court.

SCAL 3 currently supports the Craftwell eCraft, Black Cat Cougar / Lynx, BossKut Gazelle, Silhouette SD, Craft Robo / Graphtec, Wishblade, select USCutter machines, Sizzix Eclips and KNK Zing. There are additional machines that will be added to that list in the near future!

Of course! Our SVG files will always be compatible with SCAL 2

No, there is no need to upgrade to SCAL 3 if you are only using the Cricut.

We have confirmed that it will always be free as long as you have a valid copy of SCAL 2.

No, if you install SCAL 3, it will install as a separate program leaving SCAL 2 intact. You will still have the ability to cut to your Cricut.

We’ve not confirmed this, but it’s likely due to the pending lawsuit between Craft Edge (makers of Sure Cuts A Lot) and ProvoCraft (makers of the Cricut). Our best guess is that if and when the lawsuit is settled, (based on the results of ProvoCraft Vs. Make-The-Cut!) Craft Edge will not be able to sell Sure Cuts A Lot with Cricut support, so this is their way of continuing the program without Cricut Support

No, you will have two separate copies of SCAL. SCAL 2 and SCAL 3. SCAL 3 will install as a separate program.

Upgrading from SCAL 2 to SCAL 3 is completely free (as of April 14th, 2011)! Click here to visit the upgrade form, follow the instructions on the page to get your upgrade key! (Note: When typing in your SCAL 2 activation code, make sure you type the dashes too (15422-15444-14111-15484-15472)

42 Responses to “Sure Cuts A Lot 3.0 Q&A”

1. Jennifer Claypoole April 16, 2011 at 9:41 am #

Thanks for how clear CUT your answers are about the new SCAL 3. Which of the new machines have been testing that you like the best and why?

• SVGCuts April 16, 2011 at 9:46 am #

More on the machines in next few weeks! We’ve been busy though :)

2. Debi Tullier April 16, 2011 at 10:10 am #

This software works with the Ecraft so well. I can’t believe how fast and true it cuts with the SCAL 3 software! Thank you so much!

3. Deborah Manis April 16, 2011 at 10:29 am #

one question that may come up is do scal3 files open in scal2 and they do. So it was nice he made it backward compatible. I installed scal3 with no problems on my mac, it’s in a diff spot than scal2 so I can still open both. I’m still going to use scal2 with the cricut, but I’ll use scal3 with the silhouette and hopefully soon the KNK.

4. Chris Ashworth April 16, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Thanks for clearing up some of the queries for us. It has been a bit of a worrying time for us especially when my friends and I have just purchased a Cricut create and SCAL for a colleagues retirement present!!! Fraid I’ve been a bit ignorant and didnt realise there were so many other machines available!! I think PC are being soooo short-sighted!! When I need a new machine I’ll be looking at something else – quite like the look of the laser cut Black Cat Lynx you made the video of!!

Does all this mean we wont get anymore updates to Scal 2?

• SVGCuts April 16, 2011 at 10:59 am #

The SCAL update question was answered on the QA page!

5. Norma Jean April 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

Thanks for the Q and A. Which of the new machines do you recommend?

6. Beth April 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Thank you so much for your clear answers to many of the questions I had when I saw that there was a SCAL 3.0.

7. Jennifer April 19, 2011 at 8:57 am #

I have scal2 and use the cricut create. Do I install scal3 only if I have the machines that are compatible with it?

8. Tina April 20, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

So SCAL 3.0 will not work with the cricut? What is the difference with 2.0 and 3.0?

• SVGCuts April 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

At this time there isn’t much difference except that SCAL 3 has support for machines that SCAL 2 doesn’t have and vice versa

9. Pat April 21, 2011 at 11:18 am #

I had to replace my hard drive on my computer and then had to reinstall SCAL. All has gone well and then I installed SCAL 3.. No problems. Thing is do I just do the steps you show on the Video to instal the drivers using SCAL after I open it, or must I still go and do it by downloading the trial of the cricut software like I did before with SCAL 2.

• Gabby April 30, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

How did you reinstall when you replaced the hard drive? I’m thinking that my laptop is going to need to be reset to factory but I have been leery of doing it simply because I was afraid to lose SCAL 2…

10. Bill Burton April 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

So does the update just add machines, or does it add features (like grid inside shape, borders/edges, and so forth)? Obviously I’m comparing to FairyCut here..

11. Bunny Hamm May 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

I only have the Cricut Expression2 and want to buy SCAL2. Will that version work on the new expression or did PC build in something to prevent its use?
    thanks!

• SVGCuts May 9, 2011 at 9:41 am #

Hi Bunny, the E2 does not work with Sure Cuts a Lot, I’m so sorry.

12. Bunny Hamm May 11, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Thank you….I’m sooooo disappointed they did that. I had looked at all the fantastic ways to use your product and couldn’t wait to get creative with it.

13. connie oldroyd July 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

It’s too bad that Cricut feel the need to sell us expensive cartridges everytime we want to make something with our machines. I haven’t had my expression very long–six months and now I hear all these rumblings. It’s a shame because I do buy some of their cartridges anyway but love the ease of access I get from SVG cut files. They come all in one with pictures instead of searching in books that come with the cartridges. I find the cricut cartridge files confusing at times, especially the layer ones. Anyway so sorry the competition was so heafty that cricut felt the need to do this.

14. Fiji4us August 28, 2011 at 2:58 am #

Does the SCALv2 work with Cricut Expression 2?

• Anonymous August 30, 2011 at 5:18 am #

Yes! It does work if you can find a copy.

• Veronicagnz January 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

can you cut with expression2 with SCAL2?
      I can’t do that!!!
      I bought a Expression 2 a week ago and I could not use the SCAL with the machine!!!  I only have two cartridge and here, in Argentina, I don’t know where buy them!!!!

• Veronicagnz January 26, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

can you cut with expression2 with SCAL2?
      I can’t do that!!!

15. Anonymous September 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

The Expression 2 will not work with any version of SCAL.

• jscrap October 2, 2011 at 6:20 am #

If I buy the old expression will it work with my SCAL 2?

• Kh7905 June 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

How come some people say it works with the cricut expressions 2 but some don’t?

16. Anonymous September 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

At this time, it does not. Sorry about that.

17. Anonymous November 11, 2011 at 6:26 am #

Yes it does! But not SCAL 3

• Kggony November 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

How do you get SCAL2 to work with my Expression2?  I hooked up the cricut, but it won’t read the machine with my SCAL :(  HELP!  Just upgraded to Expression 2 because I thought it would still work.

Any advice would be great :)

• Tammy J March 31, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

SCAL (any version) has never worked with the Expression2. Sorry! (I really am sorry, since I quickly found that I MUCH preferred svgs to cartridges and bought my version of SCAL before I even possessed the Cricut (I did know I was getting it for Christmas that year))

18. Bjinar December 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

Will scal 3 work with the eclips?

• Anonymous December 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

No it will not. You need the eCAL software!

19. Tellesclan March 14, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

I was going to purchase scal for my cricut expression. Since it’s no longer available and sounds to me like provo is being stingy with their products, i will be selling my cricut and getting the sizzix eclips WHICH COMES WITH A SCAL BUNDLE!!! Plus, the cartridges are way cheaper with way better images.

20. Cougar March 21, 2012 at 4:44 am #

Can anyone tell me if the Black Cat Cougar & SCAL 2 or 3 are Windows 7 64bit compatible?

• Tammy J March 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Yes they both are, I am running Windows 7 (64 bit version), my cutter is an 18″ Black Cat Cougar and I have both SCAL2 and SCAL3, I have never had any issues and everything works perfectly! :-)

21. Jeanie Wallace April 5, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Can anyone tell me how to make the text bold with SCAL?  I have a B symbol but it disappears and does not come back until I remove the T command…..I have watched every tutorial online and not one of them explains how to do this.  HELP!

22. Gail Plouffe September 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

I just bought an cricut expressions and I would like to purchase a Sure Cuts A Lot, but after all I’ve read I’m not sure if I will be able to use it in a Cricut expression/ Please help, Thanks

• SVGCuts September 30, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

If you can find a copy of Sure Cuts A Lot 2, it will work with the original Cricut Expression.

23. Andrew Smith May 27, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

I’ve used Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro (3.061) with a 30″ TC US Cutter. It worked for a while, though the cut width was more than one/eighth narrower than designed. After plotting a few files of about 200 KB, it stopped. It gets stuck in Cutting mode. I can’t cancel the procedure: I have to Force Quite the program. The plotter receives a signal from the computer (a Dual Core Intel MacBook Pro OS X (10.9.2). The plotter will draw a test square, though. I had a clean install done on my computer; re-installed SCAL3; bought a new USB cable; turned the plotter on and off numerous times. I don’t know if the problem is the software or the plotter.

If I can’t resolve the problem soon, I’ll purchase another software. If that doesn’t work, I’ll through out the plotter and buy another brand. Any advise would be appreciated.

24. Sandra June 2, 2014 at 7:24 am #

Is there a way to converto sctu3 files to svg?

• SVGCuts June 3, 2014 at 10:56 am #

Just Save As an SVG!

25. Erin August 11, 2014 at 11:45 am #

I just purchased SCAL v3 and I installed it today. I put it on my computer and finshed the install. I was hoping that it would still work since i haven’t update my cricut (the original one).
    I went to cut my svg image but “CRICUT” wasn’t on the list. Am I out of luck completely and have I just wasted my time and money? I was sure hoping I would be able to use my cricut with SCAL :l .. Is there a way to go around making it work still.

• SVGCuts August 13, 2014 at 5:40 am #

SCAL 3 does not support the Cricut.