Weddings are a beautiful time for sharing so why not create something fantastic for the bride and groom! I thought it would be really great to create a wedding cake that could collect all the wedding cards and then later be a keepsake. Imagine this at the actual big day or how fun would it be at the bridal shower! I had so much fun designing this that I went a bit further and designed a total wedding decoration ensemble, including a bouquet of butterflies! How fun! I challenged myself and made mine in all white, but it would be great if done in the wedding colors! Hope you enjoy making these as much as I did.
SVG Collections Used
- White Cardstock - Get it from PumpkinCartCrafts.com
- ½” Wired white ribbon
- Embosser (optional) I used the Cuttlebug Floral Fantasy Folder
- Long silver floral stem wire (you can purchase at Michaels, in packages)
- Wire cutter (like you would use for jewelry)
- Boning tool (optional)
|Big Boutique Boxes (Square Flat Trio)||Size||Paper Color|
|box_bottom.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 1||11.000"W X 9.420" H||White|
|lid_top.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 1||11.000"W X 9.520"H||White|
|box_bottom.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut into above lid_top||9.750"W X 6.761"H||White|
|sides.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 4||11.000"W X 11.198" H||White|
|box_bottom.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 1||11.000" W X 7.628" H||White|
|box_bottom.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut into above box bottom||8.500" W X 5.894" H||White|
|lid_top.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 1||11.000" W X 7.728" H||White|
|box_bottom.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut into above box lid_top||8.500" W X 5.894" H||White|
|sides.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 4||11.000" W X 10.838" H||White|
|box_bottom.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 1||11.000" W X 5.835"H||White|
|box_bottom.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut into above box bottom||7.000" W X 4.854||White|
|lid_top.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 1||11.000" W X 5.935.00" H||White|
|Rectangle_Horizontal (shapes in SCAL) cut into above lid_top||4.392" W X 4.351|
|sides.svg (Square Flat Trio) cut 4||11.000" W X 9.949" H||White|
|My Big Day SVG Collection|
|swirly.svg (cut 28)||1.760"W X 3.129"H||White|
|Breezy Meadow Butterflies SVG Collection|
|9bot_.svg (Cut 8 )||2.180"W X 1.985" H||White|
|9bot_.svg (Cut 5)||2.930"W X 2.668"H||White|
|9bot_.svg (Cut 1 )||3.680"W X 3.351"H||White|
|Amelie's Accessories SVG Kit (Adele's Purse)|
|petals1.svg (Cut 9 petals)||9.001"W X 1.585" H||White|
|petals2.svg (cut 9 petals)||9.001"W X 2.761" H||White|
- In SCAL insert hole cuts and top slit (rectangle) into the boxes.
- Cut all pieces and assemble the trio boxes as shown in Mary’s video. There will be a slight variance as some of the tops and bottoms will have holes in them. (Large box – hole in lid only. Medium box – hole in bottom and lid. Small box - hole in the bottom with rectangular slit on lid (slit should go from corner to corner, this is the top of your cake). Medium and small box – when assembling the sides, fold an extra ¼” on the bottom section (this will keep the holes large enough for the cards to fall all the way to the bottom of the cake)
- Emboss your swirl.svg elements and glue them on to the sides of your lids. (3 on each side of the large box, 2 on each side of your medium box, 2 on each side of your small box)
- Glue boxes together. Glue bottom of medium box to lid of large box (turn it over and press the underside with your finger to give it a nice tight seal) be sure to center it. Glue small box bottom to medium box lid, same .
- Put the lids on your boxes and you should have your cake assembled.
- Emboss 2 of the small butterflies, 4 of the medium butterflies and 1 large butterfly.
- Glue 4 of the small plain butterflies to 4 of the medium embossed butterflies, glue 1 medium plain butterfly to 1 large embossed butterfly (only glue the center of the body, to keep them 3D)
- Glue butterflies to the cake. Largest butterfly - bottom box, Medium butterfly - medium box, Small butterfly – small box
- Save 2 small plain butterflies and two small embossed butterflies for the topper (do not glue them together yet. You will also use two of the already assembled med/small butterflies for your topper.
- Assemble your flower petals. You will have 3 large petals and 3 small petals for each flower. Curl all your petals then glue together. Assembled you will end up with 3 flowers total for the cake top.
- Butterfly topper Wire - Take 3 pieces of long floral wire and twist them together at the half way point. Use your wire cutters to cut wires. Cut one wire to 4.5” (measure from point you twisted), cut one wire to 6.5”, cut one wire to 9.5”, cut all three bottom wires to 1.5”, bend bottom wires to form a tripod, so it will stand on top of your cake.
- Attaching butterflies to wire topper: Glue the 2 small, embossed butterflies to the longest wire (sandwiching wire between the butterflies). Glue 1 small plain butterfly to each side (remember only to glue the body of your butterfly, so it will be 3D). Cut a few strips of white scrap paper to ¼” W x ½”L (use these to glue the other two butterflies to the remaining two wires) use strips to glue the topper onto the cake as well.
- Glue ¼” strips to bottom wires (sandwiching wire between the paper) do this for all three wires.
- Glue topper to top back corner of cake.
- Glue the three assembled flowers around the cake topper, to cover the wire base.
- Cut 56” of ribbon, tie in a bow just below the tallest butterfly. Curl the ribbon with a pencil, let it drape at the back of the cake.
- Add elegance with embossing
- Emboss everything with one folder
- Stay consistent with your theme
- If elegance is what you are going for, keep things simple
- Have fun and get creative ;)