CHA Summer 2011 - The Future Of Personal Cutting Machines

The recent fray between Provo Craft and Sure Cuts A Lot / Make-The-Cut has spawned a new breed of savvy paper crafters that are looking to break free from the limitations of cartridge based personal cutting machine systems. Companies like Boss Kut, Pazzles and Black Cat already support SVG files via Sure Cuts A Lot software while the Sizzix Eclips, despite being a cartridge based system, announced at CHA that they also open up SVG support by partnering with Sure Cuts A Lot! Silhouette also announced that they will be releasing a proprietary software that includes SVG support. Check out the videos and Q&A below!

Sizzix Eclips

[faq id="5"]

Silhouette Cameo

[faq id="4"]

8 Responses to “CHA Summer 2011 - The Future Of Personal Cutting Machines”

1. Leo Kowal July 21, 2011 at 4:39 am #

What do you guys think of the Cameo?

2. Jenallyson July 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

The Craftwell also supports SCAL. I am surprised the PC took on SCAL and MTC. It seems to me that they would not want to alienate any customers when the market is just beginning to peak with competition. I would have thought that they would look the other way and hope that software customers would eventually buy carts/new equipment as needed. Now I know a whole bunch of people who are selling their Cricut’s and refuse to purchase cutting machines from PC. Having great competition makes this possible, so yay for companies that are getting the message.

• Leo Kowal July 21, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

Totally agree with you Jen. Now is the time for them to allow third party software, not the other way around.

3. lynchristian July 28, 2011 at 12:41 am #

I love the features on the new eclips.  I wanted that machine a year ago because of the stability and the reputation of the Sizzix company…but I waited as Kevin said software was coming.  Glad I did because now it is going to be amazing.  The laser is great, the print to cut will make it better than the Cricut Imagine and the price is much cheaper as well.  Can’t wait!

4. Max Pemberton July 28, 2011 at 1:03 am #

Currently I have the following Electronic cutters. Bosskut Gazelle. Sizzix Eclips, Cricut imagine, and a Craft Robo so how can I get SCAL to increase the utilisation of my equipment as well as bring some designs being fit for all of my machines

5. Karen Page July 28, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

I just found it for $229.99 at OhMyCrafts.com.  I have ordered Cricut Carts from them in the past and they are reputable.  Shipping times are average.  That’s a good deal.  Haven’t decided yet what machine I want to get to replace my Cricut.  I like the Print and Cut feature on some of the other machines!  Some of the other cutters will do rhinestone templates too.  Not sure I want to go from one cartridge based machine to another, even if they are compatible with SCAL.

6. ms misty December 11, 2011 at 6:46 am #

I currently have 2 cricuts and scal that I bought years ago, along with too many cartridges. I’ve always had trouble with lots of torn paper and messed up cuts with the cricuts and avoided many beautiful delicate cuts. After the big lawsuit with scal and others, that was the turning point for me. I was looking at the Black Cat, but that was too expensive and looked like it was complicated to use, although they said it cut like “butter”. I search all the digital cutting machine available and feel that the BEST machine was the Sizzix Eclips + Ecal (Surecutsalot). My new machine arrived just a few days ago and I can’t begin to tell you how I LOVE my Eclips. Now I can say my machine cuts like BUTTER!! You have the best of both worlds and can use the cartridges with the controller….kinda cute and less expensive than the C. And…..use the Ecal to cut whatever design you like. Now, isn’t that the cats meow? Wait, they have added more features, like print n cut, embossing and you can use ANY Copic pen in this machine. I LOVE Sizzix Eclips!!!

7. Megan November 30, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

I hat a Cricut Expression for a month. Sold it on Craigslist and bought a Cameo. Sooooo much happier with the Cameo. Being able to use any SVG file I want is awesome. I swore I’d never but another Provocraft product after learning of their heavy-handed tactics with third-party companies.