Christmas Lantern Street Lamp by Thienly Azim

I’m sure that almost all of you have read the book or seen the film, "A Christmas Carol". It has become such a successful Christmas classic and has become a part of us and the holiday season. This project was inspired by the Charles Dickens classic. Don't you just love the spin I put on the ever popular lantern file by making it a lamp post!?

SVG Collections Used

Caramel Apple Pie SVG Kit
Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree SVG Collection
Santa’s North Pole Workshop

Supplies Used

• AC Cardstock
  • Vellum
  • 3” Twig wreath (from Michaels)
  • Snow glitter
  • Pearls (for inside poinsettia)
  • 6” Wooden dowel
  • Ribbon trims
  • Linen cord (used for leash)
  • Raffia twine
  • Empty roll (mine was from Parchment Paper)
  • Punkin’ Patch Stamps – Gingerbread Kisses
  • Foam tape (used to adhere the mail/parcels together while creating dimension)
  • Double sided tacky tape
  • Heat glue gun

Dimensions

3D Wintergreens SVG Kit (Poinsettia)
petals1.svg 3.25" wide deep red
petals2.svg 3.25" wide deep red
leaves.svg 3.25" wide moss green
Spirits from Christmas Past SVG Kit (Storefront Card)
cedar_foliage.svg 3.0" and 3.5" wide moss green, sage green
green.svg 7.0" wide (delete foliage) light brown
bicycle_top.svg 7.0" wide dark brown
French Ironwork Flourishes SVG Collection
sign.svg 3.57" wide (cut 2 and glue together for reinforcement, I cut the "corner element" portions out) black
Shaped Christmas Cards SVG Kit (Holly)
green_leaf.svg 1.7" and 1.9" wide (both blackout) cut 7 each in both sizes using 3 different greens
Christmas Gift Bags SVG Kit (Cardinal Hideaway)
bird.svg 5.47" wide deep red
blacks.svg 5.47" wide (delete 3 circles) black
Christmas Gift Bags SVG Kit (Scottie Dog)
bow.svg 9.82" wide red
sweater.svg 9.75" wide moss green
dog.svg 9.61" wide black
Christmas in the Village SVG Collection
flake1.svg 1.17" wide white
flake2.svg 1.26" wide white
Caramel Apple Pie SVG Kit (Crate )
crate_board.svg (1-4) 3.04" wide light brown
crate_bottom.svg (1 & 2) 3.04" wide light brown
crate_face.svg (1 & 2) 3.04" wide light brown
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree SVG Collection
snowflake.svg 1.25" wide white
airmail_white.svg 1.75" wide white
airmail_red.svg 1.75" wide deep red
airmail_green.svg 1.75" wide moss green
box_brown.svg 1.25" wide, 1.8" wide by 1.25" high, 1.1" wide by 0.85" high kraft paper
Santa's North Pole Workshop
snowflake3.svg 1.50" wide white

Lamp

Crisp Days of Fall SVG Kit
lantern1.svg 9.44" wide (break apart, delete the flourish window and replace with frameless window.svg) black
lantern2.svg 9.50" wide black
Spirits from Christmas Past SVG Kit (Storefront Card)
window.svg 2.20" wide (break apart, delete the frame and regroup) (bring this over to the lantern1.svg and lantern2.svg files - see diagram)
window.svg 2.20" wide dark grey
snow.svg 2.20" wide white

Lamp Post Base

Santa's Visit SVG Kit (Quick Box)
box.svg 11.50" wide black
SCAL Shapes Library - circle
circle 1.30" wide (bring this over to the box.svg - see diagram)

Instructions

1. In the lantern1.svg and lantern2.svg files, break apart and delete the flourish window. Open up window.svg file, break apart, delete the frame, regroup, and bring that over to one of the lantern sides. Copy and do that to 3 sides.
  2. Take the empty roll and wrap black cardstock around it using double sided tacky tape. This will become the post. Measure the diameter of your empty roll. Take the circle.svg from the Shapes Library and adjust it to your diameter. Place that circle in the center of the lantern base (see diagram). Cut.
  3. Print vellum yellow using your printer. Then cut the vellum to approx 2” x 3” rectangle – adhere to the back of the lantern. Assemble.
  4. Take the post and drill/make a hole about 3 inches below from the top, going through both sides. Cover the wooden dowel with black cardstock, like the post. Insert the dowel through the hole. I used permanent black pen to color the rod ends.
  5. Insert the post into the bottom of the lantern. Using glue gun, secure it to the bottom.
  6. On the box.svg file, take that same circle.svg (same diameter) and place it in the middle of the square, as per diagram. Cut.
  7. Assemble the box and insert the post in the circle opening, and secure it from underneath using glue gun. Adhere the ribbon around the post using double sided tacky tape.
  8. Cut the sign.svg, embellish as needed, and adhere to the dowel.
  9. Cut green_leaf.svg from the Holly set and adhere them to the twig wreath using hot glue gun. Add ribbon to the bottom of the wreath.
  10. Make the crate, cut snowflakes (glue on snow glitter onto them), cut the rest of the embellishments and adhere them onto the lamp post. (For the ‘Christmas Blessings’ stamp, I just stamped, colored and cut it out to fit the sign.svg).
  11. Insert a battery-operated tea-light inside, and you’re done!

Design Tips

Thienly - SVGCuts Design Team Artist

• You don’t want to take the beauty away from the lamp post itself, so keep your additions to a minimum and stick to a few color combination (mine was white, cream, deep red, greens)
  • By printing on a vellum, you can create any colored light, or even print a pattern on it.
  • It’s a good idea if you are adding on new embellishments that you cut/assemble all that you’re going to add, and then think about the balance of the project before adhering them all to the project.
  • Instead of cutting some element as SVGs, replacing it with twine/pearls can add dimension to your project. (used pearls in the center of the poinsettia, and twine on the kraft packages)

Wouldn’t this make a beautiful table decoration for your next party? Add your tea light, and instantaneously, a beautiful and magical scene is created right at your table.

~ Thienly

28 Responses to “Christmas Lantern Street Lamp by Thienly Azim”

1. Atlantis4569 December 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Speechless  =O !!!!!

• Daniellekellogg December 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

This is the coolest project I have seen. I have made all my scuts and am in the process of cutting it right now. But I have a question, How long is the tube that runs from the bottom of the lantern to base? And did you put the tube to the bottom of the base? To help keep it stable>
      Thanks,
      Danielle
      P.S. you really make some cool stuff, I wish I could think up this sutff. Thanks for sharing your talent.

• Thienly December 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Hey Danielle!  That is so cool that you’re making my project! As for the tube – mine was 14″ – it’s from the wider parchment paper roll… I know that there’s wider alumininum roll ones out there, too.  and yes, I did put the tube to the bottom of the base, and another good tip, which I forgot to mention is that you can put a weight inside the box at the bottom to keep it stable (I didn’t put any, but it probably will make it sturdier!) Anyway, thanks for your comment and I hope to see it when it’s done! Post it on the SVG Cuts wall and my Mod Paperie page wall!

• Daniellekellogg December 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

I hope it looks good enough to post, well see how it turns out. Thanks for you help, I have it all cut and will work on putting it together this week. I am really excited to see how it turns out. Next I want to tackle your Autumn wreath, maybe I should try a winter one, getting a little late for Autumn.

• Thienly December 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

I’m sure that it will be! Let me know if you had any problems or if all the measurements worked out okay!  I am excited too, to see it! Yes, that autumn wreath was a fun one to make – actually because there it was just cutting all the elements and adhering them onto the wreath base, it didn’t take as long as my other projects :)  But yes, I would love to see your winter version, too! Maybe with some holly, poinsettia and some pinecones would be really pretty! (and other elements from the 3D Wintergreens collection!)

• Daniellekellogg December 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

OMG! I have just the lamp post itself put together, no pretties yet, and it is so awesome. So now I need to decorate it. This is really a cool idea. Thanks so much for coming up with this idea. When I show my Grandma, she’ll have to have one too.

• Thienly December 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

Glad everything is working out so far! Have fun decorating! Can’t wait to see!

2. Barb December 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

You have an amazing talent! This is so pretty!

3. JennLorist December 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

WOW!!!! I love it!! Wish I had your talent :)) hugs

4. Amy (Aimitup) December 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

Thanks for sharing your creativity with us! Love this project.

5. Terri Deavers December 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

As I told you on your blog…STUNNING!  :)  Hugs!

6. Lenae December 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

WOW Thienly does it again! You are AMAZING! Love it!!! Lenae

7. Kim G. December 3, 2011 at 5:52 am #

This is beautiful! I love how you used the snowflakes, great touch!

8. Brigit Mann December 3, 2011 at 5:52 am #

I don’t know Thienly I think this may be my favorite project of yours now, it’s unbelievable!!  The detail you put in is amazing, you always do, I totally love it.  SVG Cuts has the most talented design team and I love to see how you all use Mary’s wonderful svgs, very inspiring!!

• Thienly December 4, 2011 at 12:16 am #

Thanks so much Brigit! Yeah, it’s my mom’s fave of mine so far! Thanks for your comments and yeah, this DT is pretty awesome – we all get along so well, too!

9. KimberlyRae December 3, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

I think you want Mary to create a illuminating Fireplace! :)

• Thienly December 4, 2011 at 12:14 am #

OMGosh! That would be way too cool – I’ll pass this idea onto Mary!

10. Debbie Barba December 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

YOU ARE AMAZING! So much creativity went into this….SO MUCH detail…..it’s just too pretty for words!  I love seeing what you do with all of the SVG files. You are so very talented. I LOVE THIS !! Thanks for all the effort you put into the instructions too! We are all so fortunate that you are part of the design team!  A fan forever….

• Thienly December 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Aww… thank you Debbie! It’s so great to know that my work is being appreciated and people are inspired by them!  Yeah, I love putting details into my projects – but sometimes it can get a little too busy, so I’ve gotta watch that! lol..  Anyway, your comments mean so much to me, and I am very fortunate to be a part of this wonderful team!

11. Alison December 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

this is amazing.. I would love to see this in a kit sometime.. :) hugs

12. Meylaguapa December 8, 2011 at 10:04 am #

This is amazing! I’d love to have a video tutorial for this protect since i’m still learning my English and is still hard to understand written instructions… :( but you are so talented!

P.d. I wrote this with some help! LOL!

• Thienly December 9, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

Thanks so much! I think that you did awesome writing your comment – it’s perfect!  Yes, we were thinking of doing videos, but just couldn’t get it done on time…  I’ve actually never have done a video, but would you like maybe a little tutorial post on my blog with step by step pics?

• Meylaguapa April 6, 2012 at 2:34 am #

I love that idea!

13. Loriell December 9, 2011 at 7:37 am #

That is just sooo adorable.  I have to make one. LOVE IT.  Thank you so much for sharing.

• Thienly December 9, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

Love to see your version if you ever make one – make sure to post it onto SVG Cuts FB wall, or my Mod Paperie page FB wall!

14. Crazystamper December 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

This is so wonderful!  I have looked at it four times to pick-up on all the details.  I was relieved when I looked at the dimensions, I thought it was tiny, which would have simply added to the incredible nature of the piece–smile.  I would like to know what cutting system you use considering how clean the cuts are?  I know that SVGCuts works hard to make perfect files which helps, but…

Kerry

• Thienly December 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Thank you so much, Kerry! :)  As for the cuts – I cut this on the Cricut Expression using AC Cardstock.  I find that the cardstock makes a huge difference in how clean it cuts, and I recommend this brand for all solid cardstock. It has a colored core, so no white showing through – like many other brands. It has a nice weight to it, too!  I recently was given a Sizzix Eclips cutter as a Christmas bonus from SVG Cuts (and it’s supposed to cut amazing!) – so I’m sure I’ll be using that from now on!

15. Sonia Tolson May 10, 2013 at 9:39 am #

My crafting goal this year is to make a complete Santa’s Winter Village out of SVGcuts designs for the kids to enjoy and this will definately be a part of it!! Thank you!!