I’m sure that almost all of you have read the book or seen the film, "A Christmas Carol". It has become such a successful Christmas classic and has become a part of us and the holiday season. This project was inspired by the Charles Dickens classic. Don't you just love the spin I put on the ever popular lantern file by making it a lamp post!?
SVG Collections Used
Crisp Days of Fall SVG Kit
Spirits from Christmas Past SVG Kit
French Ironwork Flourishes SVG Collection
Santa’s Visit SVG Kit
3D Wintergreens SVG Kit
Shaped Christmas Cards SVG Kit
Christmas Gift Bags SVG Kit
Christmas in the Village SVG Collection
Caramel Apple Pie SVG Kit
Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree SVG Collection
Santa’s North Pole Workshop
- AC Cardstock
- 3” Twig wreath (from Michaels)
- Snow glitter
- Pearls (for inside poinsettia)
- 6” Wooden dowel
- Ribbon trims
- Linen cord (used for leash)
- Raffia twine
- Empty roll (mine was from Parchment Paper)
- Punkin’ Patch Stamps – Gingerbread Kisses
- Foam tape (used to adhere the mail/parcels together while creating dimension)
- Double sided tacky tape
- Heat glue gun
|3D Wintergreens SVG Kit (Poinsettia)|
|petals1.svg||3.25" wide||deep red|
|petals2.svg||3.25" wide||deep red|
|leaves.svg||3.25" wide||moss green|
|Spirits from Christmas Past SVG Kit (Storefront Card)|
|cedar_foliage.svg||3.0" and 3.5" wide||moss green, sage green|
|green.svg||7.0" wide (delete foliage)||light brown|
|bicycle_top.svg||7.0" wide||dark brown|
|French Ironwork Flourishes SVG Collection|
|sign.svg||3.57" wide (cut 2 and glue together for reinforcement, I cut the "corner element" portions out)||black|
|Shaped Christmas Cards SVG Kit (Holly)|
|green_leaf.svg||1.7" and 1.9" wide (both blackout)||cut 7 each in both sizes using 3 different greens|
|Christmas Gift Bags SVG Kit (Cardinal Hideaway)|
|bird.svg||5.47" wide||deep red|
|blacks.svg||5.47" wide (delete 3 circles)||black|
|Christmas Gift Bags SVG Kit (Scottie Dog)|
|sweater.svg||9.75" wide||moss green|
|Christmas in the Village SVG Collection|
|Caramel Apple Pie SVG Kit (Crate )|
|crate_board.svg (1-4)||3.04" wide||light brown|
|crate_bottom.svg (1 & 2)||3.04" wide||light brown|
|crate_face.svg (1 & 2)||3.04" wide||light brown|
|Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree SVG Collection|
|airmail_red.svg||1.75" wide||deep red|
|airmail_green.svg||1.75" wide||moss green|
|box_brown.svg||1.25" wide, 1.8" wide by 1.25" high, 1.1" wide by 0.85" high||kraft paper|
|Santa's North Pole Workshop|
|Crisp Days of Fall SVG Kit|
|lantern1.svg||9.44" wide (break apart, delete the flourish window and replace with frameless window.svg)||black|
|Spirits from Christmas Past SVG Kit (Storefront Card)|
|window.svg||2.20" wide (break apart, delete the frame and regroup)||(bring this over to the lantern1.svg and lantern2.svg files - see diagram)|
|window.svg||2.20" wide||dark grey|
Lamp Post Base
|Santa's Visit SVG Kit (Quick Box)|
|SCAL Shapes Library - circle|
|circle||1.30" wide||(bring this over to the box.svg - see diagram)|
- In the lantern1.svg and lantern2.svg files, break apart and delete the flourish window. Open up window.svg file, break apart, delete the frame, regroup, and bring that over to one of the lantern sides. Copy and do that to 3 sides.
- Take the empty roll and wrap black cardstock around it using double sided tacky tape. This will become the post. Measure the diameter of your empty roll. Take the circle.svg from the Shapes Library and adjust it to your diameter. Place that circle in the center of the lantern base (see diagram). Cut.
- Print vellum yellow using your printer. Then cut the vellum to approx 2” x 3” rectangle – adhere to the back of the lantern. Assemble.
- Take the post and drill/make a hole about 3 inches below from the top, going through both sides. Cover the wooden dowel with black cardstock, like the post. Insert the dowel through the hole. I used permanent black pen to color the rod ends.
- Insert the post into the bottom of the lantern. Using glue gun, secure it to the bottom.
- On the box.svg file, take that same circle.svg (same diameter) and place it in the middle of the square, as per diagram. Cut.
- Assemble the box and insert the post in the circle opening, and secure it from underneath using glue gun. Adhere the ribbon around the post using double sided tacky tape.
- Cut the sign.svg, embellish as needed, and adhere to the dowel.
- Cut green_leaf.svg from the Holly set and adhere them to the twig wreath using hot glue gun. Add ribbon to the bottom of the wreath.
- Make the crate, cut snowflakes (glue on snow glitter onto them), cut the rest of the embellishments and adhere them onto the lamp post. (For the ‘Christmas Blessings’ stamp, I just stamped, colored and cut it out to fit the sign.svg).
- Insert a battery-operated tea-light inside, and you’re done!
- You don’t want to take the beauty away from the lamp post itself, so keep your additions to a minimum and stick to a few color combination (mine was white, cream, deep red, greens)
- By printing on a vellum, you can create any colored light, or even print a pattern on it.
- It’s a good idea if you are adding on new embellishments that you cut/assemble all that you’re going to add, and then think about the balance of the project before adhering them all to the project.
- Instead of cutting some element as SVGs, replacing it with twine/pearls can add dimension to your project. (used pearls in the center of the poinsettia, and twine on the kraft packages)
Wouldn’t this make a beautiful table decoration for your next party? Add your tea light, and instantaneously, a beautiful and magical scene is created right at your table.