We’ve had a mild winter so far but I am sure Mother Nature will be paying a visit in January and February (unless of course you live in a tropical region). What better way to capture winter than by scrapping your sledding photos? I incorporated two fabulous Winter collections from SVGCuts into my layout and used the gorgeous Bo Bunny Snowfall papers. Scrapbooks Etc just released the top 2012 trends for scrapbooking on their FB page and I incorporated 3 techniques in the layout.
SVG Collections Used
|Gift Tags 12.17.11 (For Background Scallop Shapes)|
|tag2_bottom.svg - shadow 2.5 delete circle||10.497" w x 10.505" h||brown|
|tag2_bottom.svg - delete circle||10.241" w x 10.241" h||white|
|tag2_top.svg - delete circle||9.095" w x 9.095" h||patterned paper|
|Gift Tags 12.17.11 (For Journaling Tag)|
|tag1_top.svg||2.500" w x 3.178" h||light blue|
|tag1_bottom.svg||2.500" w x 3.564" h||patterned paper|
|Winter's Chill SVG Kit (6x8x2 Box)|
|side_strips_bottom.svg||6.100" w x 3.723" h||Cut 2 in blue glitter paper & 2 in patterned paper|
|Winter's Chill SVG Kit (Snowflake Lever Card)|
|flake_top.svg||2.378" w x 2.193" h||white|
|flake_mid1.svg||2.378" w x 2.241" h||blue glitter paper|
|flake_mid2.svg||2.378" w x 2.338" h||light blue|
|flake_bottom.svg||2.383" w x 2.018" h||dark brown patterned paper|
|Winter's Chill SVG Kit (Snow Card)|
|n_mitten.svg||5.882" w x 1.910" h||blue glitter paper|
|o.svg||5.880" w x 1.215" h||white|
|s_detail.svg||5.881" w x 1.239" h||brown patterned paper|
|sw.svg||5.881" w x 1.484" h||dark brown patterned paper|
|background1.svg||5.883" w x 1.548" h||brown patterned paper|
|background2.svg||5.894" w x 2.079" h||light blue|
|Winter Bliss SVG Collection (Frames)|
|stitched_double_top.svg||5.380" w x 6.885" h||brown patterned paper|
|stitched_double_bottom.svg||5.380" w x 6.998" h||light blue|
|kids.svg||3.010" w x 1.742" h||light blue|
|Rectangle||12" w x 1.5" h||brown patterned paper|
- Start with a 12”x12” patterned paper. I used one that features some glitter. I used Bo Bunny Snowfall Collection.
- Cut the scallop shapes. After placing into your program select Break Apart and delete the hole from the tag. Adhere the brown scallop. For the middle scallop I applied glimmer mist. This is one of the top trends of 2012 – Use inks, mists and sprays to get “artsy”. Adhere the middle and top scallop shapes.
- Add the horizontal strip. It helps to anchor the page. I cut mine using a manual trimmer. Cut and add the scallop shapes.
- Cut the frames for the photos. I threaded twine/hemp cord. This is also a 2012 scrapbook trend – Tie It Up by using twine on your layout. Adhere the frames to the layout. Add your photos.
- Cut and assemble the snowflake. Add foam tape to add dimension.
- Cut and assemble the SNOW title. Add a bit of twine to accent. Once again add foam tape to make it pop.
- Cut the tag. I added a twine bow. The third trend I used was Make a List. I used some sticker numbers and hand wrote the tag. You could also print out the wording and apply to the tag. Adhere tag to the layout.
- Cut and adhere the little boys sledding to the top right of the layout.
- When selecting papers stick to one line, all the coordinating is done for you. Make sure you pick up some solids to match the line. In this case I used AC Cardstock and Glitter Paper from Best Creation. Patterns against patterns may get too busy so use solids to break it up a bit.
- If you are using a two sided paper don’t forget to flip it over, even after you cut it, to see if you the opposite side works better with your layout. I did this on my small scallop.
- Don’t forget just because you may have the free tag SVG doesn’t mean you can’t enlarge it to fill your page and use as the scallop background. Remember to use the shadow feature within the program. More layers of paper add interest to the layout.
- When you get a new Kit or Collection check out all elements. For example I used the scallop strips from the 6x8x2 Box for this layout. Just because it is an element from a 3D item does not mean you can’t use it on a 2D layout.
- Inking the elements will add interest and texture.
- Don’t forget to add some embellishments.
Hope you like my SNOW layout. Keep in mind if you don’t have snow where you live just swap out the winter elements and paper to match the theme of your photos. You could still keep the general layout with scallops, frame and tag.