Baby Memoir Keepsake Stand by Thienly Azim

It is just amazing what you can do by altering SVG files. If you’re not comfortable with welding, breaking apart/deleting/grouping or placing another file within your file, it's okay. For this project, I transformed a "crate" file from Caramel Apple Pie SVG kit into a bookcase stand, only by changing the width and height of the SVGs. I embellished it with baby items and added storage boxes at the bottom to create a little keepsake stand.

SVG Collections Used

Caramel Apple Pie SVG Kit
Crush on You Boxes SVG Kit
Bundle of Joy SVG Kit
Little Sweet Peas SVG Collection

Supplies Used

AC Cardstock
Patterned paper (I used the Girl’s Paperie Vintage Whimsy collection)
Scotch Quick Dry Glue
Heat Glue Gun
Linen cord
Crinkled ribbon
Cotton lace
Buttons
Pearl stickers (for shoes)
Eyelets
Clothespin
Wire hanger (or you can make one)
Ink for distressing

Dimensions

Here are the exact shapes, sizes and colors I used. Size to the dimensions shown below. If chart only indicated width OR height, Use "Keep Properties" or "Aspect Lock" to size files.

Caramel Apple Pie SVG Kit (Crate)
crate_board.svg 10.80 " wide by 1.35" high (cut 2) greyish beige
10.50" wide by 1.35" high (cut 2) greyish beige
crate_bottom1.svg A) 4.18" wide by 1.60" high greyish beige
B) 4.18" wide by 2.30" high greyish beige
C) 4.18" wide by 3.00" high greyish beige
D) 4.18" wide by 3.70" high greyish beige
crate_bottom2.svg A) 4.18" wide by 2.18" high greyish beige
B) 4.18" wide by 3.10" high greyish beige
C) 4.18" wide by 4.04" high greyish beige
D) 4.18" wide by 4.97" high greyish beige
Crush on You Boxes SVG Kit (Hot Air Balloon Doorhanger)
box.svg 9.75" wide by 2.86" high patterned paper
Bundle of Joy SVG Kit (Baby Block Box)
letters_top.svg 2.40" wide patterned paper
box_top.svg 3.00" wide (cut 4) patterned paper
box_bottom.svg 3.00" wide (cut 4)
Bundle of Joy SVG Kit (Baby Shoe)
shoe.svg 3.00" wide (omit strap, cut 2) patterned paper
liner.svg 3.00" wide (cut 2) patterned paper
Little Sweet Peas SVG Collection
rattle_bottom.svg 0.75" wide patterned paper
Little Sweet Peas SVG Collection (Backgrounds)
background_hearts.svg 2.50" wide cream
Nora's Frame (Free SVG - Click Here)
noras_frame_bottom.svg 1.50" wide baby pink
noras_frame_top.svg 1.50" wide patterned paper
Nora's Romper (Free SVG - Click Here)
noras_romper_a.svg 1.76" wide patterned paper
noras_romper_b.svg 1.76" wide patterned paper

Instructions

1. Cut all the crate_board.svg pieces and assemble. The longer one is the diagonal board.
  2. Cut all the crate_bottom1.svg and crate_bottom2.svg pieces and assemble. The letters indicate which pieces should be glued together (same letters assemble together). It should form 4 shelves, all having the same width, but gets longer as it becomes bigger.
  3. Ink as necessary.
  4. Place the two boards (long and short) on the table as shown in the diagram. Important: Make sure that the bottom of the two boards line up – this is crucial in making sure it stands properly. Place the top shelf (smallest crate_bottom.svg) and make a faint pencil line on the crate_board.svg where it should be glued.
  5. Take a ruler and mark another line through the two crate_board.svg 1 7/8” down from the first line. Repeat again for another shelf 1 7/8” down, and another 1 7/8” down. There should be 4 lines marking where all the shelved should be placed. Refer to the diagram.
  6. Glue each of the crate_bottom.svg onto the crate_board.svg starting from the top.
  7. Adhere the last two crate_board.svg on the top to complete the stand.
  8. Cut all embellishments and glue them into place, except for the boxes. (The boxes at the bottom, when assembled will not glue perfectly (and this is because of the altered size) but will the bottom will be still closed. If this bothers you, you can cut another rectangle to cover the bottom.)

Design Tips

Thienly - SVGCuts Design Team Artist

• Decide upon what theme the project is going to be. Is this going to be modern? Vintage? Retro? Pick papers that would suit your needs. Go through your crafty stash and pick out any embellishments that may fit your project. (You don’t need to use them all, but helps you focus on a style)
  • If you’re doing something different from my project – make a list of everything that you would want to incorporate into your project. It’s a good idea to keep each shelf to one or two items, you don’t want to clutter the look.
  • By inking the boards and the bottoms (shelves) it creates a distressed furniture look. If you use glossy or plain colored paper without inking, it will make it look more modern. I inked all the embellishment cuts as well. You can even emboss the boards which will give it a country style. I also inked the clothespin, too!
  • For attaching the cord onto the box, I reinforced the hole with an eyelet.

There’s so much you can do with this stand! It's totally customizable for any theme and occasion! You can even personalize the baby blocks to spell out a name. It would be so cute to hang up pennants and make it into a birthday stand up card. This is a really simple project to make and hope that I’ve got you thinking about "thinking outside the box" to create something totally different!

13 Responses to “Baby Memoir Keepsake Stand by Thienly Azim”

1. Goodbead40 March 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

LOVE IT!!!! Great job on figuring this one out lol

2. Lisa Justice March 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

Totally blown away….AGAIN! Thienly you always amaze me with your projects! Great job! Now excuse me while I go make my SVG Cuts shopping list! :) I have a friend expecting and this would be a great gift! I’ll put the sonogram picture in the little frame!!!

• Thienly Azim March 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Thanks so much! Putting a sonogram in there would be sooo cute! If you make one, I would love to see!

3. Danielle March 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Thienly, I have cut all the pieces and started to put it together, But my crate bottom’s are not coming together right. The piece that is supposed to be glued to the folded parts are too short on ones side and too long on the other I have checked the several times to make sure that I have them in right. Any suggestions?

• Thienly Azim March 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

I had the same question earlier today and the dimensions were corrected above today. It’s all the crate_bottom1.svg pieces – the width has been corrected to 4.18″ wide.  I am sorry about the confusion.  This should solve all the problems that you may be having.

Please do share when you’ve finished it – I would love to see! and thanks for being inspired by my project! It means a lot to me :)

4. Laura L March 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

I just love it Thienly! You did a fabulous job! Thanks for sharing!!

5. Danielle March 25, 2012 at 5:47 am #

Ok, So maybe I’m stupid… but I can not find ‘keep properties’ or ‘Aspect Lock’ I can easliy find ‘keep proportions’ but not the other 2. Does anyone know where I can find them, I did an online search and still could not find out where they are on SCAL.

• Thienly Azim March 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Danielle – you`re not stupid! They are all the same thing! :) Make sure that is checked off, and then whatever you size them to be – the proportions will be the same :)

6. Meylaguapa March 27, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

hi i just have a question about the block boxes and the below files… i don’t see the high of those can you give me an idea since i  don’t use SCUT cause i have a different program?!

• Thienly Azim March 31, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Hello!
      If the measurements for how high is not stated, it usually means that it’s proportionally sized down.  All you need to do is to ‘check off’ the ‘keep proportions’ on the right hand side under the ‘width’.  Anyway, just to make it easier for you, the height should be 1.386″. Thanks – and looking forward to seeing your stand! Hope that you share!

7. Linda March 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Thienly, in trying to put together your memoir stand…on the crate_board pieces there are straight tabs on each end..is one tab folded in and the other folded on top to the outside?  Also can you give the a ball park overall size of the stand when it’s finished?

• Thienly Azim March 31, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Hello Linda! I’m not exactly too sure of your question, but if I’m understanding correctly – yes, the tabs should both fold in, with one on top of each other. As for the size, it’s roughly 8.5″ high, and 4″ x 4″ at the base.  Please feel free to ask more questions if I didn’t answer them properly! :)  and hope that you share your creations with us! Thanks!

8. Pamela Soucy-Chartrand August 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

Thienly, I have a question, I did not find a measurment for were you start marking your lines. On your diagram the distance between shelves I see ,but it doesn’t show how far from the top or bottom you begin. If you would provide me with the measurment that would be great. I love all your designs. I am buying as many kits as I can afford each week and this is a project I would love to make. Thank you for all your ideas.