Using SVG Files with Silhouette Studio Designer Edition

If you have a Silhouette Cameo and/or Silhouette SD, you can now cut our amazing library of SVG files using the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition software! The "Designer Edition" is a special upgraded version of the Silhouette Studio software. Designer Edition does NOT come bundled with your Cameo or SD, but upgrading is simple and will cost you around $50. You can purchase the upgrade directly from Silhouette America.

Not only will you have access to almost 300 of our SVG kits and collections, but you'll be able to download over 200 FREE SVG files from our blog!

Buy It Now

Upgrade Instructions

1. Be sure you have Silhouette Studio® v1.9.0 or higher installed on your computer (Download the latest software here)
  2. Purchase an electronic upgrade code or upgrade card (Purchase the code or card here)
  3. Under the Help menu in Silhouette Studio® choose "Upgrade to Designer Edition"
  4. Type the unique 16-digit upgrade code you purchased along with your email address and password to complete the upgrade process
  5. That's it! You are now ready to cut SVG files!

Now that you have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition, opening SVG files is easier than ever!  You can find the freebies under our Free Designs section and you can shop our amazing kits and collections by visiting SVGCuts.com

Shop Our Store Download Free SVGs

How To Open SVG Files

Make sure that you have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition running and follow these simple steps to get started!

1. Select File from the main toolbar and click Open...

2. Click on the Files of type drop-down list and select SVG (*.svg).

3. Browse to the folder that contains the SVG files you wish to cut. Select the SVG file and click OK. The selected SVG file should now appear in your cutting area.

Now that the SVG file has been imported (opened), we'll need to tell the Silhouette software that we want to cut it!

4. From the Silhouette Studio tool bar (on the right-hand side), click the Cut Style Window icon.

5. Click the shape you wish to cut in order to highlight it. Note: You'll know that you've successfully highlighted the shape when you see the bounding box indicating the shape's dimensions.

6. Select Cut from the Cut Style options. This will ensure a proper cut!

7. Click Send to Silhouette. Congratulations! You've successfully opened an SVG file and prepared it for cutting! Now simply load your mat and follow the on-screen instructions to complete your cut!

Centering SVG Files

Because SVG files contain coordinate information, some of our files may import OFF of the cutting area. We've got a quick fix for that!

1. From the main toolbar, select File and click Preferences...
  2. From the list of preferences, click Import Options
  3. In the section labeled When Importing  SVG, click Centered
  4. Click OK.
  5. That's it! You've successfully configured your software to automatically center SVG files!

Note: If you don't have this option, you'll need to update your Silhouette Studio software by visiting Silhouette America's website.

43 Responses to “Using SVG Files with Silhouette Studio Designer Edition”

1. L.B. June 6, 2012 at 7:54 am #

Thank you for this tutorial..It is one of the easiest to follow that I found and I have this software and am loving using svgs to cut on my silhouette.  Your free files are wonderful and thank you for all of that.

2. Christine Williams August 5, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Thank you for free file and this info it will be a big help with my cardmaking.I have just found your website but will be using it again.Thank you for your help.

3. Maureen Hitchen September 15, 2012 at 8:38 am #

If I purchase the designer upgrade does anyone know if it then allows me to save any designs I create as a .svg file? I believe that Silhouette will not allow anyone to sell their own design if it is a .studio file. As I am not well up on other types of software such as illustrator, inkscape etc but am quite conversant with studio I am hoping the upgrade wlll allow saving as .svg. Can anyone answer that for me please

• SVGCuts September 17, 2012 at 10:36 am #

I don’t think you can save your files. You can only save in .silhouette format.

4. Roz Castelow October 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Can you dowwnload this software to a tablet with 32gb?

• SVGCuts October 26, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Not unless your tablet runs Windows 7 etc.

5. Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Thank you for your tutorial very helpful. One question I do have is how do I save the file in my library with my other designs? I press import to my library & it only lets me save as a file but it doesn’t appear with my downloads in my library.

Thanks,
    Jen

• SVGCuts November 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Hi Jennifer,

We don’t recommend adding to your library at this time. We’ve experienced some issues where SVG files in a library don’t work properly for some reason!

6. vanessa November 22, 2012 at 8:08 am #

how do you download on Apple computers

7. Deni November 26, 2012 at 6:49 am #

I use a Mac, and when I click to open a file, I do not get the SVG drop down menu. How do I import/open SVG in the Designer edition? when I currently open an SVG, it is not a cut file, and it wants me to trace. When I trace, it doesn’t do a good job. How can I open the SVG directly as a cut file without the drop-down menu?

Thanks

• SVGCuts December 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Hi Deni, if you don’t get SVG from the drop down then you might need to update your software. Make sure you have Designer Edition!

8. Denise December 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Hi, I have the same problem as Deni and I just purchased the Designer Edition. I can’t get it to open. Can you please help?

• SVGCuts December 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Please send us a note using the contact form on our blog!

9. diane December 28, 2012 at 11:12 am #

I bought the new smaller portrait and the designer addition. It would not let me import my own fill patterns. contacted Silohette, they had me downgrade to the SD version of the software, now print and cut doesnt work.

10. kathleen schriber January 19, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

so if it isn’t recommended saving to our library, then where would we save them? would i make a new folder and put all my files in there and leave on my desktop?

• SVGCuts January 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

Yes! We recommend creating a folder and calling it SVG Files!

11. Anthonia January 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Hi,

I just bought the silhouette designer edition some hours ago, was going carry out the instructions under ‘centering svg files’ above, but found no ‘import options’ under my preferences. I can see ‘when importing gsd and dxf’ under defaults, but no svg.

In fact, on comparing my preference page with yours, I saw that I also do not have ‘tool selection’.

Thanks.

• SVGCuts January 28, 2013 at 10:32 am #

You’ll need to update your software to the latest version. Visit silhouetteamerica.com to download it!

• Anthonia February 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

thank you, it’s sorted.

12. MaryLouH March 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

I’m getting ready to upgrade my Silhouette. Thanks for having the video and the print information. I know I’m going to need it when I first try to download/cut an SVG file.

13. Sandy Lewis March 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

I love cutting your files on my Cameo – they were made for each other! Every single one of your files I’ve tried cuts perfectly! Thank you.

14. Carline March 28, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Can I download the software on more than one computer? I have a MAC and a PC with the original Silhouette edition. Thank you.

• SVGCuts March 28, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

According to Silhouette, you can install it on up to 3 machines. Not sure if they can be different operating systems though.

15. Andrea April 3, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

Hi there,

Hoping someone has an easy solution to this annoying problem!

Parts of the paper seem to crunch up and not cut completely. It doesn’t matter if it’s a curve, a straight line, etc. It might only be an 1/8″ or so but it messes up the pattern, especially when it happens in quite a few places on a design.I’ve cleaned the blade and the mat, and I make sure the paper is nice and secure to the mat.

Any clues?

Andrea

16. Cheryl Hughey April 8, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

I just purchased a Cameo on line and am thinking I made an unwise choice in that my machine won’t be able to make scoring lines. I’ve heard that perforated lines are made for 3d items and that projects can look not-so good without a smooth fold line is this true? Should I reorder the eclipse instead? I’ve already purchased many files in advance and the studio design card, but am willing to resale it on ebay just to have a proper machine that will do what I want. Thanks for your consideration…cheryl

• SVGCuts April 10, 2013 at 8:08 am #

Cheryl, the CAMEO will cut the perforations. The eclips can “score” instead of cut, but both work with our files and will give you a good looking end result.

17. Patricia April 13, 2013 at 5:54 am #

Thank you so much for reply so quick.
    Now my files cut!
    :-)

18. Justin June 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Hi
    Ive never had this problem before. When i inport, no matter the file type i choose it seems to be corrupted. Ive even started over and its still happening. Please help. Everything is up to date. Ive also done shut downs.
    J

• SVGCuts June 27, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Have you tried to re-install your software?

19. Erik July 25, 2013 at 11:33 am #

Hi,
    due to contradicting information on the web, or information about older versions (prior to 2.8.4), I’m still confused; can Silhouette Studio DE for MAC save as *.svg or not? If not, it doesn’t justify the 50$ price tag, especially since SVGs for import can be converterted to DXFs through Inkscape…
    Quick answers would be welcome, as I’m on the verge of buying the Silhouette Cameo
    Kind regards

• SVGCuts August 1, 2013 at 7:51 am #

Latest version of SSDE cannot save to SVG, but don’t be fooled. Converting SVG to DXF can alter the integrity of the file. We do not support our files in DXF format.

20. kim August 2, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I have been trying to cut out Maple.Manor and some of the svg file will not come up on my silhouette cameo. What am I doing wrong? Please help thank you so much. Kim

21. Paola August 6, 2013 at 7:44 am #

How do I get my Cameo to recognize the perforated marks on the cuts? I adjust to show cut lines but the machine will not do the perforated marks?

• SVGCuts August 21, 2013 at 7:08 am #

When setting the cut style, you need to select “Cut” and not the “Cut Outside” option.

22. Tina December 15, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Thanks for the email reply. What great instructions. I use a Mac so was able to skip step 2 as that option not there. So, very easy and was pleased to get the Santa Pants project cut out this evening. Thank you again so much.

23. Sherrie Willden January 5, 2014 at 10:39 pm #

I just purchased a Silhouette along with the Studio Designer Edition. It is the most current edition that they have. I too have a Mac, and when I click to open a file, I do not get the SVG drop down menu. How do I import/open SVG in the Designer edition? When I drag a file or import it, I get a pop up that says “The page contains no cut lines. You can define cut line in the Cut Line Settings window. I’ve tried that as well and still get the same message. The only way I can get it to cut is to offset the file. Please help…. I would like to use the files I have purchased from SVG cuts without having any of these issues.

• SVGCuts January 9, 2014 at 7:34 am #

On Mac, there is no drop down for SVG, you don’t have to specify SVG, just browse to the folder that contains the files you wish to open.

• SVGCuts January 9, 2014 at 7:35 am #

Please use the contact form if you still need help with your issue! We’ll get it to work for you. I promise!

24. Troy Cheney February 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

I just purchased some of your svg files as I have just upgraded to Designer Edition for my Cameo. When I open the file there is nothing there. Yes, I changed the dropdown box to svg.
    It has a tab with the name of the file, but the mat is blank. I click on it and there is nothing there.

25. rita rooney August 15, 2014 at 11:42 pm #

Thank you for the video showing how to open svg cuts ,i managed to do it after altering the settings as shown.

26. Ethel September 22, 2014 at 8:39 am #

Hi. I have purchased the silhouette studio , got it installed.. down loaded the svgcuts.com cuts.. I can download them to my mat with in the cameo,, when I hit cut it will not cut.. I can anything with the cameo.. just not the svg files.. Please help with what step Im missing,, Thank you