If you have a Silhouette Cameo and/or Silhouette SD, you can now cut our amazing library of SVG files using the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition software! The "Designer Edition" is a special upgraded version of the Silhouette Studio software. Designer Edition does NOT come bundled with your Cameo or SD, but upgrading is simple and will cost you around $50. You can purchase the upgrade directly from Silhouette America.
Not only will you have access to almost 300 of our SVG kits and collections, but you'll be able to download over 200 FREE SVG files from our blog!Buy It Now
- Be sure you have Silhouette Studio® v1.9.0 or higher installed on your computer (Download the latest software here)
- Purchase an electronic upgrade code or upgrade card (Purchase the code or card here)
- Under the Help menu in Silhouette Studio® choose "Upgrade to Designer Edition"
- Type the unique 16-digit upgrade code you purchased along with your email address and password to complete the upgrade process
- That's it! You are now ready to cut SVG files!
Now that you have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition, opening SVG files is easier than ever! You can find the freebies under our Free Designs section and you can shop our amazing kits and collections by visiting SVGCuts.comShop Our Store Download Free SVGs
How To Open SVG Files
Make sure that you have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition running and follow these simple steps to get started!
1. Select File from the main toolbar and click Open...
2. Click on the Files of type drop-down list and select SVG (*.svg).
3. Browse to the folder that contains the SVG files you wish to cut. Select the SVG file and click OK. The selected SVG file should now appear in your cutting area.
Now that the SVG file has been imported (opened), we'll need to tell the Silhouette software that we want to cut it!
4. From the Silhouette Studio tool bar (on the right-hand side), click the Cut Style Window icon.
5. Click the shape you wish to cut in order to highlight it. Note: You'll know that you've successfully highlighted the shape when you see the bounding box indicating the shape's dimensions.
6. Select Cut from the Cut Style options. This will ensure a proper cut!
7. Click Send to Silhouette. Congratulations! You've successfully opened an SVG file and prepared it for cutting! Now simply load your mat and follow the on-screen instructions to complete your cut!
Centering SVG Files
Because SVG files contain coordinate information, some of our files may import OFF of the cutting area. We've got a quick fix for that!
- From the main toolbar, select File and click Preferences...
- From the list of preferences, click Import Options
- In the section labeled When Importing SVG, click Centered
- Click OK.
- That's it! You've successfully configured your software to automatically center SVG files!
Note: If you don't have this option, you'll need to update your Silhouette Studio software by visiting Silhouette America's website.