Hello there! Tamara here with a cute and simple summer project! This is a perfect, quick and easy way to surprise that special kiddo! Imagine if they came home from camp, a sleepover or just woke up one morning and found one of these on their door! Fill it with giftcards to an ice cream shop, theme park tickets, a yummy treat, or a little gift. So fun!
SVG Collections Used
- Summer Soul Fancy Pants Papers
- So Happy Together Echo Park Papers
- October Afternoon Buttons
- American Crafts Foam Alpha Stickers
- American Crafts Red Ribbon
- Canvas Corp Frayed Ribbon
- Epiphany Crafts Shape Tools – Round 14 and Round 25
- Thread and Sewing Machine
Here are the exact shapes, sizes and colors I used. Size to the dimensions shown below. If chart only indicated width OR height, Use “Keep Properties” or “Aspect Lock” to size files.
Whale Door Hanger
|December doorhangers SVG Kit (Snowman)|
|dark_red.svg||6.00w||light lime green|
|Wet N Wild SVG Kit (Extras)|
|waves.svg||9.00″w||light blue polka dot|
|waves.svg||11.00″w||light blue print|
|Free SVG 06.09.12|
Beach Scene Door Hanger
|December Doorhangers SVG Kit (Snowman)|
|dark_red.svg||6.00″w||blue wave print|
|Wet N Wild SVG Kit (Extras)|
|Beach Bum III SVG Collection|
|palm_top.svg||2.521″w||pale lime green|
|umb_top.svg||3.25″w||lime green polka dot|
|Basic Shape (rectangle)||5.392″w x 2.258″||cream|
|Basic Shape (rectangle)||5.392″w x 2.258″||dark pink|
- For each hanger, cut and assemble the doorhanger and box.
- Cut a rectangle in your SVG cutting software sized to 5.392”w x 2.258”h. One in cream and one in dark pink. Add some stitching if you’d like. These will be adhered to the front of the box. Use alpha stickers (or cut your own letters) to add a name or sentiment.
- The waves on both hangers are created just by ’hand folding’ the trims. This does not need to look perfect. I love doing this to add dimension. The whale box has two different sized strips layered. To adhere these it might be best to use hot glue as they tend to want to pop up.
- For the beach scene hanger, I used an Epiphany Crafts Shape Tool to create ’bubble’ I love they look it gives! Adhere in various areas. On the whale hanger, I used buttons as ’bubble’. So cute!
- Cut all your shapes and adhere on the hangers. Use some adhesive foam here and there for dimension.
- Finish embellishing with a bow and button on each.
- These doorhangers were originaly for Christmas/Winter. Of course you don’t have to do that! Use the hanger as a base for your design to fit the theme you want. Gotta love that about SVG Cuts! Just take what’s there and make it your own just by changing papers and some elements!
- For the seashells, before they dry (after adhering the two layers) bend it in a bit to give it a slight curve. This just adds some dimension to the overall project! These would be gorgeous in glitter paper, too!
- There are so many great summer themed SVG files, even FREE ones! You can easily make an entire set of these with different styles to them. Like my ’beach scene’ one. I chose cream and tan as the box color to look like the sandy shores of a beach. It looks like a little beach scene with the crab coming up to the shore. The whale one looks like the cute little whale is happily swimming along…. (or, maybe he wants to eat that crab? lol!).
I hope my fun little projects gets you in the mood and excited for summer crafts! I just love the warm bright colors it brings! Enjoy! And if you decide to make your own doorhangers, we’d love to see them on the SVG Cuts Facebook wall, stop by and share! Happy crafting, friends!