Free SVG Files for Silhouette Cameo and Silhouette Studio Designer Edition

What do I need to cut SVG files?

If you have a Silhouette Cameo, Portrait or the older Silhouette SD, you can cut our amazing library of SVG files using the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition software or Sure Cuts A Lot 3 software! Note: You don’t need both programs, just one or the other!

The “Designer Edition” is a special upgraded version of the Silhouette Studio software and does NOT come bundled with your Cameo, Portrait or SD, but upgrading is simple. You can purchase the upgrade from our sister site for $30 with a bonus $10 SVGCuts.com gift card.

Not only will you have access to almost 300 of our SVG kits and collections, but you’ll be able to download over 200 FREE SVG files from our blog!

Buy Designer Edition Now Buy Sure Cuts A Lot 3

I already have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition and/or Sure Cuts A Lot 3! How do I get started?

Now that you have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition, opening SVG files is easier than ever!  You can find the freebies under our Free Designs section and you can shop our amazing kits and collections by visiting SVGCuts.com

Shop Our Store Download Free SVGs

Before You Get Started

Update: If you are running Silhouette Studio Designer Edition V3 or later, Click Here. The information below is for Silhouette Studio Version 2.

Because SVG files contain coordinate information, some of our files may import OFF of the cutting area. We’ve got a quick fix for that! We highly recommend updating this setting before importing your first SVG file!

1. From the main toolbar, select File and click Preferences…
  2. From the list of preferences, click Import Options
  3. In the section labeled When Importing  SVG, click Centered
  4. Click OK.
  5. That’s it! You’ve successfully configured your software to automatically center SVG files!

How To Open SVG Files

Make sure that you have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition running and follow these simple steps to get started!

1. Select File from the main toolbar and click Open…

2. Click on the Files of type drop-down list and select SVG (*.svg).

3. Browse to the folder that contains the SVG files you wish to cut. Select the SVG file and click OK. The selected SVG file should now appear in your cutting area.

Now that the SVG file has been imported (opened), we’ll need to tell the Silhouette software that we want to cut it!

4. From the Silhouette Studio tool bar (on the right-hand side), click the Cut Style Window icon.

5. Click the shape you wish to cut in order to highlight it. Note: You’ll know that you’ve successfully highlighted the shape when you see the bounding box indicating the shape’s dimensions.

6. Select Cut from the Cut Style options. This will ensure a proper cut!

7. Click Send to Silhouette. Congratulations! You’ve successfully opened an SVG file and prepared it for cutting! Now simply load your mat and follow the on-screen instructions to complete your cut!

39 Responses to “Free SVG Files for Silhouette Cameo and Silhouette Studio Designer Edition”

1. Annabelle Mcguffey September 26, 2012 at 12:59 am #

Thanks for the instructions! I find it very useful. Now I know my way around Silhouette Studio Designer Edition software.

2. Rhonda Reynolds October 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

I followed your great instructions for using SVG files on my Cameo. Some will not transfer, especially all your files I have downloaded in the past. What should I do as I have hundreds of SVG files I would like to use, mainly yours. Don’t want to buy MTC or SCAL since I already paid for the Designer Edition. HELP!

• SVGCuts October 4, 2012 at 7:10 am #

Do you have Designer Edition? Are you running the latest version?

• Rhonda Reynolds October 4, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Yes, I did purchase the Designer Edition. When the mat comes up, it says “Designer Edition” at the top. It is the 2.0.0d version.You think it needs an upgrade?

• SVGCuts October 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Yes, there is a newer version!

3. Rhonda Reynolds October 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Hooray! This is the next day and SVG files are cutting. Thanks, Leo!!!

4. Stacey October 10, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Are the Sure-Cuts-A lot software and the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition pretty much the same, or would you recommend one over the other? Thanks.

• SVGCuts October 11, 2012 at 11:34 am #

They are quite different. I would download the trial version of Sure Cuts A Lot from CraftEdge.com and see what you think! Too many differences to mention!

5. Marion November 7, 2012 at 8:00 am #

I have followed these instructions, and still cannot get the outer edge to be traced, using the ‘trace’ feature (silhouette Designer Edition). I am trying to cut out the interior boxes for the advent calendar, and the perforations are getting highlighted. I am wondering if it is because I am using a Mac? I do not have the option to choose the file type, but have no problem importing the svg files into my silhouette program… help!
    Thanks

• SVGCuts November 7, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Hi Marion, you shouldn’t have to trace anything. Please make sure you are following the instructions as posted. You simply import the file, highlight it and change the cut style to cut.

• Ms Mary Kendrick November 7, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Hi Marion
        I am also trying to cut out the advent Calendar boxes is it the Calendar by Mary Rukas ?

I have had trouble also it won’t cut some of the lines out it forgets them!!
        It doesn’t seem to read them.

I do not ask it to trace!! There is no need to!
        Just highlight it the file that is! Then change the cutting style to cut .
        Because if try and cut it It wont It will ask you for the Cutting lines.
        Have just tried my 3rd piece of paper for the boxes.
        But do you know what!!
        It has actually cut them all out this time!! Hurrah!
        How frustrating is this. As it also wastes paper!
        I shall try and cut the rest of the pages as am cutting out two one each for my two grandsons.
        So hope it works.
        Good luck let me know how you are doing.
        I am only a beginner really ..so we can help each other.?
        Bye Mary

• SVGCuts December 1, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Which software are you using?

6. Cassandra Chen November 27, 2012 at 4:52 am #

Hey, I have recently bought the SVG kits online and I realised that when I downloaded it, none of them has a svg version at the back, hence I am unable to open it with my Cameo designer edition. What is the problem and what should I do? Thanks!

• SVGCuts December 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

Please contact us using the contact us link at the top of our blog. our SVG files are 100% compatible with Designer Edition!

7. Brenda December 6, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I am trying the SVG file import for the first time. I am lost as to the perforated lines….do I need to make those individually and chose the cut type?

• SVGCuts December 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Please send us a note using the contact form at the top of our page!

8. Sue Morris January 1, 2013 at 8:19 am #

Thank you for the clear and concise instructions. I was able to open the program and start using the SVG files with the Silhouette DE no problem! and I really LOVE the fact that the files are already pre-sized. What a help THAT is! God Bless you both and Happy New Years!

9. Linda January 28, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Thank you so much for the instructions I am able to cut all of the SVG files I have downloaded. I did have a problem with the roof of the Peony Cottage. Silhouette DE wouldn’t let me add the cut lines. I rotated the design by 90 degrees and was then able to get the cut lines. The cottage turned out very pretty! Thank you so much – I love this website!

10. Lavinia January 29, 2013 at 9:32 am #

Hi there, do I have to have a Designer Edition License? because is asking for it.

• SVGCuts January 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

We’re not sure, Lavinia! Do you?

11. Doreen Lamb February 6, 2013 at 9:18 am #

I have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition version 2.7.6d. I follow the directions above and when I click “cut” I get the following message: The page contains no cut lines.

Any ideas?

• SVGCuts February 6, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Please send a note to info [at] svgcut.com and we’ll be happy to help!

• Paula Menzies April 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

I get the same.
      What I do is select what I want to print and right click and select convert to path, then continue with your directions

12. Holly May 4, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

Paula, SVGs (all of them, not only svgcuts.com’s) have some idiosyncracies within Designer Edition,,,,and this is one of them.

if you get that message, try highlight everything on the mat and clicking on UNgroup. Sometimes you have to do that more than once, too.

If that doesn’t work, right click on the image and try clicking on “release compound path.”

Another idiosyncracy is that you often need to adjust the line width on the cut lines of svgs down to 0 (many of them are 1.0 or higher),,,,,,,it’s the button with little black and white lines next to the scissors at the top of your screen. If you don’t adjust that line width, you somtimes get a crummy cut,,,,,,,adjusting that line width to 0 improves it dramatically.

Those things should give you a nice cut :) Hope that helped!

13. rosa May 20, 2013 at 3:59 am #

hi i havent have the import options where i must change ‘centered’ i can send download images to my silhouette>i already inzipped it.please help me!

• SVGCuts May 29, 2013 at 7:45 am #

You need to update your software!

14. rosa May 20, 2013 at 11:09 am #

i cant send my pictures to the silhoutte!i download sure cut a lot 3! al the lines cut correctly from the hole desigh, but just before or after this complete, the machine cuts 2 lines straight through the picture!what do a wrong??

• SVGCuts May 29, 2013 at 7:45 am #

Make sure your software is registered!

15. Tina B. May 31, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Thanks so much for the instructions! Helped me set-up with Silhouette Cameo for your svg’s. Enjoy your designs and look frward to the weekly freebie! :-)

16. Sandy October 18, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I can not get it to find a SVG so I can open my file I bought what am I doing wrong

17. leonardo November 8, 2013 at 2:09 am #

Hi, I’ve just bought a Cameo.
    Can I ask you how the designer edition improve the software?
    Just about SVG files or something more?
    There is a trial version to download?
    THX!

18. Viv November 10, 2013 at 1:34 am #

I’d be lost without you! This was so easy! Thank you!

19. sue November 18, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Hi, I have the cameo and designer edition and am trying to cut the Mary Rudahas Advent calendar. I used the trace feature to make the boxes cut but they cut with a double line making them too small to catch the closures and the perforations cut as holes. I’m still new to using both, any help would be gratefully received. xsue

• SVGCuts November 18, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

Hi Sue, tracing the file will cause it to cut incorrectly. You should not be tracing the SVG files.

20. sue November 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

With regards to my comment above, I think I’ve worked it out myself, thanks xx

21. sue November 20, 2013 at 9:33 am #

Hi, thanks, have had success by releasing the compound path and then using the cut style icon on design studio. Thanks for taking time to reply. I’m loving the classic advent calendar kit. xx

22. Ann February 7, 2014 at 8:09 am #

I tried to go to the sister site to purchase the designer edition bundle set, but the site was invalid. Did they change the website address? I would love to purchase this wonderful deal.