Don't Buy Sure Cuts A Lot 2 on eBay or Etsy!

Ebay and Etsy are full of pirated versions of Sure Cuts A Lot 2. We highly advise AGAINST purchasing Sure Cuts A Lot 2 from either of these sources as they may present unwanted issues and result in financial loss. While it is possible that unopened and authentic versions exist, here is what to look for to ensure you don't buy pirated software. We're providing this information because we don't want to see you waste your hard earned money! You're better off taking the money and upgrading to a different machine. You can see our complete list of approved cutting machines by clicking here!

Red Flags To Avoid

• Sure Cuts A Lot 2 can only be activated on two machines. If a listing indicates more than 2 activations, it is a pirated version!
  • Watch out for listings that indicate there is a keycode generator. This is a red flag and indicates that the software has been compromised and is pirated!
  • Software burned on a generic CD. This is an indication of pirated software. Authentic software will contain original SCAL artwork on the cover of the CD and comes in a DVD case.
  • Copies that claim they come with cartridges. There is no such thing as a cartridge for Sure Cuts A Lot.

Why Should I Avoid Purchasing SCAL 2?

• The software has been off the market for over two years now. The likeliness of authentic copies being available is slim to none.
  • Pirated versions of the software are cracked in order to circumvent the activation process. This can potentially make the software unstable and unreliable.
  • Some pirated versions being sold are version 2.008. This version is old and buggy and because you don't get an authentic activation code, you can't update it to the latest stable version 2.044 which is required to cut many SVG files with open paths.
  • You would be taking money out of the pocket of the developer of Sure Cuts A Lot 2. He has a family too!
  • You would be supporting piracy! That's bad Karma! ;)

I'm an Authorized Craft Edge Reseller! You're making me look bad!

If you are an authorized Craft Edge reseller, you signed an agreement with Craft Edge stating that you would no longer sell Sure Cuts A Lot 2 after a certain date (Summer 2011). So technically you are breaching a contract. If you are not an authorized reseller you shouldn't be selling Sure Cuts A Lot anyway :)

If you're still selling Sure Cuts A Lot 2 and are not a fan of this post, feel free to call me. I don't appreciate my customers getting ripped off and I'd love to talk to you about it! (630) 387-1074

23 Responses to “Don't Buy Sure Cuts A Lot 2 on eBay or Etsy!”

1. Susan June 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Thanks for posting this. I wish I had known this before I bought a pirated copy many months ago and wasted $60. The seller was using a photo of the actual product, so I never knew it was pirated until I received the plain CD in an envelope and instructions on what to do to get the authorization code. I tried to get my money back to no avail and the seller wasn’t concerned at all when I said that I would report him. I’m a software developer. The LAST thing I would ever do is used pirated software! Luckily for me I already had a “real” copy of SCAL2 purchased long ago when I my Cricut Expression. I bought the second one as a backup because I’ve changed laptops several times without uninstalling SCAL2 and was concerned that the day might come when I couldn’t install it on some FUTURE computer that I might buy. These illegal sellers will continue to scam others as long as it is profitable for them. So it’s up to us to NOT buy it! Our craft world is small enough and vendors are going out of business all the time. Those who spend the big money to develop a product (and I know how expensive that development can be!) should be entitled to be paid for their effort without leaches stealing from them. We need to support our craft community. Thanks to your message, more people who are just coming into the Cricut world will be educated on the matter. Thanks, SVGCUTS.

• Elizabeth June 8, 2013 at 10:18 am #

Susan, in response to your concern of installing on another computer I just went through that exact dilemma! My husband just gave me his old desktop which is better than what mine was and since I had installed SCAL2 on 2 machines already I thought I was up a creek. I contacted Craft Edge, provided them the activation code that I had purchased and they helped me out with getting it on my new computer. It was much easier than I had expected working with Craft Edge. I would definitely support them in the future!

2. CC June 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

I wish this had been posted months ago. I purchased a version that ended up being download only. The people have been awesome when I had issues and such and fixed it, but now that I want to upgrade and the website is saying my serial number is invalid. :( Of course because I upgraded my machine since I was having issues with my Cricut. I hope people see this.

3. Jeanene June 2, 2013 at 4:52 am #

I got my version way back when it first came out. Sad that people with cricuts can’t get it now it is such a great program. I wish Cricut would get with the program. I still love my cricut just like to grab a cartridge sometimes for the ease of it but if I didn’t have this program I know I would be forceed to switch. Love Love Love my version of Sure cuts a lot. I feel bad people are stealing others money that really stinks.

4. MJ June 6, 2013 at 12:12 am #

Hi,

I recently inherited a Sure Cuts alot 2. From a family member who passed away. It doesn’t seem to ever have been used. Can I use it and can I upgrade it. I have the serial numbers. I would not want to discount anyone in any way. It did seem to install fine but I don’t know about registering it. Feed back would be appreciated.

• SVGCuts June 12, 2013 at 7:32 am #

If this is a legit copy, you’ll be able to register with no issues.

5. Soraya June 17, 2013 at 8:38 am #

Thank you for posting this info. Hope it helps many potential buyers out there.

6. Tami Howse June 20, 2013 at 6:58 am #

I SO agree with this. I was one of the fortunate “few” who bought SCAL2, installed, and used it before the big lawsuit debacle. I soon discovered the joy of designing and cutting my own files with my Cricut. I was so hooked that I later bought a Black Cat Cougar and started a business. I SO prefer SCAL over the cartridge based system.
    Shortly after I bought SCAL2, though, a friend with a Cricut asked me if she could download it on her computer and she would give me some money for it. I was shocked that she would even ask. I am VERY against pirating anything- videos, music, CDs, and I’ve been diligent to teach my girls accordingly (my one daughter ended up becoming a singer-songwriter and appreciates the time and effort that goes into creating her own stuff).
    So, when there was a recent post on the SCAL Facebook page offering a CD with “cartridges” and something else that looked fishy, It really pissed me off. I HAD to question if it was legal. I believe the post was removed. :)
    Fondly, Tami

7. Debbie M July 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

Thanks for the information. What I don’t understand is why Craft Edge does not demand ebay investigate and remove sellers (example: Thebestand*******) that are selling copies of scal 2 and even advertising that “this software came directly from Craft Edge” if this is not legit software or that breaks copyright rules. They have been selling it for months.

8. Teesa July 23, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks for the info. Some people will do anything to make money but if you don’t do it the right way they will pay for it one day.

9. Monica Kasandra July 27, 2013 at 3:04 am #

Oh, I bought Scal 2 some years ago. And I was very happy to using it with my cricut ekspression.

But I have bought ekspression 2, and now I cannot use my scal 2. SCAL cannot find my machine. and I sold the old machine.

Please, can someone help me?

• SVGCuts August 1, 2013 at 7:50 am #

Expression 2 does not work with SCAL.

• Joan October 23, 2013 at 6:51 am #

Monica do you still have your scal? Would you want to sell it I would be interested.

10. Ana August 30, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

I love SCAL 2. I purchased mine as a download before the lawsuit. I have not upgraded because I have a Cricut. Thanks for letting me know that it does not work with Expression 2. I would rather have my SCAL2 then the upgraded Cricut. Just wanted to let others know when installing to a new PC the software lets you know that you have already installed to two machines. It will ask you if you would like to delete one of the machines. I had two desktops crash on me and had to reinstall to the new desktops. Then I had my laptop stolen and was able to install to my new laptop without any problem. As long as you know your serial number you should not have an issue.

11. Rocío October 3, 2013 at 9:17 am #

Tengo el software Sure Cuts a Los 2, tuve problemas con mi computadora, craft me ayudaron para poder instalar ya que decía que el número de serie era invalido, pero todo lo que tenía en respaldo no lo reconoce, porque la versión era 2.044 con muchas opciones y no se como actualizarlo por favor ayudeme, mil gracias

12. Migna October 7, 2013 at 4:07 am #

I have Surecuts alot 2 before the lawsuit came out. my laptop crash and I just installed in the new laptop, I have the original CD and license # for it. But when i send to cut it starts cutting and it stalls in the middle of cutting the file and it stays there and doesnt complete the cut.
    Have anyone experience that? What can I do?
    Thanks

13. Bobbi Beech October 12, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

I have SCAL2 on my current computer. It was an upgraded download from a previous version. How do I reinstall if my computer crashes, and they have to clean up the hard drive when I take it in next week? I don’t want to lose it, I love it and use it all the time!!

14. Sonya January 7, 2014 at 8:34 pm #

What is the alternative to SCAL 2 if you have a cricut expression? We know SCAL 3 doesnt work, does anyone know of another software that would work?

• SVGCuts January 9, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Sonya, there is no alternative at this time.

15. Jen February 22, 2014 at 2:38 am #

I’m in Australia and had no idea of this whole Provo craft fiasco, I’d seen the Cricut cake a few years back and finally bought one late last year. Suffice to say now I’m completely annoyed that I can’t get SCAL or SCAL 2 to use on the machine that the manufacturer no longer even makes! : (

16. Vicki Downey August 14, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

I have just purchased a new PC and am hoping I will be able to transfer my SCAL2 when I set it up. I have used SCAL and SCAL 2 for a number of years with my cricut and will be very disappointed if I can’t use it any longer.

17. Tracy September 24, 2014 at 10:30 am #

Where can I get a legit copy of SCAL 2.044? I recently acquired a Cricut Expression and I would love to be able to use SCAL!

• SVGCuts September 30, 2014 at 6:48 am #

You can’t. It’s no longer available. Sorry, Tracy.