We Visited Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia in NYC!

Boy was I thrilled when Leo (my husband and business partner) and I were invited to take a tour of the studios and offices of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia!

I always sleep in. Even on Christmas. I just love a warm cozy bed, and it's nearly always impossible for me to get up in the morning (even though I completely love my life of course).  However, on the morning of our tour, I sprang out of bed! I couldn't believe it was the day that I was going to MEET the one-and-only Martha Stewart!!! I don't think I've jumped out of bed so early since Santa himself with his furry red suit used to visit my house! The American Made awards ceremony was scheduled later that evening, so I knew I'd be meeting Ms. Stewart, and we were told she wouldn't be in the office during our tour, but I thought "hey you never know." I was beyond excited!  I couldn't believe we would be getting to see behind the scenes at the real office! In person!!

We hitched a ride with our new pals Nikhil and Alejandro from Back to the Roots (another American Made Honoree). I'm afraid only a portion of my brain was engaged in their exciting and intriguing conversations because I was so thrilled out of my gourd to be on my way to Martha's offices. We arrived at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, just off the Hudson River in Manhattan. MSLO shares the building with some other companies but occupies the entire top floor.

The reception area of MSLO

We stepped out of the elevator and walked into the reception area, which looked so "Martha" to me with its beautifully diffused natural light and open, airy feel. It felt so elegant, yet completely welcoming and comfortable. We were joined by some of the other American Made Honorees, our new friends Charles Pinnell and his wife Jinny (Pinnell Custom Leather) and Camas Davis from the Portland Meat Collective. Our tour guide, Assistant Editor Lindsey Mather, whom we had met the night before, greeted us and she just couldn't be sweeter or more lovely!

I don't think I've ever been so excited! My heart was pounding and I had to keep reminding myself to take deep breaths and take it all in. My friends and family will tell you that I'm one of the calmest most laid-back people, even in times of emergency or stress, but that morning I was almost hyperventilating with excitement and anticipation. Even as I write this, I'm getting all worked-up again, haha!

Lindsey told us that they stay pretty active walking around the large space throughout the day and at first, it's even easy to get lost. We made our way through some inner corridors and my cheek muscles were already getting tired from smiling so big the whole time at everyone and everything. The various departments are grouped throughout and we saw producers and developers hard at work. What a group of talented creative folks! I loved seeing the inspiration and decoration that people had pinned up in their personal workspaces.

We made our way to the "test kitchens" where every recipe is developed and tested for the magazine and for various outlets. The kitchens are decked-out and look so well thought-out as far as tools and materials and convenience. It must be heavenly for anyone who loves working with food! It smelled amazing and everyone looked like they were having a blast. We even saw our new pal Lucinda Scala Quinn, Martha's Executive Food Director and Sarah Carey, Everyday Food Editor. It was so exciting for me because I've loved watching them on television and seeing their food creativity in the magazine!

The most striking thing about the MSLO workspaces is the big beautiful windows. The entire floor is encircled by gigantic "warehouse" windows that let in the most perfect, diffused light. It's really easy on the eyes and is the most flattering light for objects and people. (Have you ever tried to take a photo or a "selfie" and noticed how much nicer people and things look depending on the light? Well this is "that perfect light" and it's everywhere!)

The entire office is surrounded by these big warehouse windows that provide the perfect light. Leo thinks that the natural aging of the windows makes the diffusing effect even better.

MSLO kitchen.

Talented foodies having a blast in the MSLO kitchen.

A big highlight for Leo and me were the photo studios and the "prop" storage area. We thought we had a big collection of props and tables and backdrops for our photo shoots, but wow! They have what seems like one of everything! You could create any kind of scene or tablescape with so many different tables and objects, and they had so many different kinds of "walls" on wheels to use as backdrops! Leo was in heaven! We loved seeing how they do what we do, but on such a big, efficient scale! And so organized and clean, too!

Props for photos and videos, organized beautifully and ready for creativity.

Lindsey introduces us all to one of the departments full of talented creative folks hard at work.

My ears perked up big time when I heard that the Craft Department was next! Wow, and talk about having one of everything! Any kind of craft supply you could ever want to make any idea come to life is ready and organized! If you can dream it, you can make it! And right in the middle of it all was one of their recent projects, Martha's pink tulle gown that was created for her to wear for the cover of their latest special issue of Living - the Halloween issue! It's so simple yet ingenious and airy - it's basically just a bunch of gathered tulle that's worn over a pink bodysuit. Check it out in the magazine if you haven't yet - I loved how they brought the "Fairy GrandMartha" idea to life with stunning hair and makeup and enchanting forest props! I couldn't believe I saw the pink tulle costume in real life! Martha really worked it on the cover of the Halloween issue!

Lindsey shows us one of the Craft Department's rooms.

Me having a heart attack next to the pink tulle Fairy GrandMartha costume.

Plenty of organized craft supplies.

Craft supply heaven.

Hannah Milman, the Executive Editorial Director for Crafts showed us some recent projects they've created for celebrity weddings and some inspirational objects they've picked up at flea markets and antique stores that provide color palettes and design ideas. We even got to peek at pages of the December 2013 issue of Living, which had some gorgeous ideas for the holidays. We also got to chat with Eric Pike, Editor-in-Chief of Living.

Next Lindsey showed us the "clerestory," a large open space with windows that nearly encircle the entire top portion of the walls. The decoration hanging from the ceiling was left over from a bridal event they had just held. Lindsey said they hold large meetings there sometimes, and parties as well, and wow, I can only imagine how the space is transformed from event to event!

The clerestory at MSLO.

Finally, we saw Martha's actual office! It was so neat seeing where Martha spends her time working when she's not making her way around the entire MSLO offices! It looks like the perfect space for all the various things I can imagine she does, like handle business, meet with people, reference things, and even take a moment to lounge on the chaise while on the phone or just for a few minutes of re-grouping time. I loved seeing what looks like every single issue of Martha Stewart Living organized in magazine caddies, probably in chronological order. It must be a proud feeling to look at all of those magazines packed full of inspiration and ideas spanning the years! Especially since the ideas and projects are so cutting-edge and yet so timeless.

Martha's Office at MSLO Headquarters.

The new High Line near the MSLO offices, which is a former train line, one story up in the air which has been turned into a walkway, planted with lovely landscaping. We were told by at least five of our new friends at MSLO that it was a must-see, so we made sure to check it out!

Founder & Artist - SVGCuts.com

What an experience! I was so thrilled and it took me about an hour to regain my composure and breath! I felt so honored and so grateful to be able to peep at everything and chat with the editors and employees, and most of all I felt so touched and honored that our crafty friends and fans made this whole thing happen for us by voting for us in the American Made contest! So thank you!!! We love you guys, and what an experience, we'll certainly remember it always!

57 Responses to “We Visited Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia in NYC!”

1. Allie October 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your adventure. What a wonderful trip, you must feel a little like Alice in Wonderland. Congratulations again!

• Linda October 18, 2013 at 3:29 am #

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with YOUR fans, I’m sure it had to be so exciting – you have had quite a year. Winning the American Made contest! AND getting married. I’ll be watching to see what’s in the future for you and Leo. Congratulations. Keep up the good work. Love it.

2. Patti Doss October 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Wow, what a wonderful time you must have had. Love their kitchen, that Martha Fairy gown was awesome too. And then the amazing Craft room everything in it’s place, lol, good thing I dont work there lol, I am so dis-organized, lol. Love the windows in the building too…Must have been an amazing time…<3 Hugs…Patti

3. Bridget Lolar October 17, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

I can feel your excitement when you are talking about your experience!!! You are better than I am. I am not sure I could have left craft heaven :)

So glad you and Leo won, you are so talented and deserving of this.

I know we helped by voting, but you guys earned this with hard work and dedication. Congratulations!!!!!!!

Bridget Lolar

4. Deana Cedar October 17, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

Thanks for sharing your tour with us! I am thrilled that you guys won. :)

5. Janis L U October 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Thank you for sharing your most wonderful experience with us. You and Leo deserve this award. Your work is awesome!

6. Debbie P October 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

What an experience! I would have been just like you, practically gasping for air, at just the thought of being there and seeing the craft room especially. I hyperventilate at the LSS just when new papers arrive LOL! Your story and Leo’s pictures gave me goose bumps! Can’t express enough how excited I am that you won this awesome award…well deserved! Enjoy the rest of “the ride”!

7. Liz Hagag October 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Im happy that you had such a good time! I wish i could have been there too. Omg to actually see Martha and to roam around her studio!!! Glad we could help make one of your dreams come true!!!!

8. celeste lombas October 17, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

OH wow Mary…. You trip really sounds amazing… Oh wow… Awesome. You can hear int he post how excited you were and still am… I am so happy for you both….

9. Susan Roberts October 17, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

So happy for you both. The photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing
    BTW I have been busy putting your beautiful creations together. I did the Maple Manor and I doing that cute owl ! Can’t wait to see what you come up with fir Christmas!!
    Street Team member

10. Cal October 17, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks for sharing the grand tour! I would have had a heart condition too if it were me! I can only imagine the craft department…oh if money were not such an issue! :)

11. Sue Webb October 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

Mary and Leo,
    Thanks so much for sharing your visit to Martha’s studio. I can’t even imagine how it must have been. After reading your description I feel like I was floating through the studio with you. I must say it was an honor to be one of the many SVGCuts fans that sent you there. You are an amazing couple and create amazing products.
    Sue
    Upstate NY

12. Carmen Lucero October 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Thanks, Mary, for sharing your experience with us. As I was reading your post, I felt I was right there with you getting butterflies in my stomach. You are incredibly fortunate to have been invited to the MSLO and experience everything that goes on there first hand. Again, congratulations on winning this well deserved award! Best wishes to you on your bright and beautiful future alongside Leo!

Love you guys,

Carmen L

13. Mom October 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

Mary, thanks for taking us on a tour of your tour. What an unbelievable experience for you! Dad and I are so very proud of you and Leo. We can’t think of a more deserving couple to receive the honors and prizes from this competition. Congratulations once again.

Love you,
    Mom

14. Joanne October 17, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

It was such fun to go on a picture tour of MSLO with you. Thank you for sharing your tour with us. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

15. Kris October 17, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

It feels wonderful for all of us that we were able to send you two to the top! You truly, truly deserve this award and more. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful adventure and your award with us all!

16. linda October 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

Thanks for sharing!!

17. Teesa October 17, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Thanks for sharing the experience.

18. Ilda October 17, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

Mary you did well, I think I might have passed out with the excitement! Thanks for giving us a tour of your tour, it all looks so amazing! SO happy for you both :)

19. Sonia Tolson October 17, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Thank you so much for posting a blog and photos. I am still so excited for you both!! Now enjoy the rest of your honeymoon!!

20. Tracey Farr October 17, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

Looks amazing! So glad you are taking it all in! Enjoy,

21. Lauralee L. October 18, 2013 at 12:15 am #

Wow!! How incredibly amazing and so glad that you both won and were able to go on this amazing adventure! Thank you for sharing with us. Love that pink costume!

22. Julie October 18, 2013 at 2:27 am #

What a wonderful experience and a honeymoon to remember. And memories forever!

23. Glenda October 18, 2013 at 2:49 am #

What fun!!! Love the pics, Thanks for sharing your time in New York with me!!!! Hope you both had a Blast!

24. sue gibson October 18, 2013 at 3:24 am #

How AWESOME!!! I love you guys and Martha Stewart. I miss her tv show. When will your award show be televised ? Thanks for sharing!

25. Barb October 18, 2013 at 4:17 am #

Thank you so much for taking us along for the tour! So happy you got to have this great experience! Thank you, also, for all that you do for us each week with your amazing creations, videos and tutorials. <3

26. Barbara Brusca October 18, 2013 at 4:40 am #

Wow what an experience. Thanks for sharing with us. We are all so proud and honored to be a small part of this with you both.

27. Teresa October 18, 2013 at 7:32 am #

Oh WOW, to have all that craft stash at your finger tips, That would be my Heaven right now, Thank you for sharing this time with us.

Teresa

28. Lana Graham October 18, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Thanks so much, I just love seeing all of this. Enjoy each and every moment!

29. Patti Lee October 18, 2013 at 10:02 am #

Wow- felt like I was there. So nice to be able to see what goes on in the Martha World. <Martha is such an inspiratin to us all. SVGcuts is following in her footsteps of creativity – you are so deserving of the award. Thank you for always sharing. Hugs, P

30. Lynne Stott October 18, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I feel like I was almost there. You must have been so excited like a kid in a candy store when you went in their craft area!

31. Ruth G October 18, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Sounds like a wonderful experience earned by the hard work of you and Leo! Enjoy this time (and your honeymoon) then come back and keep up the good work!
    Thanks so much for sharing this! Very fun to see all those spaces!

32. Maureen Garrigan October 21, 2013 at 1:10 am #

What a fabulous experience for you both…thank you so much for sharing it with us…so pleased for you…!!

33. Elizabeth October 21, 2013 at 11:25 am #

Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with us! Congratulations, again

34. Lorraine October 22, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Thanks for the tour…I’m so glad you and Leo won…such a perfect (and winning) combination of talent. We know and respect your work…now the rest of the world knows. Lorraine

35. DIANA L. October 22, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Mary what a great article. I started hyperventilating just reading all the excitement(just kidding) I was however, very excited for the two of you to have such a wonderful hoineymoon memory- You rock your designs are awesome and I love watching your videos- I say what ever floats your boat now. The hubs says it reminds him of Arthur Spooner from King of Queens. I digress. I felt like I was there with you thanks for sharing.
    Hugs Diana

36. Sandy October 23, 2013 at 11:25 am #

You deserve the recognition. What an awesome memory for you….and I’m sure more to come.

37. Sandra October 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

So happy for you both! Actually, I was in NY from the 2nd to the 5th and was at the High Line too! I would have had the same reactions you had if I had met YOU TWO in person! Thank You for including us all on your life journey. It is certainly a privilege!

38. Holly Veach October 25, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Leo and Mary – Congratulations again! It was so exciting watching your votes increase by the day! I’m a big fan of you both! Thanks for conveying your NY experience. You guys inspire me! Oh, almost forgot, congratulations and best wishes for a beautiful life together! Hugs to you both!

39. Jody Mason October 25, 2013 at 11:22 am #

Thank you so much for sharing your tour of MSLO with us and Congrats again on winning the American Made awards, I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more!! It must have been a great way to spend part of your honeymoon. I hope you two also took time to have the proper honeymoon, you spend so much of your time on us, you definitely deserve to take plenty of time for yourselves for this once in a lifetime event!!

40. Barbara October 25, 2013 at 11:29 am #

To be able to visit craft and food Nirvana would be an experience to document for your future descendants, and allowing us to share it with you and live vicariously for a while had me giddy with excitement, too! Thank you for allowing us to see it through your eyes, Mary! Did you bring home a lot of ideas for new projects? I can’t wait to see what you have in store for your customers, but I know it will be wonderful!

41. Charlotte October 25, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

Congratulations to both you and Leo on your wedding and your MS Award! Your artistic creativity is wonderful, and definitely shows on website SVGCuts. I have made so many of your projects and received so many complements from friends and family, who can hardly believe it’s made out of paper. Thank You both so much for letting me share in your journey. Looking forward to future projects.

42. Jan W October 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

What a winning couple you both are, thank you for all of your hard work that got you to this fun experience.

43. Kristeen October 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

wow, I am so glad you guys had a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing your moments with us. Congratulations to you both on everything, and from my heart I hope the wonderful and beautiful things life has to offer the two of you continue to happen and bring you joy!!

We all know the continued joy that the two of you bring to us!! ;)

44. Debbie Manelli October 25, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I am not sure I could have left the craft room!! You and Leo are so very deserving of the award, you do so much for us by creating the beautiful things you do so we can shine as well!!
    thank you for sharing and caring, as I said before, without you and Leo, I would never had realized the talent I had hiding in me. It is a honor and pleasure to welcome you into my crafting world!!
    Thank you for the bottom of my heart!!
    Debbie Manelli

45. annie October 25, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

Congratulations Mary and Leo! So happy for you — you certainly deserve the win. :)

46. Jeannie October 25, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

Congratulations, again! Thank you for sharing the photos and your experiences at MSLO. As far as I’m concerned, you both are my “Martha”…so talented at what you do as well as inspiring to me as a novice papercrafter. I appreciate you both and am thrilled that you were so honored!

47. Amy C October 25, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

So glad that you had a FABULOUS trip! – Honeymoon, and Wedding! What wonderful descriptions of your adventure! It sounded so real I could taste it!

You guys have found an AWESOME niche, and fill it with FLAIR!

Congratulation! Best Wishes! and Many, Many Blessings for your future!

48. Wendy G October 25, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

What a dream come true for two very deserving people!!! And I’m glad to have helped make it happen :)

On a totally different note – WHERE did you get your brogues – I love them!!!

• Mary R. November 6, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Thanks Wendy!! I got them from Free People (their website), but it was about a year ago and they don’t have them anymore. There are cute little tiny studs on them too. :)

49. BeverlyBaxley October 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

So interesting to see the business of Martha. So clean and organized. Congratulations on your wedding and your wonderful award.

50. Sandra Farnham October 25, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

What a wonderful adventure!! Thanks for sharing part of it with us all. I could feel your excitement and enjoyed the peek into MSLO.
    So now the only thing I can think of to top all of the last few months would be to hear you announce a new little SVGCUTS into your family!!
    Congrats
    Sandra

51. Alice Smith October 25, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

Sounds as if you had wonderful time. Very happy for both of you on all levels. God Bless & enjoy your life as I can tell you have till now.

52. Connie Haney October 26, 2013 at 2:19 am #

So happy for you both! Thanks for sharing with us!

53. Cathy October 26, 2013 at 11:57 am #

So glad you won…CONGRATULATIONS and the same on your wedding! You really deserved to win, I had my entire family voting for you on a regular basis. Whenever I have had a question you are always so quick to help and give great advice, Your creativity is amazing.
    I appreciate you sharing your tour of MS’s headquarters, it was fun to see where her team creates.
    Best of luck and again…congrats.
    Cathy

54. Linda October 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

It’s so exciting to see such a nice young couple getting the reward they so richly deserve! I hope you realize that your customers wouldn’t have taken their time to vote for you if they hadn’t been as happy with your customer support/service as I’ve been. Not many businesses will take the time to correspond with their customers like you do Leo. That in itself makes a customer feel special. If you always show your customers such special care, they’ll return the care to you like you’ve just witnessed.

It’s great that you two have experienced the terrific tradition of marriage and we all hope it will remain to be a constant road of enjoyment. If you both work together on your marriage like you do in business, there’s no doubt your life together will be absolutely wonderful!!!! God bless you, your business and your home.

55. jean heming October 28, 2013 at 7:18 am #

I love reading about your great time at Martha’s!! You an Leo enjoy, you are both so very very nice!!! Hugs Jean Heming