Cricut To Revisit SVG Support? Cricut Explore, Design Space and Aircut

It’s been over two years since Provo Craft filed suit against software companies Craft Edge (Sure Cuts a Lot) and Make The Cut. Since that time, the personal electronic cutting machine market has seen a shift from cartridge-based systems to software-driven systems that allow crafters to cut their own designs through the use of fonts and SVG files as well as other proprietary file formats.

You don’t have to be a detective to see that companies like Silhouette and Sizzix are stealing Cricut’s market share–it’s written on the walls of Facebook, Pinterest and various craft-related forums. A quick glance at Alexa’s traffic statistics clearly shows a decline in Cricut.com popularity, while showing an increase in Silhouette’s popularity. As of Friday, November 8th 2013, Alexa.com indicates that Silhouette’s website is globally more popular than Cricut.com.

alexa-stats-cricut-silhouette

Not only that, but blog traffic to Silhouette-related websites is up, while Cricut-related blog traffic is down. I’m willing to bet that Provo Craft is aware of this shift and I believe they are taking the steps necessary to get back in the game.

top40-graph

Provo Craft’s Latest Trademark Filings

Yes, we discovered three new patents related to potential Cricut products that may or may not be in the works. And no we didn’t get this information from Provo Craft, it’s actually public information that is available through the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Again, this is all speculation based on public information.

On June 23rd, 2013, Provo Craft registered the trademark “Design Space” with the USPTO (Serial Number 85967419), which according to the USPTO website is “Downloadable computer software, downloadable cloud computer software, and downloadable computer software for use on mobile and cellular phones, all for operation of electronic cutting machines, operation of cutting and printing machines for paper and other materials in sheet form, and for designing and creating customized art images that are cut out and printed by electronic cutting machines and printing machines on paper and other materials in sheet form”

Based on the “ designing and creating customized art images that are cut out and printed by electronic cutting machines ” description, it sounds like Provo Craft may finally be giving their users the freedom to cut their own designs and/or use designs from other sources (SVGCuts.com etc).

I know what you’re thinking! You’re still skeptical! I don’t blame you, but if we compare the trademark description of the current Cricut Craft Room (Serial Number 85297821) to this “new” program “Design Space”, there is one difference. Cricut Craft Room’s trademark registration page doesn’t include the “for designing and creating customized art images that are cut out and printed by electronic cutting machines” clause, while “Design Space” does. And why would you release ANOTHER software under a different name that does the same thing? Why not simply include SVG import options in the existing Cricut Craft Room? Sounds to me like it will be a separate program that they can cash in on. I don’t see them implementing SVG support to Cricut Craft Room. If they did, they’d basically be supporting and paying for a cloud-based infrastructure that people would be using to cut content from other sources. Doesn’t make sense from a business standpoint.

We also discovered trademark registrations for a cutting machine called the “Cricut Explore” (Serial Number 85967411) and a new technology called “Aircut” (Serial Number 86080152). Aircut registration was filed on October 1st, 2013 and the description may indicate that they are working on a way to link tablets and other mobile devices to their cutting machines. Could it be wireless cutting from an iPad or Android device? Don’t know! This is all speculation based on the USPTO filings.

Conclusion

We’re not publishing this information because we want you to get excited about a company that may have rubbed you the wrong way a few years ago. We’re publishing this information because we get dozens of emails on a weekly basis from Cricut users that want to use our files. Their prayers might just be answered with the filing of the “Design Space” trademark and we wanted to be the first to provide the potential good news, especially for those of you that don’t see yourselves dishing out money on a new machine.

90 Responses to “Cricut To Revisit SVG Support? Cricut Explore, Design Space and Aircut”

1. Penny November 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

After they sued all those people who would want to use there machine? There machines made it big only because that was the only machines available at the time now cameo and other machines run circles around the cricut why settle for there machines when you can have better.

2. Barbara November 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Too little too late. After 2 long years, I finally have a Silhouette Cameo and can finally toss my Cricut. All I can say is you’re too late for me Prvocraft.

• Suzanne Cook November 8, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

Im with you Barbara. Its too little to late. I have my Silhouette and I love it. I also have a Black Cat Cougar arriving any day now and looking forward to a long relationship with it. :)

I dont think they thought that people would leave. I think they where stupid enough to think people will stay. They have treated the customer with contempt really they defiantly didnt listen back then. So its their Loss. There are far better machines on the market than the Cricut.

Thank you for keeping us all informed.

3. Jessica Griffin November 8, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

I can’t say I’m surprised… but way to go detective! :)

4. kELLI November 8, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

Too little, too late. I have 3 cricuts in the garage gathering dust. All machines can use SCAL. Frustrated with the old version of SCAL and annoyed with cricut’s attempts to thwart my decision to use MY machine as I see fit, I bought a silhouette. LOVE it, and it runs circles around cricut. I hope they end up in bankruptcy!

5. Maryann November 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

Well that would be nice. I really don’t enjoy using my Cricut because I feel so restricted. I can’t toss the machine but don’t really use it either. I hope they see the light ASAP! Thanks for the possible good news.

6. Christine November 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

I for one can say I am happy. I cannot afford a new cutter so I continue to use my Cricut and make do with whatever svg files I can find although it can be frustrating to see something cute that I cannot use. Thanks for the information.

• Pam November 9, 2013 at 6:35 am #

Although Christine, in Provo Craft fashion, they will charge you for it and then not be able to support it.

7. Sam Mix November 8, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

That’s some thorough market research, folks. Thanks for your advocacy!

8. sharalyn morgan November 8, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

It is a wise business man who keeps his eyes and ears open and on his competition… Good going Sherlock! but as they others said a little to late for most of us..an inferior cutting machine will not go far with me… I love my Silhouette!

9. Teesa November 8, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

I have 2 cricut’s an haven’t use them since I got my eclips love it wouldn’t be going back.

10. Gen November 8, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Provo Craft is greedy! There w no reason to sue! I will never use their products again. Their machines stink and can’t cut as good as the Cameo. I wish they would just go out of business they are awful, their customer service is non existent!

11. Cheryl P November 8, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

If they really are coming into the ‘real world’ it will be nice for those of us who are stuck with a Cricut due to lack of funds to buy a new cutter. However, I doubt it will improve my machine to the point where it might finally cut a round circle.

I’m saving up for a Cameo or a Zing.

• Pam November 9, 2013 at 6:37 am #

Cheryl, as I stated above in another comment, PC will not give you any of this new technology free……..they will make you pay for and then not be able to support it!

• Erica January 20, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

Cheryl, after selling my cricut expression and the cartridges for it on ebay was able to buy my Silhouette cameo plus some extras on amazon and I had money left over! Might be worth a try! ;)

12. Janet B November 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Interesting article. I have had a Cricut for about 6 years and have never rubbished either the machine or Provocraft. I can understand some of their actions in the past, but they perhaps did take the extreme measures with these actions. I was fortunate that I had SCAL 2 and was able to run my Cricut with that. I kept the update separate and use that with my other cutting machine. It is good to know that PC are finally seeing the light (perhaps) and doing something to bring their machines back into the real world of svg cutting. Still, it will take time to get things off the ground and we will see if the new software works with the original machines. I am perfectly happy with what I have at the moment. I still love my Cricut and it is my go-to machine when I am using svg files and SCAL.

• Lydia Matthews November 9, 2013 at 6:35 am #

Yay, Janet. Cricut power! lol.

13. Theresa November 8, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

They did it to themselves. I am glad their arrogance has caused them a decline. But after switching machines I will never go back now!

14. Heather November 9, 2013 at 12:45 am #

I sold all of my cricut stuff ages ago. I LOVE my silhouette which encourages creativity and does not limit it like provo craft. Despite the greed of provo craft, silhouette has a superior machine and company. I would never go back to the frustrations and limitations of the cricut after using the versatile cameo. Too bad for cricut, without the lawsuits and obvious disregard for the needs of its consumers i would still been using their machine. I have also pursuaded countless others considering die cutting machines to buy a silhouette in lieu of the cricut. However, i am glad for the lawsuits because it enabled me to research other machines and find one that is far superior to the cricut machines. Better company. Better machine. The lawsuits opened a window for consumers to find a better product. I always believed that was the beginning of cricut’s end.

15. Jackie November 9, 2013 at 1:16 am #

That is interesting information for sure, but I think you are wrong in assuming that ProvoCraft is creating their Design Space to work with existing cutters. Why would they? They already got all the profit they could from those old machines. The only way they are going to grow their market to the levels they once were is though the sale of NEW machines, especially if they are moving away from a cartridge-based system. The patent for the additional “wireless” technology supports this theory as well. While the software on their current machines can easily be updated via firmware upgrades, it’s very likely that the existing machines themselves lack the necessary hardware required for a wireless connection (no Bluetooth receiver).

Cricut rose to fame in the home electronic cutter market because they didn’t have strong competitors that the general public was aware of. While they didn’t have a better machine, they were much better at marketing and advertising (infomercials, QVC, shelf space at the major craft stores). But times have changed and people are more aware of their options. Now Silhouette has as much shelf space (if not more) at some of the major retailers. And those in the crafting community aren’t likely to “forgive and forget” the actions ProvoCraft has taken in the past to put limits on their creativity.

All I can say is if even if these new patents do pan out, ProvoCraft’s recent history of poor execution will likely ensure that their competitors won’t have anything to worry about. You don’t have to look much further than the Gypsy, the Imagine, and their current Design Studio to prove my point.

• SVGCuts November 9, 2013 at 7:01 am #

You could be right! My post is 100% speculation!! We’ll see what happens! :)

• Donna M Cervantez November 9, 2013 at 7:47 am #

That was my thought is that they would come out with a “new machine” to do all this new stuff, afterall it does talk and printing and cutting and the Imagine has been discontinued, besides I don’t think it could handle it anyways. I would imagine they would still have some kind of control over what SVGs you could cut, they have to make their money someway. If they would have been smart, they would have hired Andy at MTC to be a consultant to help them improve their own software so is would be a more useful stable program, plus if they did this instead of suing him the customer base would not have taken such a big hit.
      I have Cameo and love it, their software is great to design on, I also have MTC (old version I can use on my cricuts) it cuts so much better than my Circuts AND it cuts a real circle, not a flat one.

I have 3 Cricut machine and lots and lots of cartridges and still use them, I just can’t bring myself to sell then I have way too much money invested.
      They really did do this to themselves, it is a deep hole to dig out from. I am sure if they do this the new people will be excited but it will not bring back those customers they lost, we have all moved on to bigger and better things

16. andrea (Ladyofthelake) November 9, 2013 at 1:31 am #

As others have said, too little too late. Friends and I predicted this lawsuit would turn around and bite them — and that they were being very short-sighted with it. Before I plunk down any more $$ towards software from PC, I’ll put that money towards another machine. But so far my baby bug, SCAL purchased BEFORE the lawsuit and my free or purchased files (including SVGCuts) are doing just fine. Knock wood.

17. DEBBIE MCCLEAN November 9, 2013 at 1:37 am #

I own both cricut and silhouette machines, I love both. As I live in the uk we were behind USA and did not know that programs like SCAL MAKE THE CUT were even being sued, so by the time I purchased cricut it was too late to purchase these kind of programs. I totally agree Provocraft are greedy and have shot themselves in the foot. Most places are selling their items at discount prices to get rid of them.
    As for big companies stealing designs, a lot of small designers are selling their designs to both cricut, sizzix and also silhouette. Any wonder the designs are all starting to cross-over.
    Also many designers belong to many crafting groups which also causes similar designs to be posted. I belong to a small crafting group and after being on some facebook groups, pininterest etc. We all meet up and come up with similar and even exact designs. As the popularity has grown and new people are joining groups and sharing ideas, the cross-over is getting larger, My fear is because of this many designers and crafters will stop sharing ideas and many groups stop. As a crafter mainly for family and friends I don’t want this to happen as crafters enjoy sharing their work and don’t mind sharing as an ordinary person it is nice when someone tries to do your design and put their idea and work into it. Which in turn gives you more inspiration back to do something else.
    But it becomes a different ball game when larger companies copy it and claim it as their own work. As crafters such as myself would not be able to afford to sue large companies.
    My advice to all crafters is ALWAYS WATERMARK AND DATE YOUR OWN DESIGNS.

18. Narelle November 9, 2013 at 2:30 am #

I think this is a great idea if it all goes ahead. It’s obvious that the new management team at PC are aware of the mistakes that were made in the past and really want to revitalize the company.

And if their new software is fully downloadable I will be truly happy.

Besides my Cricuts I also have a Silhouette. But I would love to be able to really get better use out of my hundreds of cartridges. A stable, non internet dependent design program would definitely achieve that.

Thanks for the info!

19. Sandra O November 9, 2013 at 2:45 am #

Leo- thanks for staying on top of the industry news
    I believe that your recent award will be factored into Provo Craft’s (as well as other related businesses) future decisions. I really think few people in the craft industry considered “those Scrap Bookers” to be a serious force (and market) to be reckoned with- know they know.

20. shelley November 9, 2013 at 3:04 am #

Too little to late. They had a product that we bought and should have been able to use it how we wanted. With that said though, I don’t see the difference between their policy and Angel policies when you purchase a file. I’m not selling the file, just what I made. That’s like a paper company telling me what I can or cannot to with the paper…..

21. Karine November 9, 2013 at 3:44 am #

Glad to hear that may be in the works. I have a cricut and have to use SCAL2 for my svg files. It is interesting to read how much more everyone likes their other machines I’ve been thinking about getting a new machine and thought it would just be for the benefit of being able to use SCAL3 nice to know I’ll be getting a machine that works better too :)

22. Kelly November 9, 2013 at 3:54 am #

A little to late ! After Cricut stopped us from using svg ‘s and scal. I went to eclips ! I love it I give Cricut 1 star I give eclips 5 star . Eclips cuts so much better . Sorry Cricut.

23. Jasen November 9, 2013 at 4:00 am #

Nice finds. But I doubt PC will open up their machines. Their Craft Room lets you design and create customized art images, but you are still tied to their files. I could see a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth based machine that uses a tablet or phone for the user interface, but the app would still be locked down to their library of cutting files.

They tried once with the Gypsy, but that didn’t work out so well because nobody wants a single purpose device in the age of smart phones & tablets. You can’t make proprietary hardware cheaper than Apple and the Android companies can crank out general purpose devices.

But, perhaps tellingly, we got the big Michael’s Christmas book. Not a Cricut to be seen. But there’s a Cameo right in the center.

24. Janis LU November 9, 2013 at 4:03 am #

I have 3 Cricuts and love everyone of them equally. I bought the Cricut when it first came out and knock on wood, have not had any problems with them. Yes, I have invested a lot of money into the cartridges (have 187 cartridges) over the years but that is okay. I use my Cricut three to four times a week. I make close to 120 treat holders a month for elementary school children, bulletin board cutouts for teachers, science and class projects. so I feel my investment is well worth it. I am in the process of opening up my door to middle school teenagers so they work on their class projects. I do not charge the teachers or kids for the supplies. This is my way of giving back to the community.

Do I wish I had a Silhouette Cameo, you betcha! I would love to be able to cut out SVGCut projects out. One day I will own one, but in the meantime I will continue to purchase from SGVCut, because I love their projects. Hey, it never hurts to dream.

25. tammy woodcock November 9, 2013 at 4:04 am #

What happens to the owners of Craft Edge? They got sued and lost a ton of income over this. Now Provocraft is taking their idea and running with it? That doesn’t seem fair. Will they post an apology and give credit where it is due?

26. Jen November 9, 2013 at 4:10 am #

I have a cricut with an old copy of SCAL2 so I can still use the SVGs. But I think Provocraft messed up big time with the whole lawsuit thing. From what I hear of other machines, the Cricut machines need to be drastically improved in order to compete now as Silhouette and others seem to have machines that do much better cutting. I have always loved my Cricut (not Provocraft, though after that whole fiasco), but will probably switch to a Sillhouette when I have to eventually replace my machine. Unless, of course, the Cricut is improved. But like Cheryl P, I would like a machine that actually cuts a round circle.

27. Cindy Reid November 9, 2013 at 4:13 am #

I just love all my SVG’S, I have the baby bug so I use SCAL2. I have scrapper friends that buy files for me to cut for them, because they use the Expression. I am unable to afford another machine at this time and dread if anything would happen to prohibit me from cutting, manipulating, sizing my creations!

28. Chris November 9, 2013 at 4:13 am #

I still have my Cricut as my only cutting machine. I use SCAL but can never upgrade either. If something were to happen to my Cricut, I would NOT be replacing it with another Cricut…even if they were do add a software package, simply because of them suing SCAL and MTC. Did they seriously think that by suing they wouldn’t lose customers!!! SCAL and MTC are the way to go so much cheaper than carts!!

29. Dioney November 9, 2013 at 4:16 am #

Hola, soy de Venezuela, compre la cricut emocianada hace ya un poquito más de un año, pero asi como dicen en los otros comentarios, me frustre al no poder diseñar y hacer los cortes que quiera con ella. Si esta información es cierta, me alegraria muchisimo, ya que a mi se me hace algo dificil comprar otra maquina de corte. Espero que Provocraft haga algo pronto, porque mi cricut se esta llenando de telarañas…

30. Cyndy November 9, 2013 at 4:28 am #

I guess we will see in time. Although, I can’t believe they are willing to give total freedom, it’s not their style. We thought Design Studio might have been an option for the same thing back when they were releasing it. I think they are still of the impression that they don’t have to allow their customers to use third party files. I visit their facebook page from time to time and they don’t even answer their questions about using svg files with full disclosure of the machines limitations (at least that was the case about 8 months ago). Someone asked about designing their own files and they said they had a DS community that allowed for creative freedom. Very misleading. It would be wonderful for everyone who has a cricut. Have you seen how many used Cricut’s are listed on ebay? People really are jumping ship! Only time will tell.

31. Marie November 9, 2013 at 4:34 am #

So glad I got my SCAL before Provocraft stopped Cricut users from being able to use it. I still use my Cricut, but would like to have a Cameo (hint, hint!!!). Since my Cricut still works fine, I just can’t justify spending the money right now. I would love it if I could get the current updates for SCAL. For the sake of all the Cricut users, I hope PC does change their previous decision and allow Cricut users to be able to use SCAL. But, eventually I will replace my Cricut with a Cameo.

32. Barbara November 9, 2013 at 4:38 am #

I own three cricuts, an expression, an imagine and a mini. I have never updated my expression so that I can use my software. I have SCAL and MTC although I really only use MTC. I use my mini to cut from cricut.com so that I do not have to update my expression. I rarely use my imagine, that was truly a waste of money because it never did what they promised it would do… I will not buy another product of theirs but don’t know whether I want to learn another cutter but if I do it will probably be a cameo.

33. Janis LU November 9, 2013 at 4:45 am #

Oops! Forgot to mention that I also use the Cricut Craft Room daily to design items not available in cartridges – or tto combine objects from various cartridges to make the item I want.

34. candice November 9, 2013 at 4:50 am #

I also would agree that this cpmes way too late and i would discourage anylone who told me they were thinking of buying it. I have the Eclips and it cuts better and is way faster than my Cricut. I did have the software before the law suit.

35. Sue Stanley November 9, 2013 at 5:06 am #

If they just would have let the new kids on the playing team along time ago they wouldn’t be in the situation they are in. I too have a Cricut and SCAL 2 and a Silhouette. I love my Silhouette for many reasons and once my cricut dies that’s it for the bug.

What is upsetting me right now is the fact that I can’t use Cricut’s Craft Room software because my cricut has older firmware and I have to update the firmware in order to use it, but once I do that I then will not be able to use my SCAL 2 software anymore. Cricut has you there. Another sneaking thing in my opinion. So I either have to buy SCAL3 to continue using any cut files I download (i.e from SVGcuts or other companies) and update my firmware— or stay with SCAL2 as I have been but not be able to design with the cricut cartridges I already have.

I LOVE SVGcuts!!!

• Janet B November 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

I use the Cricut Craft room most of the time and still can use SCAL2. Updating the firmware does not seem to take away the option of using SCAL as well as the CCR.

36. Kingmontmom November 9, 2013 at 5:18 am #

I use my cricut with the older version of SCAL and am satisfied as I don’t use it a lot (I can pretty much find files that will fill my needs) however if I were to upgrade it would NOT be with PC and I don’t ever look at their files since I can’t cut them anyway. The lawsuit left a bad taste in my mouth that won’t ever leave! There are too many options and great companies like SVGCuts!

37. Susan Robertd November 9, 2013 at 5:19 am #

Software aside, I was never able to get the intricrate cuts in my Cricut that I get with Cameo!

38. ellen baker November 9, 2013 at 5:22 am #

i always said that Cricut company had shot themselves in the foot

39. Judy Hartmann November 9, 2013 at 5:30 am #

I have a Cricut expression about 2-3 years old before they took away the ability to use SVGCuts. I have not updated the firmware on it since I heard about the issue with Provo craft. I have way more SVGCut files than Cricut cartridges too exspensive. I haven’t use a cartridge in a long time. I have the scal 2 and it works great with my Cricut. I love SVGCuts and I can do so much more ith them on my computer than with my Cricut cartridges. I even have the Cricut design studio that I won’t use because I would have to update my cricuit. Provocraft lost me when they did the lawsuit. Love you guys!

40. Debbie Chapman November 9, 2013 at 6:14 am #

I am done with Provo Craft. They brought this on themselves and their customer service is HORRIBLE. I will never buy another cart from them or another machine. I personally owned 7 of their machines. I still have 2. Hoping to sell them soon. I LOVE my Silhouette and the 1 time I had to contact customer service (because I got a new laptop and couldn’t find my info to load everything) I had an email within 10 minutes. I haven’t touched my Cricut in over a year!

41. Leslie Zee November 9, 2013 at 6:15 am #

Congrats on the research, Leo. You are a wise businessman. I can’t see Provocraft regaining their market edge as they have really burned their most loyal customers so badly it would take an act of God to regain trust again.

My introduction to paper crafting was through the Cricut Imagine which I bought in 2010 for $500.00. I also invested hundreds in many Imagine print and cut cartridges as well as the original cartridges. Being a computer person, I waited impatiently for the Cricut Craftroom software to be released. The software never worked properly with the Imagine and software updates actually damaged the machine. Instead of fixing the issues, Provocraft announced they were dropping support of the imagine leaving thousands of owners in the lurch with wasted investments of hundreds of dollars. They never offered redress to us. Provocraft is a company that cannot be trusted. In my opinion, they do not have the seasoned software team required to support all the grandiose patterns they just filed. Also, I have no reason to believe they won’t pull support for whatever they release in future. That’s why I haven’t purchased an Expression and my cartridges are sitting on my shelf collecting dust next to my broken Imagine.

42. SewCalGak November 9, 2013 at 6:25 am #

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.

But I am quite concerned about their filing for a patent on the words “Design Space”. This is such a common term by so many designers and software companies I’m fearful what the impact will be.

SewCalGal

43. Jeanmarie Cintron November 9, 2013 at 6:25 am #

I would love to be able to cut SVG files with my Cricut I cannot buy another cutting system, I wish they had considered this before and look into the future. Hopefuly we will be able to do so in the short run or in the long run but not too long! ;)

44. Marie November 9, 2013 at 6:28 am #

Would be good for you. I have a Cricut and was lucky to get FairyCut while it could still, be used, so I can use your lovey cut files. But must say, I don’t like them and although I have their machine, will probably never buy another one again. As they say, cut your nose and spoil your own face.

45. Deb Ochs-LaGrone November 9, 2013 at 6:30 am #

Too little to late is an understatement. The audacity if Provo craft trying to corner the market and force those of us that own a Cricut to buy only their products has left a sour taste in my mouth. I will not be using any new products made by them They dug their own grave by being greedy.

46. Lydia Matthews November 9, 2013 at 6:33 am #

I don’t know what all this is about, but I LOVE my Cricut and Gypsy…I have no problems with it, It is what it is !

47. Sandi Smith November 9, 2013 at 6:41 am #

I have three Cricut machines (not including the Cricut Imagine that has been discontinued and is sitting unused in my craft room) and a Cameo I purchased a few months ago but have yet to learn how to use. I primarily use my Expression 2 and plan to get proficient with my Cameo. I have around 150 cartridges for the Cricut but do not plan to purchase more. Obviously with my investment, I am not giving up my Cricuts machines. I think I have a reason to use both type of machines. I understand PC making a business decision to protect their product. They may have gone about it in a less than nice way but I doubt they were concerned about PR while trying to protect their products.

My main concern is the patent on a new machine called “Cricut Explore” mentioned above. It seems more likely to me based on PC’s history of new versions of the Cricut, that they will launch a new version that uses SCAL related technology, add in the tablet and/or android ability and they will have a machine that goes one step further than the Cameo or Eclipse. This would give them a new product without addressing the issue of updating existing Cricut machines to used SCAL technology. Doesn’t that sound like PC?

I can say with certainty that I will not purchase another Cricut machine. Especially after the failure of the Imagine. I only hope that if I happen to be right about a new machine from PC, that Silhoutte will keep their technology up to date to compete with it.

48. Kasi November 9, 2013 at 6:47 am #

I was using my Cricut with MTC when I first got it. I only purchased that particular machine because I was able to use MTC and accessories were readily available. Also, the SD was too small. Even as a newby to cutting machines I could tell that the Cricut Expression didn’t cut well. Cutting intricate designs ruined my paper. It would tear. Cutting a small item like say an eye for a paper doll? Ha! Disn’t happen. Oh and the oval vs circle thing.

After about 6 months I was fed up and purchased the Silhouette SD. Two years later I Decided to upgrade to a Cameo. I recently sold both the SD and Cricut. Once I purchased my first Silhouette my Cricut was never used again.

I didn’t boycott because of what they did. I decided to let their product collect dust because it was inferior to other machines.

• Bev Meyer November 9, 2013 at 8:06 am #

I had the first Cricut out and purchased about 6 cartridges! It was a nuisance figuring out some of the cuts. Then I got the mini and I love it. Yes, it only takes 8 1/2 by 11 but that,s big enough for what iI need. The cuts are good as long as you slow it down for intricate things! I have not had ny problems with circles either.
      As far as the business practices…they did what most companies do protect their products. Have you ever looked at the grocery store for a favorite item(at least for you) and found it was discontinued?
      I will stick with my mini…. Can’t really justify the money for a new plaything. I don’t make money on my cutting….in fact I could get by with a good scissors to fussy cut. I,m 77 years old …use my Cricut weekly and I am satisfied. I don’t NEED 100 or more cartridges! Does anyone? Seems as though that’s collecting. Nor do I NEED 5- 8 machines. Seems a little overkill to me!

49. Cindy E November 9, 2013 at 7:08 am #

I still have my Cricut but my usage dropped off dramatically with the bungling of the roll out of the Craft Room software (CCR) and the lack of Gypsy support. I bought a Silhouette and love it! That said, there are times when I will jump on the Cricut for a quick cut (for example, something needed for a last-minute school project) So, for the time being, I won’t be abandoning it.

A couple of things to consider: Of all the people I personally know with a Cricut, NONE of them use CCR. Even though I have told them about it, for whatever reason, they seem to prefer the simplicity of popping in a cart and cutting. (Personally, I prefer using the Gypsy over CCR, so I don’t use it either) But these people love their Cricuts and still use them, oblivious to all the drama surrounding the lawsuits, etc. that we are all familiar with. The biggest issues to these folks are the sameness of the carts, as everything seems to come from a handful of designers. But once my friends see the things I am able to do with my Cameo, they are blown away! If they could have access to the same things that I have and still use their machines, they might be willing to learn a software program to go with it.

Secondly, it is very difficult to find supplies for Cameo and other cutters in retailers. Cricut takes up a lot of space with their machines and carts, and there is only one store near me where I can pick up Cameo consumables. And I kind of get the impression that people don’t “get” the superior cutters because they still think they will require carts like the Cricuts. I would love to have better access to the Cameo supplies, but for now, there are still a lot of Cricut users out there.

I’m betting a lot of them would love the additional versatility that would be offered by having access to .svg cuts, but somehow, there has to be a way to demo it in stores.

50. Irene November 9, 2013 at 7:11 am #

Thanks so much for this update, Leo. But I also agree with everybody else…too little too late. I use my Silhouette for my SVG’s. I also still love my Cricut (cuz it’s free standing, and not attached to my computer). So I use both machines, but am so glad that you, Leo, helped me install my Silhouette. I like to think I’ve got the best of both worlds.

51. Sheree November 9, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Personally, I am excited! I have a lot of money invested in Provo craft, and overall, am very excited about this news!

52. Lori Banks November 9, 2013 at 8:11 am #

I LOVE YOU GUYS!! Thanks for the info!!!!

53. Kay November 9, 2013 at 8:14 am #

Hi – No wrote them when this first happened and told them they would be out of business in a few years. Still use my circut and the old SCAL. However, have told everyone I know (because I only use SCAL and SVG.cuts on it) not to waste their time with a circut but to by silhouette or another machine. I will purchase one myself when my circut dies.

54. Linda November 9, 2013 at 8:37 am #

I still have my cricut machines but do not use them. I now have the Cameo and I love it! With the flexibility of being able to cut a photograph silhouette of my kids and choosing any font I want, not to mention all the wonderful places I can buy designs is the best. I use DE for my Cameo and I have SCAL and MTC I used with cricut but now gets used to make SVG files to cut on my Silhouette Cameo. I have over 100 cricut cartridges and a gypsy that do not get used because PC forced me to find something else. I was tired of all the BS and threats that PC was coming after us if we continue to use the machine with SCAL or MTC. As much as I’d like to get excited that I could possibly use my Ipad with a cricut is very exciting to me, but the wound has not yet healed. I will wait till someone else comes out with that feature in their software to use with my cameo (or whatever machine replaces the cameo). Good luck to PC and I hope they learned their lesson.

55. Pam H November 9, 2013 at 8:45 am #

Like so many of you I was highly upset that CP had to “have it all” but then I paid very little for my Cricut. You either pay upfront for other cutting machines or you pay far, far less and then deal with what they provide. Fortunately, I found SCAL 2 and MTC before “all hell broke loose” and have chosen not to upgrade either program. So wish I could but until Santa drops a new cutter down my chimney, I will continue to use the above and preserve memories in the most creative ways that are at my reach. I’m just so thankful for SCAL 2 and MTC to allow me to use my creativity and not the canned stuff that PC offers.

56. Sonia Tolson November 9, 2013 at 8:57 am #

Great job gathering intel, Leo. And thanks for passing it on to us. I loved my Cricut, but hated how PC jerked their customers around. I hope these changes will increase your business volume. I, however, will never go back to Cricut cutters. I was with them from the beginning, through Expression, Gypsy, & Imagine. They made too many promises & did not keep them. And then to sue SCAL like they did? No, I’m so over PC.

57. Debby November 9, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Thanks for the information but it will take a miracle to get me to go back to my Cricut. They really made me mad when they released the Cricut Craft Room (CCR) and wouldn’t allow you to use your cartridges on it if they were attached to your Gypsy. In order to use them on the CCR you would have to unattached them to your Gypsy. What a crock. You own the cartridges, you own the Gypsy and they’re all registered with Provo Craft so why wouldn’t they allow you to use them on both. I hate it when companies release something and don’t think of the small details that affects their other products. Provo Craft also blew it when they wouldn’t let you use other Software and images to cut on their machines. Big Big Mistake on their part. As I was getting more and more frustrated with my Gypsy because of some glitch I couldn’t resolve I was hearing wonderful things about the Silhouette Cameo (SC) on various blogs I was following and asked for one. My hubby bought a SC for my Bday this year and I tell him it’s the 2nd best Bday present ever. I’ve used it more in the short time I’ve had it than I did my Cricut that I’ve had for many years. My SC cuts the small details so much better than the Cricut. My first major project was taking a baby Minnie Mouse free image off the internet and broke it down to the various pieces. I cut it at 3 1/2 Inches. The small eyes and gloves cut perfectly. If I cut a Disney image on the Cricut that small the eyes and the small pieces would be jacked up. With all that said, when a newbie crafter is looking for my advice on which machine to get I tell them without hesitation Silhouette Cameo because they’ll love it.

58. Kim Bright November 9, 2013 at 10:09 am #

To be frankfully honest, the only reason I bought a cricut in the first place was so that I could use Sure Cuts Alot with it. I bought my copy of SCAL before I ever got my machine! It’s really sad that they had to sue and be so nasty about it. I really feel that their lawsuits caused a huge decline in sales for them and they soiled their own name in doing so.

59. Darlene November 9, 2013 at 10:25 am #

I still have my Cricut and the many cartridges. But like many others here I’ve become disappointed with Provo Craft. I just purchased the Brother Scan and cut which does so much more. http://www.brother-usa.com/scanNcut/#.Un6IM7K9KSM. I first bought my Cricut with the idea to use it along with my sewing to cut appliqué but I never could get it to cut fabric very well. Plus I’m one who likes to make my own designs, now I can draw what I want, scan it and cut it. I can also still use the designs off the cartridges by drawing the design on my Cricut using the ink pens, scan it into the Scan and cut and cut out the design on fabric.

60. DottieM November 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

I have a Cricut Expressions and think the cuts it makes are very inferior to the cuts I get wiith my Silhouette Cameo. I am trying to sell my Cricut, cartridges and Gypsy as a package but no luck so far.

61. Kay November 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Great analysis, and don’t forget Brother, who just added SVG support to their new ScanNCut machines yesterday. PC is going to have a very steep hill to climb to get back in the game.

62. Tina C. November 9, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

I’d be surprise if people would buy anything new from Cricut they have done their customer base so wrong with their other items that people are tired of buying it and then when it fails they back out and your stuck, I’m happy with my Cameo now and I can cut anything, they lost me when they weren’t honoring their imagine and gypsy and was phasing it out. To much money spent on things that sit there and collect dust

63. Jacki November 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Is there any way to link a Cricut to a Silhouette or Cameo? I have invested SO MUCH money into cartridges and I wouldn’t want to lose the ability to use them. But my Cricut is on its last legs. It keeps telling me that there is not enough space to cut a 3″ object when I start at the beginning of a 12 in page (for example). Hours later, I turn it back on and it works. So I would really love to buy another machine, but as others said before, I don’t know if I could justify letting all that money go to waste. I really love the images on my cartridges and don’t want to have to start from scratch. Does anyone have an old SCAL they want to sell? I have been warned about copycat SCALs that do not work.

64. Susan November 10, 2013 at 8:11 am #

I had two Cricuits — one I gave to my cousin and one is at my daughter’s shop. All she does with it is use Plaintain Schoolbook and the Hello Kitty font cartridge for vinyl lettering. I love my eClipse with eCal. It is a really superior machine and software. Plainly speaking, I just don’t care for Provo Craft’s design aesthetic. All their images are staid, flat, and dull. They would do best to just add an import feature to whatever they have going so we can use svg’s from any source. ;)

65. Linda from Arizona November 10, 2013 at 8:12 am #

Provo Craft lost me forever. They couldn’t give me one of their machines even if it sang me to sleep at night. I love my Cameo!

66. Debbie Eslinger November 10, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

There is really 2 issues that are in play here: The ability to use other cuts besides the cartridges is no different then Spellbinders suite regarding their dies, Provo Craft won their lawsuit Spellbinders lost, but both were protecting their brand and patent. Now to the other issue regarding cutting better I can not say as I do not own the Silhoutte but since I have change to the Roland blades my cuts are amazing,able to cut smaller and more detailed. If this information is correct and does happen in the future I would be happy and try it out.

67. DeAnna November 10, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Thank you Leo for your good detective work.
    I find the information intriguing but will not purchase from PC again. I will wait for KNK, MTC, and Silhouette America to come up with an equivalent to what ever PC has up their sleeve.
    I doubt that there would be any updates to older PC machines to make them work with whatever they have that is new. If PC would update older machine firmware, it would be plagued with problems that would cause them to issue the statement, ” We are working on it.”
    They “might” allow the E2 to be upgraded but I even doubt that. PC’s business model will require the purchase of a new machine.

I am very happy with my Zing and Cameo and companies like SVGcuts that value their customers and want to provide excellent customer service.

68. Kris November 11, 2013 at 3:33 am #

Thanks, Leo, for the interesting and thought provoking write up! Once ya go Cameo or eClips (or any of the other quality machines) ya never go back!!! ;)

69. Kathy B November 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

I agree that ProvoCraft played nasty with everyone, and is paying for it. That said, I have a Cricut, and an eClips side by side… they both have their uses… I have a Cuttlebug and a BigShot… I have a Gypsy. I have SCAL, MTC, Design Studio, Craft Room. Everything has their own niche uses that nothing else has (except maybe the Cuttlebug… but that was the first cardmaking tool I got, and is the only one that can be duplicated by the competitor) Oh yeah… Jukeboxes… 2 or 3 of those….

Now, in hindsight, I probably should have only gotten a software based cutter. But I do still use the Cricut because a lot of the designs are just easier to find in one place rather than scouring the web.

No… I don’t like PC’s business practices, but, I am a consumer… and I consume. You can’t know what a company is going to do when you start using their product. Will I try Provo’s new offering when it comes out? If it works with my machine and enhances it’s use… probably. That does not mean that I will use my eCal any less, or go on ProvoCraft’s site and badmouth Leo. Software dev’s are AWESOME. It’s hard work.

70. Lady Fair January 19, 2014 at 10:48 am #

If the new machine is at all restricted, PC won’t have the customer buy-in they’re looking for. I switched from Cricut to Silhouette and never looked back.

71. Kristy January 20, 2014 at 5:04 am #

Sounds good an all, thanks for the research, but I got the plug-in when Cricut tried to stop us from using MTC & SCAL so I’ve been doing what they are trying to get us to buy another machine for all along. Plus I recently bought the Cameo and bought a Pazzles machine this past summer so with 3 machines now I’m good. Once I get the Cameo down pat my Cricut/Cartridges will be going up for sale.

72. Heather January 21, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

I have bought 3 cricut machines over the past 5 years, after the past 2 years with no new cartridges that interested me I got a cameo,,,, love it,,, will never go back to cricut,,, I don’t see why they couldn’t make this new technology work with older machines and the new machine,, they just want more money over and over again every year,,, in my opinion, this is just a new mahchine to try to get the customers back that they lost in the first place,, never thought I would ever switch but I did and do not regret it one bit.

73. Kristin Lee January 21, 2014 at 4:19 pm #

Too little too late. I finally bought a Silhouette Cameo after having the original Cricut for years. The reason I held out… no ability to cut other SVG files. ProvoCraft should have seen the writing on the wall years ago!

74. Mary Hagler January 21, 2014 at 10:49 pm #

I have 2 cricuts and do not use them with my computer too much aggravation about 100 cartridges…don’t use much at all prefer my big shot Nd the dies easier And faster !just don’t like computer stuff! Also PC is a horrid company to try to find answerers
    To questions…if I wanted to design my own things I’d go with the cameo!

75. Brenda Hill January 23, 2014 at 5:08 am #

I own 5 Cricut machines and became frustrated with the many restrictions and problem with using my machines after upgrades. I only had SCALS (original) , but used it as a bridge for creativity with the Cricut machines. I wasn’t until ProvoCraft stopped updating Gypsy and the Imagine machines that I couldn’t continue my loyalty to them. I purchased the Silhouette machine in September ’2014 and am so please with the quality of cuts. And the Silhouette’s print and cut feature is a great feature. My last upgrade of the Cricut Craft Room rendered all of my Cricut machines (5 of them) useless. Provocraft emailed my solutions that do not work. My limited time to craft/create is too valuable to waste “fixing” my Cricuts. I can’t trust provocraft with their new machine. I hope it offers solutions for those who can only use their Cricut machines. Thanks Leo for the info.

76. Fran S. January 24, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

I agree with Kathy B. She makes great points about the industry in general and those of use that choose to be consumers. Regardless of the business practices of any of the die cutting companies, many crafty crafters have figured work-arounds that allow us to use what we have. I love my Cricut Expression. Additionally, with a Cuttlebug and Revolution, the early versions of SCAL and MTC and the Cricut I can cut what I need and be creative with the .svg files I have purchased or located for free.

I bear no ill will to PC or any company that gear their practices to be profitable. It is our choice to follow those businesses or not. Chatting about them negatively only damages our integrity. It has taught me to be a more patient consumer and to take time for some due diligence instead of being distracted by bells and whistles. I am a more thoughtful consumer and have reduced my resources to those that match my loyalty with a business acumen that allows for the joys and disappointments that this type of technology brings.

I look forward to all the new possibilities that the players in the domain create for our curiosity and enjoyment.

• Brandrew January 28, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

You would think that would be true about “Chatting about them negatively” is wrong. There were those that thought PC could do no wrong that the Cricut was the bees knees but in the negative talk we discussed all of what was wrong with the business practices of PC and how the were way too proprietary and controlling. With all the wrong said there were suggestions on what PC could do to better support it’s users. Now we have what we asked for, a cutter that we can cut what we want and pay per image if you want to purchase images and not have to pay top dollar for a cartridge that you may only want a few images from but if you want to still use those carts you can. Yeah! they came to their senses. BUT! They still need to keep their hand in our pockets. Here’s how. With PC Explorer it has not been explained but I’ve seen some information on the matter. Advertized it looks like your getting something comparable to the Silhouette Cameo. One thing they don’t show much on is the design software “Design Space”. The name suggest another web based software design tool that PC has control over and if I read correctly elsewhere, PC charge is $9.99 a month to use or $99 to buy. Again vaporware, if PC folded five years from today and you purchased images and used Design Tool to create your projects you’d be stuck with a cutter and have nothing to make it work. I’d personally purchase the software if be available to install on my system and use where ever I wish like a Craft events but I thinks we are still bound to internet connection only. The sharing of designs deal is just that, PC’s just bringing back what they had before shutting that site down so we could not share designs. Notice I said designs, the images must be purchased for that design, you can’t share the images.

They came close but still want to control your every move. I’d buy the Explorer over the Cameo only if the design software were not internet based. I have many cartridges that I’ve managed to buy over the years at a good price and would like to continue using them. With the Cameo I have to capture the Cricut image and convert to cut on the Cameo, workarounds are a hassle.

I wish I could tell you where I saw the Design Tool info but I can’t seem to find the site. I’ll hold my breath and my money until we see what they have to offer this go round.

• Shanna February 18, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

The software itself is free, the $9.99/mo or $99/yr is for unlimited use of non-licensed images and fonts (about 25,00 images and 200 fonts) if you don’t want to purchase them individually. I do agree about the need to able to work off-line. Maybe at some point they will allow us to sync our on-line acct with what is stored on our computer (much like I tunes) so that we can have a our images to work with off-line and then go on-line to purchase more or to be able to work with our images on-line when away from home. All in all this machine seems to be everything it should’ve been from day one. I hate going from one software to another to cut non PC images and this one seems to be a much higher quality machine.

77. alexis January 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Cricut just announced Explore. They are now offering SVGs for free. Silhouette charges $50 for the software. They have a new management team for the past 12 months. NOTHING BEATS FREE!

• Sandy January 27, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

What beats ‘free’ is the ability to cut WITHOUT being connected to the internet. And news flash – Provocraft doesn’t know the meaning of ‘free’, everything they do comes with strings attached.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. NEWS FLASH: A New Cricut Machine Coming Soon | - January 19, 2014

[…] want to read more about the patent info that was filed with descriptions, please feel free to go HERE to read […]