Problem: When I open SVG files, they don't show up on the mat!

Solution: Because SVG files contain coordinate information, some of our files may import OFF of the cutting area. We've got a quick fix for that!

Video Instructions

Written Instructions

1. From the main toolbar, select File and click Preferences...
  2. From the list of preferences, click Import Options
  3. In the section labeled When Importing  SVG, click Centered
  4. Click OK.
  5. That's it! You've successfully configured your software to automatically center SVG files!

Note: If you don't have this option, you'll need to update your Silhouette Studio software by visiting Silhouette America's website.

8 Responses to “SVG Files Not Opening In Silhouette Studio Designer Edition - Centering SVG Files”

1. Debra B. November 17, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU! This was making me crazy!

2. Tamara November 20, 2013 at 2:11 am #

Thank you, Leo(and team)!

I also had this “situation”. Now it’s so easy and great to open files and view them in the cutting area.

3. Ruth November 21, 2013 at 11:46 am #

OH my I never knew that existed. Thank you for sharing. I hated playing find and seek with some of my opened files, especially if it happened to be a light color.

4. karen December 26, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!

5. Christine January 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

So I’m not having a problem in SDS I can’t get my most recent project in SCAL 3 to open. I click once on the file and can see it but when I click to open the file the mat changes to 6×12 and nothing opens.

6. Irit Landgraf February 12, 2014 at 2:32 am #

I just got the upgrade. Did what the video here says. Still can’t open SVG files or PNG files. I keep getting the-
    The file you are trying to access is not supported. Can someone please help?

• SVGCuts February 18, 2014 at 7:30 am #

Irit, please use the contact form and email us directly so we can assist you.

7. Trish Wittman April 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

I have many items I have created with my Cricut and SCAL. I now have the Silhouette and was hoping to be able to use the files I’ve created. I upgraded to the designer edition and have tried everything above, but still get this message…The file you are trying to access is not supported. I’m very new to the Silhouette but I’ve tried everything I’ve seen suggested. Thanks