Separating SVG Files With Score Lines in SCAL and SSDE

In the following video, we'll discuss:

• Sure Cuts A Lot 3 / eCAL - Adding SVGCuts.com Zip files to My Designs
  • Silhouette Studio Designer Edition - Importing SVG files and setting cut styles
  • Silhouette Studio Designer Edition - How to use the eraser tool to separate elements of an SVG file from SVGCuts.com
  • Sure Cuts A Lot 3 / eCAL - Using layers to separate elements of an SVG file from SVGCuts.com

Video Tutorial

28 Responses to “Separating SVG Files With Score Lines in SCAL and SSDE”

1. Kathy November 26, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Thanks for the video on the new things in Ecals. You are awesome for sharing your knowledge with all of us

2. Shelly Griswold November 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Fantastic tutorial…thank you so much. It seems Sure Cuts A Lot 3 is much easier to use. Can you cut purchased Silhouette designs with Sure Cuts A Lot 3 as well? I would imagine you can, but I want to make sure before I purchase this software.

3. Barbara November 27, 2013 at 12:08 am #

What about Make The Cut? What is your take on that software

4. Martha Barnes November 27, 2013 at 3:00 am #

Thanks Leo,
    This is a well explained tutorial . Unfortunately , I have SCAL2. So I have a couple options. Continue what I had been doing in the past , purchasing a Sizzix eclips or winning a Cameo (lol).
    Thanks again , I love your tutorials
    Martha

• Lethia December 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Hi Martha

you can upgrade to SCAL3 at no extra cost by going

you will not lose SCAL2

hope this helps

• Joni December 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Lethia< Thanks! I, like Martha have scal2 and dont wanna lose it to download 3~ appreciate the help!

5. Robin November 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Does SCAL 3 work with Bosskut Gazelle? I can do this separation with the Funtime software but I like the multiple previews and the unzipping.
    Thanks

6. Robin November 27, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Sorry. I went to the SCAL website and see that it does work with the Gazelle.

• SVGCuts November 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

Robin, SCAL 3 does work with the Gazelle!

• Robin November 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm #

Thanks for confirming.

7. Gisele Camargo November 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Hi Mary and Leo
    Nice video, thanks! I am a Scrapbooker and I just love to decorate my photo albuns. I use Silhouette Cameo, but I recently bought SCL 3.0. I decided to by another cutting software exactly because of the differences that each software have.

So that your life is easier using Silhouette Studio Designer Edition and separating the parts for cutting, try to open you file, select the objects and go Object, Modify, Subtract. It should separate the parts, but not the lines. I used the Hot Air Balloon Base 2 file and it worked fine. The erasing way works, but I think this one is much faster.

Hope this helps
    Cheers from Brazil!
    LOVE your designs!
    Gisele

• Lyn Waring December 25, 2013 at 12:54 am #

this is exactly what I have trying to figure out – now I can make my pieces fit.

I am so appreciative of this ‘tip’ ……. have a great 2014

• Lyn Waring December 25, 2013 at 1:21 am #

Giselle,

Do you have a ‘trick’ – to be able to select just the ‘score lines’ – I like to use the perforated line option in Silhouette Designer – there must be some way to do it – I have tried ‘send back’/’send backwards’ but I cant select the ‘score line’ them! I would like to have this option!

I hope you get this ……………………

• Lisa GO BLACKHAWKS Perry January 6, 2014 at 10:04 am #

I’ve spent HOURS trying to figure this out as well, I hope to see a reply soon.

• Dawn September 21, 2014 at 11:48 am #

You ROCK!! That Modify – > Subtract is MUCH faster, and something I would have never thought of! [i barely know how subtract works, and I’m a computer designer] THANKS!

8. Doreen November 29, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks for this tutorial! I didn’t realize this quick, download feature was available! Woot, woot! That rocks! I also realized when I watched your video that I didn’t have any shapes in my library. I went and downloaded the add-on. I’m super new to all of this SVG thing, but it is really changing the way I do things. I am really loving it! SCAL is a great product and they are very happy to assist people too. Thanks for being so helpful!

9. Kelly November 29, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

Question, once you load the unzipped files into scal3 are they there forever in scal3 or do they delete themselves after I close scal3? Thanks! Kelly

10. Joanne January 6, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

I watched this video about adding SVG cuts zip files right into My Library. I am unable to get this feature to work. I am enjoying SCAl 3. I was a Cricut user with SCAL 2 but just made the switch. Anything to make things easier is a great help. Please help.

Thanks.

• SVGCuts January 9, 2014 at 7:33 am #

This feature only works with SVGCuts.com files. This does not include our free files.

• PapaSue February 2, 2014 at 10:46 am #

I’m using the latest vs of eCAL on a Mac with Mt Lion svgcuts zip files do not drag and drop either but png, jpg, svg, and the shapes from the shapes library all drag right onto the mat.

Also none of them show as files in the MyDesign either. Could this be because I’m using a newer version of eCAL than was used in the video or do I have to change a setting somewhere?

It is a really useful function and I really want it to work as shown in the video.

Thanks

11. Beatrice Lawson February 2, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Guys, sorry for asking what must be super silly questions… but I just unpacked my Cameo and one of the main reasons I bought it was that I have been loving and following SVG for ever and now of course I am reading that I need more than the basic software the Cameo came with.
    Just to make it clear – I understand I need to buy the Silhouette DE in order to use SVG files. BUT – do I need any other program like SCAL or whatever?? By the way, I am on a Mac, not sure if that changes anything.
    I am just concerned because i was trying to find basic Cameo tutorials for beginners and I got totally confused about what I need in order to buy, use and save svg files… with lots of comments about how you cannot save them on a Mac, how you cannot change the files and so on. If anyone can point me to a Cameo beginner guide for Mac users I would be very grateful.
    Many thanks!!

• SVGCuts February 18, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Nope, just one or the other. SCAL 3 or Silhouette Studio Designer Edition.

12. Melitta Ball February 12, 2014 at 8:56 am #

This tutorial was fantastic! and thanks to you, realized I hadn’t upgraded in a while so I downloaded, installed and registered my new SCAL 3 version today! Really cool!
    Blessings,
    Melitta

13. Christine February 13, 2014 at 8:50 pm #

When I open files in Either my SCAL2 or SCAL3 the score lines don’t appear. SCAL3 is current, meaning no updates available. What could be going on? I am also having an issue with SCAL3 in that after I created a file I can see it in the preview but when I open it there is nothing on the mat. Would love some advise as to what could be going on. Love all your files and really want to cut some stuff but would really like the score lines as well.

• SVGCuts February 18, 2014 at 7:28 am #

Christine, please use the contact form to email us so we can help you directly!

14. Doreen March 14, 2014 at 8:42 am #

Thanks for the tutorial! I had to come watch it again as I had forgotten how to do it. I love your videos. they are very helpful! Leo, you have a great voice for videos!

15. kathy April 6, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

el scal 3 es comatible con la sizzix eclips?????

• SVGCuts April 8, 2014 at 9:24 am #

No it is not. You need eCAL.