Sizzix eclips2 - First Look

sizzix-eclips-2-hero

UPDATE 4/1/2014: Click Here for the official review!

Let's face it, without cutting machines, SVGCuts wouldn't exist, so we're always excited when new cutting machines are introduced. Today I had the opportunity to talk to Sizzix's director of marketing, who gave me most of the details on the new Sizzix eclips2. Let's dive right in!

We'll see two versions of the Sizzix eclips2. The main differences between the two versions is Bluetooth capability which will allow you to do a few things. You'll not only be able to connect the cutting machine to your Bluetooth compatible computer without a USB cable, but you'll also be able to use a special tablet version of eCAL to control the eclips2! There may be additional features included in the Bluetooth version of the eclips2, but that information has not been disclosed as of yet. We'll be sure to have more information as it becomes available.

• The non Bluetooth eclips2 will retail for $299.99 and will come bundled with eCAL lite. eCAL 2 will be required to cut SVG files.
  • The Bluetooth version of the eclips2 will have all of the same features as the non Bluetooth eclips2, but will retail for about $50-$60 more than the non Bluetooth eclips2.
  • The eclips 2 will begin shipping this March (2014)
  • The Bluetooth version will be shipping late Spring / Early Summer (2014)

eShape Store

sizzix-eclips-eshape-storeAccompanying the eclips2 release is the launch of the Sizzix eshape Store. This all-new site will host hundreds of downloadable cutting files that import as a full shape, yet are arranged in labeled layers for multiple uses. These stylish shapes and fonts are compatible with the eclips, eclips2 and other electronic shape-cutting machines.

Features

With no cartridges required, the newly redesigned eclips2 DIY Electronic Cutter contains an enhanced motor with industrial-strength gears for speed, reduced noise, efficiency, precision cutting and more. In addition, the eclips2 is accompanied by free eCAL lite software to create your own designs, plus cut, score and draw/edit unique shapes for beautiful customized projects from the start.

• Create and modify your own designs
  • Cut, score and draw unique shapes
  • Use any TrueType or OpenType fonts
  • Weld multiple shapes and letters into one
  • Appearance Styles, like Shadow and Blackout, quickly change look of letters and shapes
  • Hundreds of shapes included, with thousands more available online
  • Access the Sizzix® eshape Store right from your toolbar!

Enhanced Features

• Includes FREE eCAL lite electronic cutting software
  • eCAL 2 software upgrade unlocks SVG files
  • Precision Cutting – No more shapes with rounded edges!
  • True Scoring – No more perforations. Clean folds every time.
  • Laser Cut Preview offers sneak peek of cut, eliminating material waste
  • Faster, quieter and stronger than ever

18 Responses to “Sizzix eclips2 - First Look”

1. Dora January 17, 2014 at 7:32 pm #

Wow! I adore my eClips and have often wished for wireless capability! So exciting! Do you know if eCal2 will come with the ability to work on a different page during cutting? It always slows things down having to wait for each page to cut. Great news! Thanks!

• Pam Plencner January 18, 2014 at 4:36 pm #

Try opening another instance of eCal and work in that one while the other is printing. That is what I do and it works fine for me.

2. LeslieZee January 17, 2014 at 7:40 pm #

From what you’re reporting, the bluetooth version will debut right around the time of my birthday. What a great gift this will make. My favorite cutting machine with enhanced software that will cut my favorite files frm SVGCuts even better than before!

I cannot wait! Bluetooth Eclips2, eCAL 2 software upgrade and SVGCuts – a match made in heaven and a wonderful birthday gift to look forward to.

3. Lisa Justice January 17, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

Well crap, I know where my tax refund is going! LOL

4. Lynda C January 17, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

WOW… that is too cool.. I’m sure it is going to be one hot ticket item!

5. Kim Fordyce January 18, 2014 at 3:36 am #

Wow this is exciting. I’m looking at buying a new cutting machine. I have the baby Cricut and the Cricut Imagine. I own SVG cuts and the Make the Cut program but have not been able to use them after the lawsuit. Don’t want to make the same mistake and buy the wrong machine.

6. Denise Chavez January 18, 2014 at 5:25 am #

I’m excited!

7. Pam Plencner January 18, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

Saw the Eclips2 at CHA this past week. Definitely on my wish list, but I want to wait for the Bluetooth. Also met the lady designing for the Eshape store. She hand cuts all her designs and then they get scanned in and cleaned up. Seems like she concentrates only on flat shapes. I don’t know if she will be the only designer. But I do know that Mary’s kits are superior to any others out there that I have seen. SVGCuts ROCK!

8. Lisa February 5, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Leo, 2 questions…

If you already own the original eclips and have ecal will it be compatible with the new machine?
    and
    If it will not be compatible what will the upgrade cost be for ecal2?

Thx!

• SVGCuts February 18, 2014 at 7:32 am #

Yes, eclips2 will work with the original eCAL.

9. Starr March 4, 2014 at 7:47 am #

Do you know when the eclips2 will be released for purchase?

• SVGCuts March 4, 2014 at 9:13 am #

Hopefully by the end of the month!

10. Wendy March 15, 2014 at 12:08 pm #

Waiting on blue tooth version. Any idea when it will be available. Happy birthday to me!

11. Ginnie Perslin March 16, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Will I be required to have ecal2 to continue to download new svgcuts shapes or from the eshape store?

12. Krystal March 20, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

Has anyone had any luck cutting real wood paper on this machine? Just wondering about the cutting force?

13. Gloria June 3, 2014 at 9:34 am #

I’ve been thinking of getting the eclips2, however, since I’m new to the SVG CUTS world Im not sure if it will be compatible with my tablet…. I so happen to run into a YouTube video tutorial from svg cuts and I’m so in love with everything I have seen so far….you guys are absolutely great!!! If you can assist it would gratefully be appreciated….I need this information so I can start to purchase my svgcuts. I’m so excited!!!!

• SVGCuts June 3, 2014 at 10:55 am #

Gloria, drop us a line using our Contact form! :)

14. barbara July 25, 2014 at 7:40 pm #

Has anyone purchased the Eclips 2, and can you tell us your thoughts?