Circle Test - Cricut Explore, Silhouette CAMEO, Sizzix eclips2

In my opinion, the circle test is one of the best ways to test a cutting machine's precision and capability when it comes to performing tight, intricate cuts. As some of you have experienced in the past, older Cricut cutting machines performed poorly when cutting small circles. Silhouette and Sizzix have done a very good job with this area and Cricut has finally joined them.

We had the Silhouette CAMEO, Sizzix eclips2 and the Cricut Explore cut circles with the following diameter (in inches) ; .05”, .1”, .15”, .25”, .5”, .75”, 1.25”, 2.5”, 5”. Download the test file by clicking here. (Size circles.svg file to 10.548 x 5.00). All machines were using brand new factory blades and mats, American Crafts cardstock (various colors, same weight) and manufacturer recommended speed and pressure settings.

Smallest Circle Results

The Sizzix eclips2 was able to cut a manageable .05" circle. And by manageable, I mean that it was shaped like a circle and not just a speck of paper. The circle also stayed together to allow transfer from the mat onto an Epson scanner. The image below is magnified and not actual size. We did this to show you the detail of the smallest circle we were able to cut based on the sizes above. Cricut Explore is shown in dark blue, Silhouette CAMEO in light blue and Sizzix eclips2 in magenta.

smallest-circle-magnified

Circle Test Results

circle-test-explore-small

circle-test-eclips2-small

circle-test-CAMEO-small

Circle Test Animation

animation-hero

Conclusion

When creating our SVG projects, Mary never uses circles smaller than .1" in diameter and when she does, they are primarily used as holes for brads or for stitching thread or twine. As far as the circle test goes, we're happy with the performance of all three machines!

15 Responses to “Circle Test - Cricut Explore, Silhouette CAMEO, Sizzix eclips2”

1. Linda Hurley March 15, 2014 at 6:08 pm #

We are so lucky to have Leo and Mary to do these unbiased tests. Thank you for always going above and beyond for us.

2. Di Barnes March 15, 2014 at 10:57 pm #

Your creations are amazing & thanks for the cutter comparison info. Just wondering if you’ve done any comparisons with the KNK Zing or other KNK cutters?
    Warm regards, Di

• SVGCuts March 16, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

Di, if KNK wants to send us a machine to test and compare, we’d be happy to do it!

3. Michelle Coleman March 16, 2014 at 1:30 am #

Thanks! Can’t wait to see what the results of the other tests will be :)

4. Dora March 16, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

Hi! I am so in love with my eClips that I don’t have a reason to upgrade, really – but did you try out the wireless/bluetooth capabilities on the eClips2? I would love to be able to run ecal on the laptop without the wires running across the craft room. Just wondering if any of the new features are worth the switch. also, will you be selling them in your other store? I got SUCH a good deal a few years ago on the machine I have now from you folks. Thanks! Dora :)

• SVGCuts March 17, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

Not yet! That version won’t be out until later this year :)

5. Vanessa Snell March 16, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

Thanks for the comparison test. I, too enjoy your informative and unbiased videos. Did you think the Explore was extremely slow compared to the other machines?

• SVGCuts March 17, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

Yes actually, but I was told that if you have Design Space open and something else open in another tab, it can slow it down. So basically, make sure you only have Design Space open in the browser window!

6. Krystal March 20, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

Thanks for the tests. Do you know the cutting force of the Eclips 2? Is this machine consistent? I have a portrait and find it can be inconsistent after a lot of use in one day. The cuts begin to mess up some times :( I am looking to upgrade and I love the option of the mac compatible software and scoring. Are you going to be doing a review of the Eclips 2?

7. karen cotlear March 22, 2014 at 9:47 am #

HI, I NEED YOUR HELP, I HAVE THE MINI CRICUT AND I NEED TO KNOW IF I CAN BUY YOUR AMAZING DESIGNS.

THANKS

KAREN

• SVGCuts March 28, 2014 at 7:42 am #

Hi Karen, I’m sorry but you cannot. Our files do not work with the Cricut mini.

8. martine March 25, 2014 at 6:58 am #

Could you also do this with the Brother ScanNcut please :D

9. Bonnie Bunch March 28, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

Hello, I am new to your site and also to the Cricut Explore machine. I downloaded some of your freebies and learn via utube how to add to the design center. The gal teaching only did a single cut. My question: how do you upload the whole item so I don’t have to upload each separate piece?

10. Thalia April 20, 2014 at 4:45 am #

Hi, I’m looking to buy my first cutting machine. I would like to see a comparison in features. The pros and cons of each machine. Right now I’m more incline for the Cameo and Eclips2, but I would like to hear some advice from people who actually used. I would appreciate any recommendation. Thank you so much.

11. monica girard September 30, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

Hi, I’m also looking to buy my first cutting machine. My choice is the eclips 2. So I wonder if I expect the release to use with my wireless computing. What else should I buy to compose a completely cutting equipment for thin plastics and fabrics. Could you recommend the accessories that I could get? Thank you.