Using SVG Files With Silhouette Studio Designer Edition Version 3

silhouette-studio-version-3-hero

Silhouette Studio Designer Edition version 3 has made some wonderful improvements that will help streamline your SVG workflow while giving you more control over the end result. This is especially true when using files from our store, SVGCuts.com!

Before You Get Started (Centering SVG Files)

By default, Silhouette Studio Designer Edition may not have SVG files set to "Center" when you open them. This may give the illusion that SVG files are blank when you open them when they're actually located somewhere off of the mat (you may have to scroll up/down, left/right to locate the actual cut file). Instead of having to search for the cut, you can change a quick preference to ensure that your designs will always show up on the center of your cutting mat in Silhouette Studio Designer Edition. Just follow these easy steps!

1. On a Mac, Click Silhouette Studio from your tool bar, on a PC, click Edit.

2. Select Preferences.

3. Click the Import Options section of the Preferences menu.

import-options-silhouette-studio-desginer-edition-v-3

4. Click the Centered radio button under the When Importing SVG section.

centered-silhouette-studio-designer-edition

5. Click Apply

6. That's it! You've successfully set your SVG files to center when you open them using the File >> Open method!

Importing SVG Files In Silhouette Studio Designer Edition V3

The following video will show you how to import and prepare SVG files for cutting with Silhouette Studio Designer Edition. The first part of the video shows you how to add the files to the built-in Silhouette Studio Library and the second part shows you how to open them temporarily using the File >> Open option. Both are correct methods and which one you use is completely up to you.

9 Responses to “Using SVG Files With Silhouette Studio Designer Edition Version 3”

1. Susan June 7, 2014 at 8:09 am #

Hi Leo,

Thank you. I have already brought the svgs into my Silhouette library so, can I follow the instructions above from this point? That is to say, can I place an svg on my virtual mat and then click Edit, Centrerd?

Susan

2. Norma Scott June 21, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Thank you Leo, since my computer crashed again, I finally updated my Silhouette and was scared when I saw it..LOL But your Video Helped so much… And I dont know what way I going to store my files this time… I have always organized my SVGcut files by kit in the silhouette library I loved it that way, but if your computer Crashes Its all lost, so hours of work went down the drain…Thank you so much for your video’s they are so very helpful

3. peggy green June 27, 2014 at 2:23 pm #

thankyou for your help . I just love your site its so together

4. peggy green June 27, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Thankyou ,your help is invaluable, and your svgcuts.com satisfies the little girl in me

5. stephanie June 28, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

THANK YOU!!!!! i was having SUCH a hard time cutting on my new toy and this was an awesome video. thank you thank you thank you!!!!

6. Roxanne R Raby, LMBT July 21, 2014 at 5:27 am #

You guys are the GREATEST! Any question I have you always have the answer! You really do go over and above!!! Thank you for all your help! The videos are so so so helpful!
    I just so enjoy all my files anything I’m looking for I find!!
    Mother’s Day is always a big hit, there is a dinner and I try to out do myself every year and this was no exception, I made the gazbo AWESOME!!
    Thanks again!!!!!

7. Larae H August 2, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

Thank you so much for this video, Leo. I have had my Silhouette since last Sept and have been using DE2. I had heard so many people that weren’t happy with the changes that they made for Version 3 that I have never downloaded it. After seeing this video, I think I will. You made it look so easy and I have heard that they have made even more changes since they came out with the first version of DE3

8. Judy Dickson August 26, 2014 at 6:55 am #

Everytime I move (select all and then move) and object it does not totally cut. I am trying to make the clock fom the Madison cuts, the French County clock and when I try to put some of the circles together along with some of the gears, and I move them around on the mat, they do not cut the complete circle. It is like I have to use up a 12 x12 cardstock for each black circle and then one again for the gears. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, because when I cut them as they load on the mat it works fine. I am finding myself guessing and cutting out scraps to put on the mat in the middle, hoping I won’t waste too much paper. Please help.

9. Jenny Kung October 2, 2014 at 12:45 pm #

Thank you!!! I loved the video. I have not cut in a while because I was so frustrated with the new edition. I am ready to go again. Thank you so much! :)